Author Topic: Barani Meteowind Pro - IoT  (Read 6263 times)

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
Barani Meteowind Pro - IoT
« on: June 02, 2020, 02:26:41 AM »
As mentioned, I would like to present you my new buy, the Barani Meteowind IoT

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

This professional anemometer is a part of IoT Barani family and, at the same way of Meteohelix Pro, is available in Sigfox and Lorawan version, in my case, I preferred the Sigfox version, as for my Meteohelix Pro, due to a better signal coverage in my area.

The quality construction is absolutely at very high-level, all parts, except cups, are metal made, very rugged, perfect polished as you can see in this images

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The solar-powered transmission box is separated from anemometer with 5 mt cable and need to be fixed in South direction or the better position  to receive sunlight

Mauro

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
Re: Barani Meteowind Pro - IoT
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 02:55:34 AM »
After the first install, the first impact was very positive and I was surprised for the high sensitivity compared to my Vp2 anemometer, installed at the same height at 1mt of distance

With very low winds, very light breeze, the cup and the vane of the Davis anemometer is often stuck and the console not register data, on the same time the Meteowind cups and vane is moving gently but constantly

this probably due to the assembly quality and to the superior materials and can give the ability to a very lower starting threshold

this can easily viewed on this video

[youtube]https://youtu.be/6mcdoKm2rBM[/youtube]

A look at the web interface

Mauro

Offline Jasper3012

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 02:15:20 PM »
So how does this all work? The MeteoHelix + rain gauge is one unit that sends data to the website and the MeteoWind is a seperate unit that also sends data to the website?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 03:21:18 PM »
Please respond to how it all works as a new thread. I think many people are going to have questions as to how all this works and much more. I'd like to make it a sticky thread. Please see PM with a list of questions to get started. Then you can post a link to that thread here (before or after I make it sticky) for reference.

That anemometer looks top quality. It is beautiful.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 03:31:03 PM »
Please respond to how it all works as a new thread. I think many people are going to have questions as to how all this works and much more. I'd like to make it a sticky thread. Please see PM with a list of questions to get started. Then you can post a link to that thread here (before or after I make it sticky) for reference.

That anemometer looks top quality. It is beautiful.

Thanks Galfert, but I can reply to Jasper, is not a problem, the question is intelligent and useful for others, if you want, obviously  ;)
Mauro

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 04:15:15 PM »
Yes please reply to Jasper (but do so as a new thread), it is a very good question. I'm just saying that along with his question is the list of questions that I also sent you. I think if you put all of those thoughts together and create like a main overview in a new thread that it would gain better exposure to other people. I can then sticky that thread. Then in this thread we can link to that sticky once it exists.
Tele-Pole

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 04:21:17 PM »
Yes please reply to Jasper (but do so as a new thread), it is a very good question. I'm just saying that along with his question is the list of questions that I also sent you. I think if you put all of those thoughts together and create like a main overview in a new thread that it would gain better exposure to other people. I can then sticky that thread. Then in this thread we can link to that sticky once it exists.

Ok Galfert,
if you agree, I will make a new post, that I will call Barani FAQ
inside the users will find a link to the most common user requests, if not useful or if there's no answer for a particular question, I'll be happy to reply

also, please, I ask you to remove this last messages that are not coherent with the post, and move Jasper request on faq post, do you agree?

Mauro

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 07:06:16 PM »
I'm just as confused as Jasper. The post with link to Barani FAQ website is not what I'm asking. Frankly I think it is a terrible FAQ. I see that there is an attempt to group the FAQ but none of the sections mean anything to me. I don't even know where to begin and I don't want to read an entire knowledge base of linked write-ups. I'm looking for a comprehensive post that stands alone. A post that clearly explains the basics. Requirements. Connectivity. Software. Basically what does it take to put up a complete station and also how to maybe even integrate these great Barani sensors with other brands like a Davis ISS if possible to create some sort of hybrid. Many Davis owners use sensors from other companies, as it is typical to find anemometers and rain gauges that are not from Davis working in Davis installations. I'm not necessarily focused on integrating with Davis if this is not possible. That is just an obvious question that I know will be asked a million times which is why I would want that answered in some sort of basic understanding of how Barani parts work.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 07:07:55 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 02:11:51 AM »
I'm just as confused as Jasper. The post with link to Barani FAQ website is not what I'm asking. Frankly I think it is a terrible FAQ. I see that there is an attempt to group the FAQ but none of the sections mean anything to me. I don't even know where to begin and I don't want to read an entire knowledge base of linked write-ups. I'm looking for a comprehensive post that stands alone. A post that clearly explains the basics. Requirements. Connectivity. Software. Basically what does it take to put up a complete station and also how to maybe even integrate these great Barani sensors with other brands like a Davis ISS if possible to create some sort of hybrid. Many Davis owners use sensors from other companies, as it is typical to find anemometers and rain gauges that are not from Davis working in Davis installations. I'm not necessarily focused on integrating with Davis if this is not possible. That is just an obvious question that I know will be asked a million times which is why I would want that answered in some sort of basic understanding of how Barani parts work.

Very well Galfert,
I perfectly understood but, please, allow me to express my thoughts by apologizing for the mistakes but my English is quite scholastic and I'm sure you will forgive me ;)
if I visit, for example, the Ecowitt site, I am NOT explained many of the things you ask for, the knowledge of what a gw1000 does and can do comes from a constant search for users in the various forum and this allows you to have, gradually, the answer to all the questions and doubts that arise.
I never happened to visit a site that explains how to connect sensors from other manufacturers, it is the users who discover and divulge it, on the other hand, I think it is almost impossible to be able to create a guide that includes all possible questions and requests.
If I visit the Barani website I find it quite understandable, I see that there are solar radiation shields, professional sensors that require connections to dataloggers for professional use and a series of sensors and IoT weather stations, nothing more and nothing less than what I find in the site of any manufacturer, and even more so than those of the professional sector.
if I visit the weather stations section I have a complete overview in my opinion of what I can or cannot do, of course then it's up to me to deepen, if I want it and if I find it interesting

https://www.baranidesign.com/weather-station-packages

if I have doubts about what Sigfox or Lorawan is and how it works, just click on the wireless link to get this
https://www.baranidesign.com/faq-articles/2019/3/21/sigfox-lorawan-compared-to-gprs-gsm-lte-nbiot-in-weather-stations

if I have doubts about coverage, just click on the coverage link to get this
https://www.sigfox.com/en/coverage

etc etc
Other than that, for my part, I will try to create a post that explains the basics of what you ask, but a question / answer phase will always be necessary

Mauro

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 02:47:50 AM »
yesterday's comparison on the wind between Meteowind and Vp2
it was a sunny day with weak ventilation, I await slightly more eventful days
however, a difference in sensitivity is confirmed, the data are consistent with each other with the vp2 shifted lower
in some moments, of extremely weak wind, Vp2 did not record data

Mauro

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 04:33:57 PM »
I make a further consideration, always tied to differences in sensitivity, but this time focused on direction

this morning the weak wind present suddenly rotated from SSW to NNE, the rotation of the wind occurred at about 9.45

if we note the graph, imprecise due to the manual alignment, we notice a certain delay by vp2 to record this change of direction respect Meteowind, analyzing data in greater detail, Meteowind recorded the change exactly at 9.45
the ws80 ecowitt between 9.40 and 9.45
vp2 at 10.15

the difference is remarkable, the vp2 needed reinforcement in the intensity, which took place in those minutes, to complete the rotation of the wind vane

Mauro

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 05:41:45 PM »
Hi Mauro

Thanks for your information about the Barani gear, interesting stuff!

Do you work for Barani or have any connection to them?

Regards

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 05:49:56 PM »
I take it this comparison is like for like, brand new vPro2 and brand new Barani devices too?
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 05:53:02 PM »
Hi Mauro

Thanks for your information about the Barani gear, interesting stuff!

Do you work for Barani or have any connection to them?

Regards

Thanks,
absolutely not commercial interest, but a simply beta tester cooperation
If a products is good I'm happy to share my opinion, if not I send my opinions to improve it

Mauro

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 08:08:44 AM »
I take it this comparison is like for like, brand new vPro2 and brand new Barani devices too?

sorry,
my English is very poor, I hope understood well, if not, please forgive me
Davis vp2 is a 2018 version, installed about 12 months ago, so the last version
the Meteowind is new.
if you have doubts about different age, take a look at the first video, in this case, the vp2 and Meteowind has both 18 months of life, the Metewowind IoT, in the background on the video, is new
there are no differences about sensitivity between the two Meteowind

Mauro

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2020, 08:39:53 AM »
i have doubts, yes, but as to the vp2 vain is actually working correctly, nothing more than that.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2020, 10:18:34 AM »
i have doubts, yes, but as to the vp2 vain is actually working correctly, nothing more than that.

I'm sorry,
I can only confirm that my vp2 works perfectly, the maintenance is performed monthly and in a maniacal way, without the use of sprays of any kind
I can't solve your doubts, I only report my experience, if it can be useful, nothing more
I don't have to convince anyone but thank you

Mauro

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 10:27:08 AM »
this morning results

Mauro

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 01:17:10 PM »
I was surprised for the high sensitivity compared to my Vp2 anemometer, installed at the same height at 1mt of distance

you should not be surprised really. its a matter of physics. The surface area of vp2 cups vs Barani Meteowind Pro cups are different, so you have a more sensitive anemometer on the larger surfaced area.
Regards Simon

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2020, 03:29:23 PM »
I was surprised for the high sensitivity compared to my Vp2 anemometer, installed at the same height at 1mt of distance

you should not be surprised really. its a matter of physics. The surface area of vp2 cups vs Barani Meteowind Pro cups are different, so you have a more sensitive anemometer on the larger surfaced area.

of course, so, I will probably have a lower performance with strong winds than Davis anemometer
I will check, next days, we will probably have very high wind intensity

Mauro

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2020, 05:04:29 PM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ] Today wind results:
max speed

Vp2 - 5,4 m/s at 11,30 AM
Ecowitt ultrasonic - 7,5 m/s at 11,16 AM
Barani Meteowind - 8,0 m/s at 11,30 AM

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Mauro

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2020, 03:32:30 AM »
Tonight wind data, Barani Meteorain vs Vp2

Max wind speed:
vp2 - 4 m/s at 2,30 AM
Barani Meteowind - 5,8 m/s at 2,30 AM
Ecowitt ultrasonic - 5,7 m/s at 2,30 AM

Mauro

Offline Daniel785

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2020, 02:59:19 AM »
How easy is this to mount to a pole?

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2020, 03:08:37 AM »
How easy is this to mount to a pole?

correct observation, the supplied bracket makes the fixing task not exactly intuitive and it is necessary to adapt, or with the use of a couple of accessories, such as the following

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

or simply with a couple of metal clamps

Mauro

Offline Daniel785

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2020, 07:07:37 AM »
Hi is there plans to be able to change the units to mph on the meteowind IoT?

anything