Author Topic: Recommend Ethernet connected solution?  (Read 2417 times)

Offline ASword

Recommend Ethernet connected solution?
« on: July 07, 2022, 11:59:21 PM »
Hi all, I just registered and thought I would ask for some recommendations as a way to intro myself.  I’m a software dev, and want to integrate a weather station into my bespoke home automation system.  WiFi is a non-starter, so an Ethernet connection to the LAN is a must (well… almost:  a USB connection to my Linux SBC could work). 

The “indoor” sensors must be separate from the console, or able to go outside at the end of a cable (in which case Ethernet is a must).  The outdoor sensors ought to be pole mounted and preferably separate mounts for the major sensors, with 100’ of RF range or better. 

A nice query API is preferable, but an internet connection must not be a requirement to extract data.  Would like at least temperature, rain, wind, wind direction, barometric, light sensors… more data is a bonus.  My house already has well over 50 sensor channels, so more to the party are welcome.

I don’t want a display console, and eventually won’t care about their app or website.  Built my own.

The Davis sensors look quite good and robust, and I’d be willing to pay for them.  What sticks in my craw is that their WLL and Envoy devices seem outlandishly expensive — my whole Linux host cost a third as much!  Also problematic is that WLL is out of stock everywhere.

The EcoWitt and related brands look economical, except that constantly breaking parts might mean it’s a false economy.  Do they have any available Ethernet gateways?  Online stores are less than clear.

West coast weather — wet and windy, with snow a few times a year, and often a crazy hot summer (hit 45 oC last year) and unit will be in direct punishing sunlight for >10 hours/day for a couple of months each year.

Thanks in advance for your input and questions!

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
Re: Recommend Ethernet connected solution?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 06:42:49 AM »
The ecowitt gw2000 gateway has a lan connection: https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/goodsDetail/178#.
You can query it via http: https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/forum/forumDetails/496
you can query it via local api: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=43742.msg445318#msg445318
You can query the ecowitt servers: https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/forum/forumDetails/438

Offline ASword

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 09:52:55 AM »
Yeah, I had come across the GW2000 on their website.  I wasn’t clear on whether it just worked with the WittBoy kit or not, but the pinned info thread seems to indicate it works with most sensors.  [tup]

Thanks!

Offline ASword

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 12:38:06 PM »
Looking more deeply at the GW2000, it appears to only be available with the WittBoy bundle.  I've read a bit about that sensor bundle, and its wind/rain sensors seem a bit suspect... but I would buy a WH40 and WS68 to go along with it, if I knew they worked simultaneously with the WittBoy bundle.  The info forum thread indicates that they can work together, but not whether they can work together all at the same time...?

The reason I would consider getting multiple sensors is because my property is moderately large, but positioning things is a bit tricky.  The WittBoy would do well on one side of the house (plus there I could supply it with power for the heater... by the way, what kind of power does it need -- AC? DC? how many volts & amps?), but on the other side I can get 50' away from any obstructions to get better measurements.  Plus our microclimate is so crazy the weather on one side vs the other is often different!

Also, the GW2000 has its sensors at the end of a long lead, it looks like?  Can that be placed outside?  Does the lead detach from the unit (I've learned not to assume as much) so I could run it through a hole in a wall?

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 01:18:34 PM »
The gw2000 is an indoor unit and the t/h sensor is non detachable ( is an upgraded gw1100/gw1000 ).
I would suggest asking ecowitt support ( support@ecowitt.net ) for the availability of the gateway only ( Henry is super cooperative ).

P.S.
for ws90 power requirements see: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=43135.0
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 01:28:58 PM by davidefa »

Offline BoDuke

• Global Moderator
  • Contributor
  • Ambient Weather, Ecowitt, WeeWX, Custom PHP
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 02:16:27 PM »
The Ecowitt GW2000 is compatible with all the wireless Ecowitt sensors.  Just make sure you're getting the right frequency for your country because they make 433/868/915 MHz ones.  Initially, and possibly still, it was only sold as part of the Wittboy package.  They will probably be selling it separately once they have a larger volume produced and available.

To learn more about the Ecowitt options, there's a lot more info here:
MUST READ - Fine Offset Clone Models,sensor compatibility,firmware + other info

Offline ASword

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 04:52:28 PM »
Having read the info forum post (the “MUST READ” one) in more detail, it looks like there’s no point in adding a WS68 to the WittBoy kit, but adding a WH40 is supported.  Since the haptic rain sensor still seems to be a bit of a crapshoot, the WH40 seems worthwhile.  We get a lot of varied rain here, so that’s probably a win.  I would like a second / alternate wind sensor as well, but it doesn’t seem supported… yet.  The GW2000 clearly has a capable SoC internally so maybe they’ll add that in the future as firmware updates seem to add functionality fairly often.

I’m getting close to pulling the trigger on this.  I’m a bit concerned about where I’m planning to install the unit — it’ll be only 10’ from the corner of my house, and there’s no way to get it above the height of the building at that point.

Also, can anyone give me more info about the WS90 heater circuit?  Cord length, plug type, volts, amps, AC/DC?  Never mind, found this:  https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=43135.0

three more questions:
1) how long is the heater power cord on the WS90?
2) does using the heater circuit obviate the need for batteries?
3) what range of pole diameter can be used with the WS90?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 05:06:12 PM by ASword »

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 05:22:51 PM »
I think you are confusing the Wittboy and the WS90 they are one and the same. Do you perhaps mean the WS80  which is a 6-in-one sensor array with ultrasonic wind speed and direction but no haptic rain sensor?

In which case mine has about 2.5 metres of cable for the heater which is long enough for it to reach inside my shed, the WS80 is mounted on the corner of the shed on a pole roughly  2 metres up.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline ASword

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 05:26:25 PM »
I was trying to be clear (unsuccessfully it would seem!) that I was asking about the cord on the sensor package of the WittBoy, which is (I believe) the WS90.

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 05:37:42 PM »
I was trying to be clear (unsuccessfully it would seem!) that I was asking about the cord on the sensor package of the WittBoy, which is (I believe) the WS90.

My apologies, I thought you had said the Wittboy was doubtful because you said the haptic rain sensor was a crap shoot which I'm inclined to agree with! The WS80 has everything except the haptic rain so if you go for a WS40 rain  I see no point in having a WS90 as well. Extension leads which are 10  or 20 metres and fit both WS90 and WS80 are available. My WS80 came with the short lead.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline ASword

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 05:40:32 PM »
Yeah, in hindsight I see the confusion.  I want the GW2000, and at the moment it appears the only way to get one is bundled with the WS90... so I'm thinking to get a WH40 along with it to have a better rain measurement (since it supports reading from both).

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2022, 05:53:32 PM »
The WS2000 is available here in the UK from a UK supplier as a separate item which accounts for my confusion  :roll: It is on the Ecowitt store as well but that means ordering from China!

Stuart
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 05:55:04 PM by broadstairs »

Offline ASword

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 06:35:07 PM »
If by "on the Ecowitt store" you mean this:  https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/goodsDetail/178

Note that there is only a "buy from other shop" button, no "add to cart" button.

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2022, 02:37:05 AM »

Offline ASword

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2022, 09:41:14 AM »
Thanks.  Weirdly organized store.  Nice they have a 3D view — now I see how the sensor cable doesn’t detach, but seems like a strange design decision.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 11:09:51 AM by ASword »

Offline ASword

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2022, 11:18:18 AM »
Can anyone tell me what kind of USB connector (A, C, micro ; male/female) the power input requires?  The webpage under-specifies the power connector and I haven’t found a “real” manual for the thing yet.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 05:51:07 PM by ASword »

Offline vinceskahan

• Senior Contributor
    • home site
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2022, 10:39:48 PM »
The Davis sensors look quite good and robust, and I’d be willing to pay for them.  What sticks in my craw is that their WLL and Envoy devices seem outlandishly expensive — my whole Linux host cost a third as much!  Also problematic is that WLL is out of stock everywhere.

The Davis console also supports a serial or usb datalogger to connect to your Linux host and you can do things like meteopi and the like etc. as an alternate way to connect the station to the host.

But that 'lots of sensors not connected to the console' thing with no wifi (why?) complicates things a lot or ups the ante on cost a lot.  Why no wifi ?

Also, you didn't mention Internet being perhaps required for the sensors to work.  My recollection is the ecowitt gateway used to require constant internet connectivity due to watchdog timers in the gateway that phoned home occasionally.  I don't know about the current ethernet-capable gateway, but would that make it a no-go for you ?

I guess I'm not seeing how you can do much all ethernet and sprinked around lots of locations other than a pi-based solution.

WeeWX sites:
  Davis VP2+DFARS to a pi4
  EcoWitt GW1000, WH32 outdoor T+H, multiple WH31 indoor T+H, WH51 soilMoisture (docker)
  Davis AirLink (inside)
  PurpleAir (outside)
Home site:        https://www.skahan.net/
Wunderground: KWAFEDER15
PWS:                KWFEDER15
CWOP:              CW6881

Offline ASword

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2022, 12:39:29 AM »
Vince, I’m not sure what you’re quoting?  Whatever weather sensors I get will be RF to the gateway, as that seems to be the standard, and is robust.

The no wifi thing is because, in my experience, wifi signals are easily blocked (e.g. from my mechanical room into the main house), and wifi requires configuration so when an access point fails and has to be replace (relatively common) all devices using it need to be updated.  Ethernet, on the other hand, is click-and-go.  My whole system is Ethernet, except for the end user mobile devices.  So I want the weather gateway/console device to be on the Ethernet LAN.

I would much prefer not needing an internet connection to have a functioning system.  Uploading to weather services as an added feature is fine, but requiring it to get weather data from my own sensors is not.

Offline ASword

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2022, 11:25:13 AM »
Ecowitt replied with some answers:

* GW2000 power cord is USB A male.
* GW2000 does NOT require an internet connection.
* WS90's heater cord is quite short and they sell a 10m or 20m cable.
* GW2000 sensor lead is not detachable.

Planning to order from them as it looks like this piece of kit most closely matches my requirements & budget.  Thanks for all the answers here.

Offline vinceskahan

• Senior Contributor
    • home site
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2022, 04:21:33 PM »
* GW2000 does NOT require an internet connection.

I know they replied saying this, but you might want to verify it in the ecowitt forum here with folks who already have one, just in case.....
WeeWX sites:
  Davis VP2+DFARS to a pi4
  EcoWitt GW1000, WH32 outdoor T+H, multiple WH31 indoor T+H, WH51 soilMoisture (docker)
  Davis AirLink (inside)
  PurpleAir (outside)
Home site:        https://www.skahan.net/
Wunderground: KWAFEDER15
PWS:                KWFEDER15
CWOP:              CW6881

Offline ASword

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2022, 12:34:14 AM »
My gear arrived today — faster than I expected given shipping times from China since the supply chain disruptions started.  I have installed and configured the GW2000, and it seems to be working fine.  Not quite ready to install the outdoor units, but maybe this weekend (although hot weather is predicted, so may not be a good idea).  I’ve gotten most of the software support written already, so should be able to get it finished on the weekend too.

Guess I’ll need to figure out the weather service(s) to contribute to as well.  Any recommendations?

Offline ASword

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2022, 02:25:17 PM »
Wow, super frustrated by a triviality -- I bought 2 lengths of pipe as a mounting pole.  One is about 1" and one is a bit more than 3/4".  The WS90 fits on neither!!  The 1" is too big for the locking nut, and the 3/4" it just slides right off.   ](*,)

(solved, btw:  I had a bunch of thin-walled ABS water hose lying around looking for a future use... so an 8" length sliced lengthwise and wrapped around the 3/4" pipe leads to a perfect fit)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 05:58:21 PM by ASword »

Offline ASword

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2022, 11:10:52 AM »
Weather station finally fully installed!  My GW2000 is dutifully reporting data from a WS90, WH40, and 3 soil moisture sensors.  Writing the interface software was easy as the http json query interface is simple to use, and it is plugged into my LAN.  Data has been streaming into my time series database for a couple of weeks now.

Just wired up the 12v heater on the WS90.  Sadly there doesn’t seem to be any confirmation signal that it is working?  Does this just power the heater or does it also obviate the need for batteries?