Author Topic: More Ridiculous Acurite Rainfall Data  (Read 1221 times)

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
More Ridiculous Acurite Rainfall Data
« on: September 08, 2019, 02:38:48 PM »
 After a week or so of no false rainfall data, and thinking Acurite finally resolved their issues with the Access unit, I get an alert from MyAcurite saying I have received 2.39" of rainfall today but it has been sunny and dry all day here in New England.

I guess Acurite hasn't a clue as to the cause of these false readings. NOT GOOD for a company selling what is supposed to be fairly Accurate weather stations!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 02:41:29 PM by BeaverMeadow »

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
Re: More Ridiculous Acurite Rainfall Data
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 08:45:40 AM »
I'm getting these as well on my CT station...and it's reporting out to WU. I have two instances of non existent rainfall yesterday and one early this morning. I thought maybe a bird was landing on it. But there's not rainfall on my display unit.

I'll try doing a reboot and battery pull to the Access this evening and seeing if that changes things.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 08:56:22 AM »
I'll try doing a reboot and battery pull to the Access this evening and seeing if that changes things.

It is not going to change or fix anything to reboot/reset/pull batteries. This is a known issue to be affecting some Access users. Acurite knows about the issue. They are not sending out replacements because they feel at this time a replacement will not solve the issue. A future firmware update may resolve the issue (unconfirmed yet). The problem seems to definitely be with the Access and not the Atlas because the display doesn't see these false rain data. The fact that both WU and myAcurite are the only places that this false rain data shows up is an indicator that the problem is with the Access.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:57:59 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 12:19:59 PM »

It is not going to change or fix anything to reboot/reset/pull batteries. This is a known issue to be affecting some Access users. Acurite knows about the issue. They are not sending out replacements because they feel at this time a replacement will not solve the issue. A future firmware update may resolve the issue (unconfirmed yet). The problem seems to definitely be with the Access and not the Atlas because the display doesn't see these false rain data. The fact that both WU and myAcurite are the only places that this false rain data shows up is an indicator that the problem is with the Access.

Acurite obviously has no clue or they would have resolved this issue long ago. I wish I had another Access to swap out to see if the problem goes away. Could Acurite be kicking the can down the road in the hopes of developing a firmware fix instead of solving the bad data problem by replacing faulty units?

My trust in Acurite has plummeted since I started having this problem and the inability for them to resolve it with a replacement unit or a firmware fix.

This is not a minor problem but quite significant since consistent bad data makes a weather station worse than useless.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 12:39:11 PM »
Did Victoria respond?

Have you tried getting someone's attention on FB or Twitter?

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 12:54:46 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone. My Access in VT has been fine thus far. Hopefully, I didn't just jinx it.  :lol:

Is social media the best way to get in touch with Acurite?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 01:04:40 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone. My Access in VT has been fine thus far. Hopefully, I didn't just jinx it.  :lol:

Is social media the best way to get in touch with Acurite?

Yes. 

For Facebook, use the their official page that they monitor: https://www.facebook.com/acurite

There are a couple of Facebook user groups, but I doubt they would be able to help with a problem like this.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 08:30:26 PM »
Did Victoria respond?

DEAR VICTORIA @ ACURITE-- CAN YOU PLEASE LET US KNOW WHY SOME OF US ARE GETTING ERRONEOUS RAINFALL READINGS FROM OUR ACCESS UNITS AND WHY THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR MONTHS WITH NO COMMUNICATION FROM ACURITE REGARDING WHAT IS BEING DONE TO RESOLVE IT?

THANKS YOU,
BeaverMeadow

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 08:28:40 AM »
Did Victoria respond?

DEAR VICTORIA @ ACURITE-- CAN YOU PLEASE LET US KNOW WHY SOME OF US ARE GETTING ERRONEOUS RAINFALL READINGS FROM OUR ACCESS UNITS AND WHY THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR MONTHS WITH NO COMMUNICATION FROM ACURITE REGARDING WHAT IS BEING DONE TO RESOLVE IT?

THANKS YOU,
BeaverMeadow

I would try sending Victoria a PM, its more likely to get to her. I'm not sure she reads each post.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=19580

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?action=profile;u=19580

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 04:02:45 PM »
I spent much time via email and online chats with Acurite customer service regarding this issue. Maybe I should try sending a Western Union telegram!

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 12:42:56 PM »
I was able to get in touch with AcuRite via Facebook and they were very responsive through messenger. I can't say enough about that process, it worked very well.

Bottom line: This is an issue effecting a small number of 5 in 1 station owners. The only fix is to replace the 5 in 1 unit. If the unit was less than a year old, I believe they would swap it out. Since mine are over 1 year old, no luck on that. They did offer me a 15% discount should I choose to buy a new 5 in 1. For now, I'll elect to keep an eye on things and see if it gets worse.

I did ask about a fix; swapping out the internal board. Unfortunately, that won't resolve the issue, hence the need to replace it.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 02:04:51 PM »
This issue is affecting the Atlas users too with the Access. There is definitely some mixed messaging going on from Acurite. The issue is clearly with the Access device. I don't see how replacing the 5-in-1 or Atlas will resolve anything.
Tele-Pole

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 12:56:51 PM »
This issue is affecting the Atlas users too with the Access. There is definitely some mixed messaging going on from Acurite. The issue is clearly with the Access device. I don't see how replacing the 5-in-1 or Atlas will resolve anything.

Thanks for the insight! I'm going to keep and eye on things and see if there are any changes.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 01:51:55 PM »
After more erroneous rainfall and a 159mph wind reading Acurite customer service contacted me and said the problem is not the Access but the 5 in 1 and they are sending me a replacement. Hopefully this resolves my constant issues with unreliable data. Will update.....

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 02:24:39 PM »
Well if it is the 5-in-1 then it is rather interesting that the problem doesn't manifest itself on the display device. Same for the Atlas with its display. I suppose there can be something that the Atlas is particularly sensitive about as it picks up the signals from the 5-in-1 or Atlas.
Tele-Pole

anything