Author Topic: Free Software?  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Lowgill_Weather

Free Software?
« on: October 13, 2021, 04:38:30 AM »
I have an Aercus Weather Ranger (is it a re-badged Ambient?). I recently changed from wunderground to PWS for looking at my data online. I keep a spreadsheet version of summary figures but July was messy because of wunderground issues and then the change so to fill in the gap I downloaded the station data into Excel using an SD card but this isn't really a practical way to look at all my historical data. This got me thinking. Is there a software package I can download this csv data into so I can look at it independently of who I use online and also keep my history if I have a station failure? I'm afraid I'm thinking free or cheap.
I have installed EasyWeatherIP thinking that might do it but I have two problems. It sees the ip address of my PC but doesn't find the weather station, I guess it's something to do with my network configuration. Even if I get it working I think it will look at my weather station data rather than the data I have transferred to the PC. Any suggestions please?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 04:41:02 AM by Lowgill_Weather »

Online box

• Forecaster
Re: Free Software?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 05:40:01 AM »
I have an Aercus Weather Ranger (is it a re-badged Ambient?). I recently changed from wunderground to PWS for looking at my data online. I keep a spreadsheet version of summary figures but July was messy because of wunderground issues and then the change so to fill in the gap I downloaded the station data into Excel using an SD card but this isn't really a practical way to look at all my historical data. This got me thinking. Is there a software package I can download this csv data into so I can look at it independently of who I use online and also keep my history if I have a station failure? I'm afraid I'm thinking free or cheap.
I have installed EasyWeatherIP thinking that might do it but I have two problems. It sees the ip address of my PC but doesn't find the weather station, I guess it's something to do with my network configuration. Even if I get it working I think it will look at my weather station data rather than the data I have transferred to the PC. Any suggestions please?
sounds like the sort of thing Cumulus Mx could do and your device is not on the unsupported list (unless it's a fine offset clone it's not on the supported one either though :-|)

I am not sure about importing data as csv flavours vary and you may need to do some sort of conversion. The devil will be in the detail, for example the measurement units

Cumulus Mx folk are often on these boards so I expect they will be able to confirm

Offline Lowgill_Weather

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 06:00:48 AM »
Thanks for that. I'll have a look. My station only connects to one website at a time, how do you do multiple sites, do you use an always on PC?

Online box

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 07:39:40 AM »
Thanks for that. I'll have a look. My station only connects to one website at a time, how do you do multiple sites, do you use an always on PC?

Plenty of methods on these boards, it really does depend how your station interfaces with the outside world, I see its WiFi so it depends how locked down it is

Cumulus Mx for example can forward data to other sites (my Windy and PWSWeather data comes from Cumulus Mx) but there are other solutions

I do have an always-on PC to run Cumulus, thats my choice because I had one, but it can run on Linux and Raspberry PI so there other low cost options

Check out Weewx and meteobridge/meteohub and WeatherDisplay elsewhere on these boards

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 08:24:12 AM »
Ask on the Cumulus forum https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Online box

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 08:59:00 AM »

Plenty of methods on these boards, it really does depend how your station interfaces with the outside world, I see its WiFi so it depends how locked down it is

Cumulus Mx for example can forward data to other sites (my Windy and PWSWeather data comes from Cumulus Mx) but there are other solutions

I do have an always-on PC to run Cumulus, thats my choice because I had one, but it can run on Linux and Raspberry PI so there other low cost options

Check out Weewx and meteobridge/meteohub and WeatherDisplay elsewhere on these boards
a quick comment I got carried away - not all this software is free!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 10:54:08 AM »

I have an Aercus Weather Ranger (is it a re-badged Ambient?). I recently changed from wunderground to PWS for looking at my data online. I keep a spreadsheet version of summary figures but July was messy because of wunderground issues and then the change so to fill in the gap I downloaded the station data into Excel using an SD card but this isn't really a practical way to look at all my historical data. This got me thinking. Is there a software package I can download this csv data into so I can look at it independently of who I use online and also keep my history if I have a station failure? I'm afraid I'm thinking free or cheap.I have installed EasyWeatherIP thinking that might do it but I have two problems. It sees the ip address of my PC but doesn't find the weather station, I guess it's something to do with my network configuration. Even if I get it working I think it will look at my weather station data rather than the data I have transferred to the PC. Any suggestions please?

The data stored with a local PC/Pi program, like CumulusMX, will give you endless ways to access (txt format), analyse and display your data, as well as live conditions.  It will update to nearly a dozen sites including WU.  Also NOAA Reports http://www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/noaareport.htm

However not sure if Aercus Weather Ranger is compatible with CumulusMX.  Current Fine Offset such as Ecowitt and Ambient are compatible.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 11:45:59 AM »
This guy seems to be running one on Cumulus https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16443
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

anything