Weather Software > GRLevel X Software

Favorite GRLevel3 Settings?

(1/3) > >>

WeatherBeacon:
Friends:

We've had a very quiet spring and summer in my area, but in the past two weeks we've have some doozies of storms with heavy downpours, strong gust fronts, and nearby tornadoes.

Do I understand correctly that most of you use GRLevel3 rather than GRLevel2?

Second, I downloaded the trial version of GR3. It has so many settings and options that I feel like I'm in over my head -- too much to learn in too little time. So I'm wondering if you'd please kindly tell me what some of your favorite radar settings are.

Finally, it isn't a subscription service, right? (I see some references to AllisonHouse, but GR3 doesn't rely on subscribing to AH, does it?)

Thanks much!

Regards,

Kevin...

saratogaWX:
I use GRLevel3, even though our climate doesn't have thunder storms nearby (maybe once or twice a year).  The radar images are amazing (I tend to use the CR248 images on my site).

No, AllisonHouse feeds aren't required as GRLevel3 can get NEXRAD data directly from the NWS...  however, the feeds provide other things that are highly useful.  In particular, the USPLN lightning feed overlays on the radar and is great to help set ranging/calibration on Boltek/Nexstorm setups.
I subscribe to the $10/mo feed set (with a 1year deal for $100).

I'm sure Tom at Carterlake can help here.. he's very active on the GR3 forum and runs the GRLevel3 (unofficial, but highly useful) FAQ.

Best regards,
Ken

carterlake:
Hi Kevin,

I use GRLevel3. Level 2 is more for the met experts out there. (You do not need to buy anything for Level 3 data ... it is free and readily available... but Level 2 data will cost you some money unless you can find a free source.)

All I use is GRLevel3 without a subscription to anything.

GrLevel3 is actually pretty easy to use... you have a LOT of options but really, I mostly only use the radar image (I like BR248) and the base velocity images (to see where the tornadic activity is).

There's actually a copy of the FAQ available to the public on http://www.grlevelxstuff.com/board/index.php?topic=13.0

They also have some excellent flash videos on how to do things.

Most stuff is pretty simple though...

Go under site and setup your default radar location.

Download a background from:
http://www.myweatherstations.com/grsmaps.shtml
-or-
http://www.allisonhouse.com/grlevelx/maps/

How to use background images:

1) Right click on the image you want and do a "Save Target as..." and save file to your computer
2) Extract the .zip file. Inside are two files: a text file and an image file
3) You'll want to put the image file some place safe (may we suggest the GRLevelx folder)
4) Open the text file in a text editor like Notepad. It contains some numbers that you'll need in a minute.
5) With GRLevelX open, go under GIS... Settings... Background
6) This opens another window. Click the ... under Background Bitmap to select the BMP file you downloaded
7) Under Longitude From and To, Latitude From and To, copy the numbers provided from the text file
8) Hit OK and your background should appear

Go under products and turn on storm attributes and warnings (now your right hand buttons are lit up).

And that's about it... you're ready to play.

It took maybe a day of playing around to learn this and that... having an FAQ does help... and grlevelxstuff.com has become an excellent resource.

ocala:
If you use the free NOAA feed for your level 3 data you can go back I think as far as 2 days to get past data. With Allinsonhouse I think you are only limited to about 30 images but I not quite sure about that.

carterlake:

--- Quote from: "ocala" ---If you use the free NOAA feed for your level 3 data you can go back I think as far as 2 days to get past data. With Allinsonhouse I think you are only limited to about 30 images but I not quite sure about that.
--- End quote ---

NOAA actually has an archive of data going back to .... 1995? but it takes a bit of effort to load the data.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version