Miscellaneous Debris > Chit-Chat

Does SailFlow Pay Station Providers?

<< < (2/2)

ryanerb:

--- Quote from: vreihen on May 12, 2022, 07:34:50 PM ---Actually, that $15/year price is groundbreaking, since it was the first time that a dollar figure was put on the value of PWS weather observations.

If WU paid their reported 250,000+ users that same $15, it would cost IBM only $3.75 million per year.....

--- End quote ---

Yeah, pretty wild when you do all the calculations.
So lets say IBM paid out 3.75mill a year.
How much do they 'bring in' on WU?
WU basically gives all it's data away from free, so maybe there is just advertising revenue they earn?
Or IBM just fronts the server bills and takes no revenue and just hosts WU for the good of mankind?

broadstairs:
I just took a look at Sailflow.com and it shows a couple of station near me which it grabs the data for from WU. I alway know WU was not a good place to send my data as it gets used everywhere by everyone without direct attribution unless you go via WU!

Stuart

vreihen:

--- Quote from: ryanerb on May 12, 2022, 07:37:39 PM ---Or IBM just fronts the server bills and takes no revenue and just hosts WU for the good of mankind?

--- End quote ---

Don't kid yourself.  I'm pretty sure that IBM only bought WU and other companies specifically to feed their observations into Watson (AI), to build their own proprietary weather models for resale to insurance folks and anyone else with deep pockets.....

ryanerb:

--- Quote from: broadstairs on May 13, 2022, 04:57:39 AM ---I just took a look at Sailflow.com and it shows a couple of station near me which it grabs the data for from WU. I alway know WU was not a good place to send my data as it gets used everywhere by everyone without direct attribution unless you go via WU!

Stuart

--- End quote ---

I host a lot of webcams, and it's amazing how many sites somehow 'get ahold of your data'....
They pass it around like crazy.

ryanerb:

--- Quote from: vreihen on May 13, 2022, 11:25:19 AM ---
--- Quote from: ryanerb on May 12, 2022, 07:37:39 PM ---Or IBM just fronts the server bills and takes no revenue and just hosts WU for the good of mankind?

--- End quote ---

Don't kid yourself.  I'm pretty sure that IBM only bought WU and other companies specifically to feed their observations into Watson (AI), to build their own proprietary weather models for resale to insurance folks and anyone else with deep pockets.....

--- End quote ---

There's always a business model somewhere.... and chasing guys with deep pockets is a good one!! Most consumers won't always pay the big bucks for weather data...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version