Weather Station Hardware > Weather Web Cams

How I setup my webcam

<< < (2/6) > >>

weatherdoc:
@davidmc36: The waterproof lid is a "sleeve" that covers the Ethernet cable and connection to the camera. See attached page from the user guide. It was not a task I wanted to do while up on the ladder! It took two hands to squeeze the "rubber stopper" around the Ethernet cable and at the same time push the stopper into the sleeve.

weatherdoc:
@box: I have a Synology NAS, Disk Station D220+. It runs Linux but the interface is via a web GUI. It has a built-in capability to host a website that you setup via the GUI. If you have Synology, I can provide details on how I setup my weather website.

The weather observation text that's overlaid on the camera image and timelapse is generated by the IPTimelapse software - it can read your clientraw.txt file to display the weather text, which is what I do, or it can display CWOP, Wx Underground, nearby NOAA observations as other options.

davidmc36:

--- Quote from: weatherdoc on February 26, 2022, 07:16:16 AM ---@davidmc36: The waterproof lid is a "sleeve" that covers the Ethernet cable and connection to the camera. See attached page from the user guide. It was not a task I wanted to do while up on the ladder! It took two hands to squeeze the "rubber stopper" around the Ethernet cable and at the same time push the stopper into the sleeve.

--- End quote ---

Oh yes. I remember that bit in the box.

box:

--- Quote from: weatherdoc on February 26, 2022, 07:23:45 AM ---@box: I have a Synology NAS, Disk Station D220+. It runs Linux but the interface is via a web GUI. It has a built-in capability to host a website that you setup via the GUI. If you have Synology, I can provide details on how I setup my weather website.

The weather observation text that's overlaid on the camera image and timelapse is generated by the IPTimelapse software - it can read your clientraw.txt file to display the weather text, which is what I do, or it can display CWOP, Wx Underground, nearby NOAA observations as other options.

--- End quote ---
I have a DS214 Play running DSM7 so i would appreciate any pointers, it's a medium term project as I haven't selected a camera or location yet,but it would be good to put my other data into a website

weatherdoc:
I first tried to run my website on my [older] DS218j and it was very slow to respond (processor was too slow and there wasn't enough RAM - 512MB), so I upgraded to the D220+ in December (a Christmas present from my wife!) and maxed-out the RAM at 6GB. I have two 3TB drives running as a RAID and the OS is DSM 7. I relegated my old DS218j to handle general PC backups and as a media server for photos, music, and video. My D220+ is dedicated to my weather stuff.

A good place to start to setup a website on a Synology NAS is here: https://kb.synology.com/en-global/DSM/tutorial/How_to_host_a_website_on_Synology_NAS. I made the mistake of setting up and using the /www directory but don't do that! Make sure you use /web, which is also the root directory on a Synology NAS, and upload all your weather data there. Thanks to Harold (https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?action=profile;u=13960), who runs a Synology NAS, told me to switch from /www to /web. Feel free to ask me any questions if you get stuck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version