Author Topic: Has anyone installed and have experience with MicroSoft Flight Simulator lately?  (Read 630 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
I had the last true MS flight sim from about a decade ago.  It was fun, and surprisingly good at the simulation.

Then nothing was done, apparently, by MS on that game (which is really was).

A year or so ago, with great fanfare, a new Flight Sim was released, partially with the branding of MS, but with what seems to be a lot of development and non-MS company work (I could be wrong, but so it seems to me.)

At that time, my son had a relatively new laptop gaming computer that could easily loaf its way through stuff that made my somewhat older desktop sweat bullets.  He was very excited to watch Utube reviews and see all the nice stuff that the program could do.  He tried downloading the program with a birthday present funding, and two weeks later still had not been able to get it to successfully download.  He took a break for awhile and then this spring tried again, dozens of times, to get it to work on his system.

Now I haven't heard much, and the reviews on all the vender websites (Best Buy, Amazon, etc.) seem to have little to answer some questions I have.

Did the company finally make it so a normal person (not with several high speed feeds running simultaneously and with an ordinary hard drive) download the game?

Does it finally work?

Do you need to be connected to the internet to make it run, or once installed can you fire it up and play awhile and not have to have it authenticating constantly?

How much hard drive room do you really need?

There are numerous warnings on the sites to buy it from that once you toss them the cash, even if you cannot successfully download and install it, you are SOL for a refund if it won't work.  For some fortunate reason when it wouldn't install back when my son was fiddling with it, he did manage to get a refund on his non-functional install.

anyway, with all sorts of other distractions, but winter coming, I thought it might be nice to take the old J-3 Cub around the patch a few times for the fun of it without doing an engine pre-heat.

Oh, if someone is using it and has found a good joystick brand and model, or even rudder pedal hookups, would you mention them, too?
Thanks.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
I have it installed and be assured, you need lots of current stream horsepower to run it.

Its not really a simulation. Its a monster visual experience.

If you want actual simulation use X Plane.

A guy at work has used it extensively. It took a lot of gnashing of teeth to make radio and control stacks work. He says only basic planes have proper functioning features. He got a download of Q400 that is apparently good.

They are not super fancy in features but are very nice functioning; I use CH yoke and pedals with brake axis.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 03:39:36 PM by davidmc36 »

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
Not meant as a hijack but have you tried DCS World? Demo available on Steam for free.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
Thanks for the replies.
I haven't heard of DCS so I will go look.
Also haven't heard of or tried XPlane, so also on the list to look at.

I'll investigate the CH control inputs.

I'm a bit disappointed that the latest FS is such a challenge to configure (from your friend's experience) and that it is such a performance hog.

Considering the advances in graphics hardware and in memory  and cpu speed over the last 5 years, I'd hope that a more traditional simulator would have happened, but apparently not.

I guess the question now is, having been through the download, configuration and keeping the software functional, would you do it again or is it just 'nice' to have and really doesn't help with flying the pattern and using controls for co-ordination, muscle memory, practice? 
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
Hoping to find a nice solution with X-plane, I will have to wait until Monday (after all I've waited almost a year) to see why the error about unable to open a .zip file pops up.  I've tried Brave, FireFox and MS's latest browser, with no help.  Nothing on the web.  Turned off ZoneAlarm.  No help.  Oh well.  I'll email.  In the meantime looks like this may be the item rather than the MS Simulator.

And a wee bit cheaper, too.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline info

• Contributor
I have MFS on Xbox series x, runs and works great .
I been flying all over USA. , extremely fun
Rick

anything