Weather Station Hardware > Davis Instruments Weather Stations

Options for accessing data on my new Vantage Pro 2?

(1/9) > >>

wrybread:
I'd like to pull data from my Vantage Pro 2 to a Python script so we can display it on a big screen in the lobby (I'm installing this in a business). I gather I need this adaptor to do that?

https://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instruments-WeatherLink-USB-Software/dp/B001AMKC14

Or is there a better aftermarket alternative?

And I'm considering using a Raspberry Pi to catch the data so we don't need a laptop running all the time for this. But I see there's other data loggers out there, can anyone recommend one?

Thanks for any help.

Bushman:
Yup - you need a logger/interface.  You can overpay for the Davis one (use Ryan at scaledinstruments.com for the best deal if you go that route) or a third party one from the likes from Bellfryboy and Uksa007, both on this former for a lot less. If you go the Raspberry pi route, rather than raw Python, use Weewx or CumulusMX as your wx data repository and create HTML from there.  Unless you really like coding in Python.  You could also use a Meteobridge ruynning on a cheap TP-Link router.

wrybread:
Thanks for the info!

Here's the Belfryboy, which costs $62 (50 pounds), and is just the cable (no logger), shipped from UK, which sounds like *exactly* what I'm looking for:

http://belfryboyweatherbits.blogspot.com/p/the-belfryboy-clone-usb-logger.html

I know Davis put some restrictions on 3rd party cables with a firmware update a few years ago, and guessing my new unit has that restrictive firmware update (although it doesn't have a green dot), so I'm not clear on whether that cable will work on it. He mentions the restriction on the page, but only in the section where he talks about building your own, so maybe his have the mod? There's no email link to ask, arg...

Does anyone know if that will work with a new Vantage Pro 2?

And does anyone know how to check the firmware version of the console?

CW2274:

--- Quote from: wrybread on January 24, 2017, 05:20:44 PM ---And does anyone know how to check the firmware version of the console?

--- End quote ---
Press and hold "done" while pressing the up arrow.

wrybread:
Aha, thanks, mine has firmware version 3.63. Lucky me.

On another note, I'm now having an issue getting a signal from my weather station. When I turn the console off and on it says "Receiving from..." but no station number is shown. If I press the "done" button, it will show the number 1 and let me go through the configurations for it, but it never starts receiving the data. I see the X at bottom right every 5 seconds, so its definitely receiving data.

Interestingly if I go to the weather station and put it into debug mode (flip dip switch 4), it then starts working. But this is about to be installed in an inaccesssible location so that won't work longterm. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version