Author Topic: Webcams on Weather Underground  (Read 3437 times)

Offline WeatherNC

Re: Webcams on Weather Underground
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2021, 12:10:45 AM »
Finally!  I’m almost happy it’s over. WU has been so stupid about the whole webcam thing.  It was a great feature that we all loved.  How did they make it so difficult?  It’s just posting an image.  Says a lot about the crew behind the scenes.

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2021, 06:56:50 AM »
would WU come after anyone if  they used the maps and did not send the data
Don't follow what you mean ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Offline WeatherNC

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2021, 08:45:52 AM »
Sorry, I thought I was adding to the string about WU dropping webcams.  Here is the post they put out the other day. ](*,)

Webcam hosting service is discontinued effective October 21, 2021
Weather Underground will discontinue the webcam hosting service effective October 21, 2021 in order to better focus on the core products that make Weather Underground one of the best destinations for weather enthusiasts. Webcam data will be deleted from our servers on or after this date.
Weather Underground will discontinue the webcam hosting service effective October 21, 2021 in order to better focus on the core products that make Weather Underground one of the best destinations for weather enthusiasts. Webcam data will be deleted from our servers on or after this date.

We have spent significant time and energy to update our forecasts and Personal Weather Station (PWS) Network over the past several years. When we looked at taking a similar path forward for the webcams, it became clear that an upgrade to modern technologies would be incompatible with many of the cameras currently using our platform. We decided that the investment required to start the network over from scratch would not be viable. Our efforts will instead focus on the performance, stability, and vitality of our core offerings. Please rest assured that the PWS Network remains a core piece of Weather Underground.

Thank you for your support.

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2021, 02:10:14 PM »
Sorry, I thought I was adding to the string about WU dropping webcams.  Here is the post they put out the other day. ](*,)

Webcam hosting service is discontinued effective October 21, 2021

We have spent significant time and energy to update our forecasts and Personal Weather Station (PWS) Network over the past several years. When we looked at taking a similar path forward for the webcams, it became clear that an upgrade to modern technologies would be incompatible with many of the cameras currently using our platform. We decided that the investment required to start the network over from scratch would not be viable. Our efforts will instead focus on the performance, stability, and vitality of our core offerings. Please rest assured that the PWS Network remains a core piece of Weather Underground.

Thank you for your support.

What are these 'core products'?

Seems to me there is little difference between them and other PWS supporting websites

In fact Windy to my eyes is significantly better, definitely more stable

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2021, 04:15:40 PM »
if you have a webcam on your own server then surely they can have it where they have a link to that image
but I guess then they have no control and you could have a link to something that is not in the guidelines etc?

anything