Author Topic: Major Noise Problem  (Read 3962 times)

Offline 3baid

Major Noise Problem
« on: November 15, 2016, 01:57:45 PM »
Hello everyone..

i recently purchased the Boltek pci lighting detector and installed it on the roof. for first month it was working PERFECT and i tracked a storm with it.

after that mid summer i experienced a high amount of noise and false strikes that i don't know the source of it. first i thought my antenna got burned or failed so i purchased a new antenna and the problem still there.

changed the cable 3 times 3 different types and now i am running CAT6

changed the place of the antenna 3 times but the problem is still there.

the high amount of noise and false strike not permanent it comes and goes in a specific time that i cant track 3 or 4 times a day it burst with noise for like 10 to 15 mins and then gets to low strikes but still false.

the problem goes when i set my noise sensitivity to high and check the discard artificial noise.

any help will be appreciated

thanks everyone
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 02:01:57 PM by 3baid »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Major Noise Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »

the high amount of noise and false strike not permanent it comes and goes in a specific time that i cant track 3 or 4 times a day it burst with noise for like 10 to 15 mins and then gets to low strikes but still false.

Can you better define those times?  Day?  Night?  ????

What electrical appliances have you added recently?  Even replacement LED or CFL lightbulbs might be a potential cause. 

Neighbors?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 02:16:30 PM »
Although it is in the Blitzortung forum, there are some tips here that may be helpful. There are some generic ideas that could apply to your Boltek. (the frequency range and "signals of interest" are the same between Blitzortung and Boltek, same physics apply)

One basic method is to use an AM radio set to the low end of the band <500KHz and see if you can find where it gets noiser. Are you using shielded CAT5 or CAT6? I know that Boltek recommends STP (shielded) CAT5.

The PCI version makes it harder to isolate, since if you had the LD-250 or LD-350 you could power it from a battery and shut off all the power in your house. Even so, if you can leave just the circuit breaker/fuse for your computer active to power the PCI Boltek, and shut down everything else that shares the computer's circuit it might help isolate the problem. At least you might get some clue about if it is inside your place or outside.

If you can see if there is anything that operates nearby during the noise times, like neon lights, welders, motor controllers, etc. it might help track it down. Also, shut off all of your other circuits at the power panel. I would look at potential noise sources that agree with the directions in the map plots.

Good Luck in finding the problem. This might also be a useful resource: ARRL EMI

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline 3baid

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 03:33:18 PM »
Thank you guys for the replay

i detected the noise source
it is the neighbors air-condition unit.

but how to deal with such problem?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 04:55:56 PM »
First, you need to determine if the noise is "conducting" on the power lines, then radiating from them. If this is the case, some thing like a CORCOM filter might help. A qualified expert should select the correct filter that has a current rating that properly supports the current of the AC unit. A mistake here could result in a fire in the AC unit.

Another possibility is something arcing inside the unit, like a bad relay with worn contacts. Careful investigation is needed and will require the cooperation of your neighbor. If he has an arcing, noisy contact, you would be doing him a favor by identifying a problem with the AC unit. If the unit is just noisy and requires a filter, you will probably have to pay for it.

Greg H.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 05:01:50 PM »
It depends on how well you get on with your neighbor!  :smile: I would tend to believe that this level of interference from an A/C unit is not normal (or others would have reported it), so the fact that it is happening suggests that the neighbour's A/C unit has an issue which may progress and result in a functional problem and/or damage to the unit if it is not fixed. One approach (assuming that you are on reasonable speaking terms) might be to ask him/her to have an A/C tech of his/her choice to give the system a once-over, with the agreement that if the tech finds and fixes a problem that could have progressed (s)he pays for it, but if the tech finds nothing wrong you pay for the visit.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 08:28:11 PM by pfletch101 »
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline 3baid

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 07:34:57 PM »
Thank you everyone the problem is solved!

the whole noise came from the cable!
it wasn't shielded. i purchased a cat 5 shielded cable and the noise is gone!

thank you everyone for helping!

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 08:32:20 AM »
Thank you everyone the problem is solved!

the whole noise came from the cable!
it wasn't shielded. i purchased a cat 5 shielded cable and the noise is gone!

thank you everyone for helping!

I am glad that it solved your problem.  =D&gt;

Greg H.

anything