Author Topic: Wunderground Offline?  (Read 11370 times)

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
  • LIVE from the Southern Sierra Nevada!
    • Sierra Springs Village - MADIS Station D2149 - Bass Lake Ca.
Wunderground Offline?
« on: January 23, 2010, 03:42:02 PM »
I can't access their website or pull any data from them.  Uploads are all failing too.  Could it be that the bugs have all come together and taken them down completely?  :-k

HARDWARE: Davis VP2 wireless w/daytime FARS - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 - Apple 24" iMAC - OSX 10.6.2
SOFTWARE: Lightsoft Weather Center for Mac OSX -  EVOcam 2.6.5

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
Re: Wunderground Offline?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 03:48:09 PM »
It is working for me.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 04:02:56 PM »
It is working for me.

Hmmm..I can access anything else on the web but them at the moment, plus the station is timing out with all Wunderground related data.  Might be a regional thing.

HARDWARE: Davis VP2 wireless w/daytime FARS - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 - Apple 24" iMAC - OSX 10.6.2

Offline TorH

• Forecaster
    • Været på Fauske
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 04:29:11 PM »
No problems with WU here at the moment, fwiw  ;)
Davis Vantage PRO2 wireless
VWS V14.00 p103, WD ver.10.37N, WL 5.8.2, VVP.
WeatherFlash
DW1549
WeatherUnderground: INORDLAN14
http://bjornli.net                     

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 04:44:21 PM »
Working here.  #-o
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 04:58:39 PM »
Its back up here now, but I had several friends check it in various areas of Ca. and none of us could connect for a good 45 minutes.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 05:50:35 PM »
Ho-hum.

There's two camera feeds in NM that aren't updating: mine and someone elses in Tatum. That's as far as my assumptions go.

I'm tired of bitching about this crap going on with my webcam uploads, and WU hasn't said anything in over a week.

:twisted:  what to do, what to do

Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 05:52:55 PM »
Ho-hum.

There's two camera feeds in NM that aren't updating: mine and someone elses in Tatum. That's as far as my assumptions go.

I'm tired of bitching about this crap going on with my webcam uploads, and WU hasn't said anything in over a week.

All normal for them these days I'm afraid.  :(

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 06:01:06 PM »
Ho-hum.

All normal for them these days I'm afraid.  :(

I could try different software and see if EVOcam is the culprit. Sometimes things just don't work.

Either that or my Mac's autolocking screensaver is causing EC to stop uploading...

There's so much I've yet to learn and experiment with here.

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 06:34:01 AM »
...Well as seems to be the norm for wunderground these days.  My wunderground webcam time lapse video has not worked for the last 3 or 4 days.  ](*,) 

At least my webcam image is a direct upload to my site. ;)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 07:14:06 AM »
...Well as seems to be the norm for wunderground these days.  My wunderground webcam time lapse video has not worked for the last 3 or 4 days.  ](*,)  

At least my webcam image is a direct upload to my site. ;)

It's the same here for many months but I really don't care about it. At least I get the still images (most of the time) to load there. No monthly history for 'em for a long time now. Just the current shot then it's gone forever.  I figure that they're hurting for space or something and turn off people with less than ideal "weather scene" shots. If/when I can ever mange to get a cam position that shows weather conditions better then I might be a little upset about it, like in your situation.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:17:45 AM by DanS »

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 07:18:59 AM »
My pics/location are not that good.  :-)

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 12:40:18 PM »
Ho-hum.

:twisted:  what to do, what to do

All normal for them these days I'm afraid.  :(

I could try different software and see if EVOcam is the culprit. Sometimes things just don't work.

Either that or my Mac's autolocking screensaver is causing EC to stop uploading...

There's so much I've yet to learn and experiment with here.

I would look at ANY other potential source of the problem before I would ever consider EVOcam as being a problem.  I have been uploading webcam images to Wunderground and my own web site using EVOcam for going on 13 months now 24/7 and it has never crashed or caused me any grief that entire time.  Wunderground has had tons of problems during that same time however.  ;)

When ever something on your Wunderground page stops working, the most likely explanation would be another in a long series of "issues" with Wunderground's servers. ;)  MY webcam image updates to my own web server have never had any problems.  These are sent at the same time as the Wunderground uploads.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:42:16 PM by WeatherGoose »

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 12:57:19 PM »

I would look at ANY other potential source of the problem before I would ever consider EVOcam as being a problem.  I have been uploading webcam images to Wunderground and my own web site using EVOcam for going on 13 months now 24/7 and it has never crashed or caused me any grief that entire time.  Wunderground has had tons of problems during that same time however.  ;)

When ever something on your Wunderground page stops working, the most likely explanation would be another in a long series of "issues" with Wunderground's servers. ;)  MY webcam image updates to my own web server have never had any problems.  These are sent at the same time as the Wunderground uploads.

I would have to save ditto on that as well.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 02:11:27 AM »
This is the reply I got yesterday:

Chris,

We've noticed a couple of common problems. Please check your camera software for the following issues.

* The most common problem is uploading images that are over our file size limitation which is 150K. Please check to see that your images are not over this limitation, and adjust your camera or software settings accordingly.

I checked. They're nowhere NEAR this size. And besides, if the last check time indicates it worked up until 7 am, and then stopped, I know that the image sizes are not exceeding 150k. Even if there is more color, more light, they don't exceed 150K.

* Some software packages upload a tmp file and then try to rename that file as the image name. This is not working with our current ingest daemon. Please check the settings of your software to see if this feature can be disabled, allowing a direct FTP of the image. Some software packages also try to upload HTML content with an image. This will stop your image from being successfully ingested. Please upload a single image only.

I disabled this in EvoCam.

* If you are able to upload, and the upload process reports success, but none of your images are showing on the site, make sure that your uploads are set to binary as our image conversion process will fail for images not transfered in binary format.

As for this, I have NO idea what they're talking about. WeatherGoose, help!  :!:

Thank you for your support!

You guys are quite welcome.  :roll:

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 03:07:17 AM »

Chris,

We've noticed a couple of common problems. Please check your camera software for the following issues.

* The most common problem is uploading images that are over our file size limitation which is 150K. Please check to see that your images are not over this limitation, and adjust your camera or software settings accordingly.

I checked. They're nowhere NEAR this size. And besides, if the last check time indicates it worked up until 7 am, and then stopped, I know that the image sizes are not exceeding 150k. Even if there is more color, more light, they don't exceed 150K.

* Some software packages upload a tmp file and then try to rename that file as the image name. This is not working with our current ingest daemon. Please check the settings of your software to see if this feature can be disabled, allowing a direct FTP of the image. Some software packages also try to upload HTML content with an image. This will stop your image from being successfully ingested. Please upload a single image only.

* If you are able to upload, and the upload process reports success, but none of your images are showing on the site, make sure that your uploads are set to binary as our image conversion process will fail for images not transfered in binary format.

As for this, I have NO idea what they're talking about. WeatherGoose, help!  :!:

You guys are quite welcome.  :roll:

OK Chris,

Lets take these one at a time:

1) If your image size is indeed staying under the 150k size limit at all times, than this is a non issue. (Check the status window in EVOcam to see the image size it is uploading)

2) I believe I provided you with a screenshot of my FTP upload path to Wunderground using EVOcam.   The path ends with "image.jpg" which is exactly the file name Wunderground wants to see.  EVOcam does not do anything other than what you tell it to do, meaning, (it does not send a TEMP image first and then change it to something else)  so if you followed my instructions, you should be sending your cam image with the file name "image.jpg"

So again... That is a non issue.

3) EVOCam sends images using Binary, so again, a non issue.

Provided that all the above is indeed set as I instructed you a few weeks ago, the issue you are experiencing is not an EVOcam issue.

I wanted to mention... My EVOcam uploads are once again working normally after problems with delays and missing images for most of this last weekend.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:15:07 AM by WeatherGoose »

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 01:39:26 AM »

Chris,

As for this, I have NO idea what they're talking about. WeatherGoose, help!  :!:

You guys are quite welcome.  :roll:

OK Chris,

Lets take these one at a time:

1) If your image size is indeed staying under the 150k size limit at all times, than this is a non issue. (Check the status window in EVOcam to see the image size it is uploading)

2) I believe I provided you with a screenshot of my FTP upload path to Wunderground using EVOcam.   The path ends with "image.jpg" which is exactly the file name Wunderground wants to see.  EVOcam does not do anything other than what you tell it to do, meaning, (it does not send a TEMP image first and then change it to something else)  so if you followed my instructions, you should be sending your cam image with the file name "image.jpg"

So again... That is a non issue.

3) EVOCam sends images using Binary, so again, a non issue.

Provided that all the above is indeed set as I instructed you a few weeks ago, the issue you are experiencing is not an EVOcam issue.

I wanted to mention... My EVOcam uploads are once again working normally after problems with delays and missing images for most of this last weekend.

1) They've stayed under 100KB. Last I checked, the uploads were around 50 KB.

2) That's what I've been using for the last 14 days (under my own account of course). My trial ends tomorrow..from there I don't know if Dad will purchase it. This morning it did say that the server could not be found with a -38xx error. I haven't checked since.

3) And that's a relief.

So, in essence, what WU sent me in reply (finally, you jerks!) relates to nothing on my end? It's all on their end (as I originally suspected)?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 09:07:23 AM »
I can't access their website or pull any data from them.  Uploads are all failing too.  Could it be that the bugs have all come together and taken them down completely?  :-k

Noticed members with WU banners in their sig's don't have any right now (inc. me). Is WU actually down or is this some international block causing me not to see anything WU related for the past couple of hours?

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 09:28:54 AM »
The post above yours has a classic banner with "no data."  I can't get anything from WU at the moment, so not an electronic blockade of Thailand.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline Whitbyweather

• Whitby Weather
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 09:31:37 AM »
Nothing from Wunderground here in the UK.  :-( :-(

Offline Whitbyweather

• Whitby Weather
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 09:35:24 AM »
And 30 seconds after I pressed the send button its back up! :grin:

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 09:37:12 AM »
O.K. appreciate the replies. It's just that my wx data upload alarms were going off around 3 hours ago and didn't want to be waiting it out if was me having the problem. ;)

Maybe someone at WU heard me whining. :roll:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:40:37 AM by DanS »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 09:40:55 AM »
I donno.   :-k

It seems my WU banner is working.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 09:44:32 AM »
Did you happen to notice it about 15 minutes ago? I do believe it all just came back up several minutes ago.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 09:54:58 AM »
Did you happen to notice it about 15 minutes ago? I do believe it all just came back up several minutes ago.

I borrowed it.  But I brought it back.   =D> :roll: #-o
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

anything