Author Topic: Weather Underground update problem  (Read 21762 times)

Offline Whitbyweather

• Whitby Weather
Re: Weather Underground update problem
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 11:32:14 AM »
Well I do have a page with my own station data, but the limitations of the web template I use means I have to link to the data page from the main page, and I want visitors to see a summary like the Wunderground sticker when they first arrive on the current weather page. Trouble is I don't know how to make my own sticker! Glad you like the site, I couldn't spell website 9 months ago so I have had a very steep learning curve! :lol:

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
  • LIVE from the Southern Sierra Nevada!
    • Sierra Springs Village - MADIS Station D2149 - Bass Lake Ca.
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 01:31:37 PM »
Well I do have a page with my own station data, but the limitations of the web template I use means I have to link to the data page from the main page, and I want visitors to see a summary like the Wunderground sticker when they first arrive on the current weather page. Trouble is I don't know how to make my own sticker! Glad you like the site, I couldn't spell website 9 months ago so I have had a very steep learning curve! :lol:

There are a lot of threads in this forum specifically about designing you own website.  There are templates and other stuff, and much of it is specific to certain weather software packages.  I am sure there will be plenty of folks willing to help you with that.   Those who may be using the same software that you are using. 

Check out this section:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=40.0

You may also want to see if you can find someone in your community, possibly one of your visitors that can help you improve your web site?  Why not put a message on your site asking for help?  Worth a shot! :)

HARDWARE: Davis VP2 wireless w/daytime FARS - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 - Apple 24" iMAC - OSX 10.6.2
SOFTWARE: Lightsoft Weather Center for Mac OSX -  EVOcam 2.6.5

Offline Whitbyweather

• Whitby Weather
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 01:38:01 PM »
Many thanks WeatherGoose, I will give those suggestions a try.  :grin:

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 03:13:02 PM »
Many thanks WeatherGoose, I will give those suggestions a try.  :grin:

My pleasure!  Keep us posted on your progress.  :)

Cheers.

HARDWARE: Davis VP2 wireless w/daytime FARS - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 - Apple 24" iMAC - OSX 10.6.2

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
Starting this past weekend I noticed the rapid fire updates became slow. I'm on a 3 sec. update interval but it goes all over the place to as much as 40 seconds or even more some times. I looked at some other stations and they were doing similar things (no way to know what their update interval is though). I restarted all my networking hardware as well as VWS and that didn't help a thing. I'm pretty sure they must have something going on there. My rapid fire updates have always been snappy fast before this weekend. This morning my webcam was 8+ hours over due for an update and the main page showed black so it would appear that there are some issues right now. My cam is doing okay now but the rapid fire is still sluggish.

I have noticed the rapid Fire Update intervals varying quite a but here too. So far it has still shown to be in rapid Fire mode though on mine. But times are sometimes nearing 30 sec to refresh/update.
I first though my latency problem was back with my DSL but a quick ping test shows that may not be the trouble. I suspect there may be some load balancing issues with their network as far as this is concerned. But as long as it doesn't start nagging me with errors I'll be good with the deal anyway :lol:

Maybe there has been a surge of weather station purchases for Christmas and many are signing on and over loading the systems resources :-P
But that's just an under educated guess on my part LOL!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2010, 05:05:18 AM »
Maybe there has been a surge of weather station purchases for Christmas and many are signing on and over loading the systems resources :-P
But that's just an under educated guess on my part LOL!

That is an excellent thought and is probably a contributing factor.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Whitbyweather

• Whitby Weather
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 07:54:21 AM »
 :grin: At last it looks like the problem is solved. My station has been updating just fine all morning and I just got the following message from Weather Underground:
We just found a problem with our data feed that was causing erratic data updates for our PWSs.  This issue has been fixed.  Let us know if you continue to have trouble.
So many thanks to you all for replies, I have learnt a lot.
Best wishes,
Chris

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2010, 08:28:21 PM »
I noticed today when looking at my WU data from work that my stations seem to be updating in a timely fashion again.
Done some additional checking tonight when I got home and verified that the condition seems repaired !

My updates were in the 2-3 second range where they should  for the settings I am using.

Looks like they did indeed find the culprit!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member

Offline Whitbyweather

• Whitby Weather
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 07:20:26 AM »
Guess I spoke too soon, station panel and sticker now not loading atall! Looks like its affecting other sites as well.....
Chris :roll:

Offline Whitbyweather

• Whitby Weather
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2010, 09:08:55 AM »
Panic over, back up now.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 06:00:17 PM »
It seems that WU is having some moderate server issues here. From PWS to Webcam...it's devilishly irritating.  :evil:
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 06:15:21 PM »
Yep,
M updating via Rapid Fire has slowed considerably. Guess they didn't get all their troubles repaired.....

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2010, 03:29:47 PM »

I have my update interval set to every 2.5 seconds.  :roll:

Offline Whitbyweather

• Whitby Weather
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 03:50:21 PM »
Yes, my update is now 37 minutes behind for a 10 minute refresh rate. This is beginning to lose its entertainment value.  ](*,)

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2010, 10:01:10 AM »
Ive noticed today that the 5-minute updates for weather data are updating around every 30 minutes or more.   #-o  Also, the data is showing up on my history pages, but not on the flash player display thing.   :shock:  It is also not showing up on my webpage (because it uses the flash thing).  Is it me or is anybody else seeing this?   ](*,)

THIS HOUSE HAS SHO GONE CRAZY!

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Whitbyweather

• Whitby Weather
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2010, 10:12:16 AM »
Hi Greg, I started this thread a week ago and I had hoped Wunderground had sorted the problem. I now have the same fault again but now I have no updates at all. I live in the UK and as nobody has responded to my emails I just phoned them direct, no one was available and Tech Support were supposed to call back. Guess what, no call....  :evil:

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2010, 10:14:24 AM »
I just checked mine and it looks like it's doing the same thing it was a couple days ago. The data page (history and current) are updating. It's just the right side where the google map is and the banner (no data)/camera window is that's isnt working. That's how mine is acting anyway.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 10:16:08 AM by DanS »

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2010, 10:16:39 AM »
I'm sure they're probably doing some kind of upgrade or reboot or something.  It would be nice if they'd have a "NEWS" section or something like they have mail  alerts so people would know what's going on.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Whitbyweather

• Whitby Weather
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2010, 10:25:20 AM »
I agree entirely, we are all quietly hoeing our rows and wondering what is going on; is it our station problem or them? Some kind of system status page would be a great idea. Also they could take a look at this forum every once in a while to see what folk think.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 10:53:29 AM by Carvells »

Offline Whitbyweather

• Whitby Weather
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2010, 11:09:48 AM »
I just got this email from Wunderground:

We are having some problems with PWS data.  If you are seeing PWS data
problems, please know we are working on it.

Well, now we know...

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2010, 11:12:09 AM »
I agree entirely, we are all quietly hoeing our rows and wondering what is going on; is it our station problem or them? Some kind of system status page would be a great idea. Also they could take a look at this forum every once in a while to see what folk think.

Thanks for the idea! I'll make sure to have a System Status page on WeatherElement.

Chris

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2010, 11:54:51 AM »

We are having some problems with PWS data.  If you are seeing PWS data

Well, now we know...

Problem is... This has been going on for months on and off!  I don't know what the specific issue could be, but it sure seems that they are having a hard time nailing down the cause.

Last night when I was seeing extended delays again with my Rapid Fire updates, I checked LWC's connection logs for Wunderground uploads and saw a string of these:

serverbusy/server not responding

EVOcam had the same basic messages for its image upload attempts.   ](*,)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:00:02 PM by WeatherGoose »

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2010, 08:58:14 PM »

We are having some problems with PWS data.  If you are seeing PWS data

Well, now we know...

Problem is... This has been going on for months on and off!  I don't know what the specific issue could be, but it sure seems that they are having a hard time nailing down the cause.

Last night when I was seeing extended delays again with my Rapid Fire updates, I checked LWC's connection logs for Wunderground uploads and saw a string of these:

serverbusy/server not responding

EVOcam had the same basic messages for its image upload attempts.   ](*,)

I temporarily shut down EVOcam because my Mac was acting painfully slow this morning. After a reboot, double check of Software Updates and a glance at the Activity Monitor..most of it pointed to EVOcam. I left iTunes running for the last few days (forgot about it), so after I quit it, DashboardClient "unexpectedly quit". My comment on that was "How interesting that my Mac should do this, and all I did was quit iTunes".

At least Apple gives you the option to report everything that goes wrong on Mac OS X (specifically Apple related anyways). Microsoft just looks at it and it gets ignored.
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico: