Author Topic: Creeks affect on temperature  (Read 612 times)

Offline Tropical monsoon

Creeks affect on temperature
« on: June 23, 2021, 08:18:13 PM »
On my property which is completely cleared except for trees along a creek line. I have my kestrel drop which is supposed to be very accurate in the shade under some trees approx 20 to 30ft away from the creek and approx 20 ft Above the creek on a high bank.

Would the creek have any Influence on my readings at the distances stated?  If so could anyone provide any studies or literature to support this

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: Creeks affect on temperature
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 08:45:42 AM »
I'm sure it would, but mainly from the evaporation, I'd guess.

The reason being is that I don't live but a few hours from Wisconsin Dells, where about 11,000 years ago an enormous Lake Wisconsin broke through some soft sedimentary rock and drained out in what a few professors calculate happened in 3 or 4 days, creating some amazing rock structures and moving some rocks a bit smaller than a locomotive miles down stream.  The resulting gorgeous land formations has been an attraction for over a hundred years.  Along with the chintzy tourist trap things that sprung up there (the world's largest water park, for example) there are Duck rides.  or D.U.C.K. rides, old WWII amphibious vehicles which take maybe 20 passengers on a several mile trip across land and water to see the formations in one area. 

There is something I call Fern Gulch, where a brief descent into a shaded area, with no water but millions of ferns growing, and the temperature difference as one drives through there is remarkable, and while I've not measured it or heard how much cooler it is, on a hot summer Wisconsin day, it is not only refreshing but gets your attention as to how cool it can be.

Shade, evaporation, and cool surroundings make a difference.  Recall that adobe structures in the desert southwest and northern Mexico region keep cool during the day from their massive heat sinking ability. 

I'm thinking the creeks around where I grew up were cooler having run through rocky areas and sand bottoms which would conduct the stream's heat away, and then any open area above the creek would be cooler.  But in hot summers there were plenty of times when the water would get warm enough to threaten the trout that lived in them.

Lots of factors, but the distance and height away from the stream would be unlikely, in my thinking, to cool that much.

How about a water-temperture sensor, and a dozen or so thermometers logging temps as you move away and up, along with wind speed?  Nice project! 
Dale

PS, look up Wis Dells and read about its formation and see pix of some of the rocks.  I'd sure liked to have been able to float above the area that broke through and drained all the water, safe of course in my time-travel capsule.  One more aside, there was an artificial lake, called Lake Delton, that gave way to wash houses and lots of other stuff down stream.  Sort of ironic that the Dells were made by a breach of the stuff holding the lake back, then to have this happen.  I think there is a Youtube video of that and it is very scary. Sort of like watching the tsunami sweep stuff away, but on a smaller scale.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php