Author Topic: Wireless Radio band interference  (Read 312 times)

Offline fish-on

Wireless Radio band interference
« on: November 29, 2021, 10:22:14 AM »
So here goes.
Just fixed my Envoy antenna after I noticed that my wireless data had lots of dropouts and poor signal quality. I damaged the original coax, bad me, so it needed to be replaced. Got new antenna, Thanks Ryan, and installed it. Also found some fresh Duracell 123 batteries and changed those out on the ISS and the 6332 wireless anemometer transmitter up on the roof. Signals improved too almost perfect. ISS is using id1 and 6332 is using id2. So now for what is causing interference.
I suspect it is the gas meter causing the interference. Gas meter has been modified with the wireless mesh technology and I suspect it uses the 902-928MHz band. It usually happens at night on the hour or 1/2 hour. Never had this prior to mainly the gas meter mod which happened a year ago. I have also noticed when we are not using gas, no issues with signal. I am suspecting gas meter is culprit because it is in front of house and my Envoy is in a back room for total distance of 5' from console and 10' from Envoy. Power meter is 2' from envoy on outside wall. I have not talked to power company, but I suspect they get data from the power line, not through wireless network.

So, all you out there using a wireless setup and an Envoy to get data to computer and network and to console, do any of you have the same issues with interference, and is there and combination of id`s that seem to work best with the wireless utility mesh devices. My suspicion is I could waste a lot of time changing id`s for very little improvement, but just checking to see what others have done. I live in a standard well developed neighborhood with many neighbors using video cameras as well. I think I have helped every neighbor get their security setup so others could not get access to cameras. I know these are not the issue because they are all 2.4 band devices.
So, any ides out there would be appreciated.

As for radar. The closest Naval radar station is 40 miles and it's a small setup on a lake. The mountains around house do have AF comm stations, they are 20 miles as crow flies and are at 5000' and I am at 2000'. We do have 2 airports; one is 20 miles and other is 8 miles away. More suspicious of meters, but open to other devices to check.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 09:41:04 AM by fish-on »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Wireless Radio band interference
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 02:26:03 PM »
I have a Davis long range repeater, heavily modified with a high gain antenna, mini-circuits preamp and a band-pass filter. I use it to pick up the ISS signal from the local Marina about 2,000 ft. (610m) away.

Normally I get good packets in the range of 90+%. However a few months back, the good packet rate dropped to the 40s range. About two weeks ago, it recovered by itself with no intervention from me. It is now back in the 95% range again.

I asked the other Hams (amateur radio operators) and one of the guys said that the local electric utility was running some tests near the Marina. I think that the electric meters are also in this 900MHz band.

Greg H.

p.s. did you mean "wireless mesh"?

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline fish-on

Re: Wireless Radio band interference
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 10:06:11 AM »
yup, I meant wireless mesh.

Most users do not use modified repeaters, just what came from Davis. As I posted, I do not use repeaters or have any need for one.

Power utilities are going to transmit data depending on the ease of getting the data to their data center. It could be wireless or powerline to router connected to fiber or phone line. Gas meters are pretty much wireless. Do not need to explain that.

For now, I am happy with my improved signals and will see what happens when next storm or solar flare comes through.
If you see my post and have some ideas and combinations of id`s that seem to work better, then please pass them on.
Since all the wireless data transmitters that could be used by utilities use frequency hopping, I suspect what I have now is going to be the best I will get. The ISS, being mounted 6' off ground is not affected as much as my 6332 wireless anemometer transmitter up on the roof which is about 30' above ground and unfortunately 30' from power line.

So, if you have this combination of Davis products and have experienced this, I would like to hear what you have done to improve signals between transmitter and VP2 console and/or Envoy.

One other thing, I use only DECT6.0 wireless phones, wife wants a land line, and no 900Mhz devices anywhere on my property. My neighbors are all cell phone users and IoT fans and none of them own any 900Mhz devices.

anything