Author Topic: Cam Conundrum.  (Read 4422 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Cam Conundrum.
« on: November 25, 2021, 10:11:55 AM »
Been looking and looking for outdoor  cams but just can't find something that looks dependable.
What I want is something solar/battery powered and wireless. Plenty of those on the market but when you dig into specifics then I find issues.
Been looking at Amcrest, Arlo, Reolink, Wyze, Nest Cam etc. Actually the only one that looks like a keeper is Zumimall. I never even heard of this one but looks like it might work. Most of these are good cams but the issue seems to be with the associated app to view them. Also finding something with a warranty longer then a year is hard. I mean if it's outside 24/7/365 it's going to take some abuse. Maybe I'm asking too much, I don't know. Just curious what you guys use and what you have had long term success with.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: Cam Conundrum.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 11:20:12 AM »
I never owned a web camera until I bought my first one from Reolink. I think their App and Client software are very good and I have no problems downloading and viewing video. Software has good versatility and allows you to view and download video at different resolutions.

They offer a 30-day money back guarantee, two-year warrant, and free shipping. I got an additional six months of warranty by registering within 30 days of purchase. Look at their deals and flash sales.

I started out with their RCL-511W 5MP Dual-Band WiFi Security Camera and loved the video quality. But it requires power and the motion detection isn’t very good because it does a frame-by-frame compassion and gets confused by changing light conditions like sunlight/car lights and at night by bugs and dust particles. Love everything about this camera except the motion detection.

So, I purchase an Argus 2 which meets your requirements of solar/battery powered and wireless. The motion detection is passive infra-red (PIR) and works like most outdoor motion detection lights but the detection range is less than the 30 feet they claim. Since its battery powered its off until it detects motion and it takes a second before it starts recording. It doesn’t take much sunlight to recharge the battery. It has good versatility and will probably to most of the things you want it to do.

I've been very happy with my Reolink cameras. I've had the RCL-511W for a year without problems with my Minnesota winters. I bought the battery powered Argus 2 this spring so it hasn't had a chance to go though our winters yet.

Argus 2 recording:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eftrl95qo8q51b5/11_12_21%20-%20Buck%20Side%20Yard.mp4?dl=0

Night video of my Argus 2 and RCL-511W cameras. Starts with the Argus 2 and switches to the RCL-511W.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6e18h1jzilomu8/2021_11_22%20-%20Deer%20Side%20%26%20Front%20Yards.mp4?dl=0

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 12:11:39 PM »
Hi worach,
Some great videos...

I see that there are Black Friday deals today at Reolink.com/ca with the Argus 2 camera and solar at $C87.44 Black Friday Sale 2021 | Deals on Security Cameras & Systems – Reolink
Trying to do some quick reading and understand what all is needed but not a lot of details.
Is the camera and solar panel all that is needed?  I've downloaded the App.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 12:31:33 PM »
Yes, that kit is what I purchased. Just yesterday I bought another Argus 2 from the refurbish section.

You should find all the information you need here. Ask any questions you may have and I'll try to answer it for you.

https://reolink.com/product/argus-2/
Right under the top picture there's menu selection as follows.
  •   Overview   
  •   Comparison   
  •   Accessories   
  •   Video   
  •   Specs   
  •   FAQs   
  •   Review  (960)

Added Edit: You need to get a MicroSD card to store video. I bought this MicroSD from NewEgg.com. It will handle extreme outdoor condictions.
https://www.newegg.com/sandisk-64gb-microsdxc/p/N82E16820173221?Item=N82E16820173221
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 12:40:29 PM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 02:18:53 PM »
I bought three of those Argus. Nice cameras and they never run out of battery power.

Just they are no good to upload periodic images for like my weather sites. Since battery and solar run they do not have an FTP function, not meant to be powered continuously.

But they are Dead Awesome with Alexa.

I got one of the Reolink POE Models that I will use to get my West Weather view going.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 03:23:08 PM »
I ordered the Argus 2 as seems a good price and free shipping.  Now the unknown... duty and taxes #-o

Thanks worach,
Paul

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 03:36:41 PM »
I've been keeping an eye on Reolink.  I wanted to buy a 12mp camera system from them, but with chip shortage, that didn't happen.  I'm signed up for their mailing list.  They gave me a promo deal on their new Duo camera.  I got a shipment email just today.

https://reolink.com/product/reolink-duo-poe/

I'm going all POE for my cameras.  The reason I liked this unit was because it has 150 degree view without any fisheye effect.  It stitches 2 cameras into one.  I won't be able to mount it until spring as it's too cold here in ND already.  But I'll probably play around with it by sticking it in a window for now.  My plan is to use IP Timelapse to get it to my site.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 03:39:58 PM by 92merc »
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2021, 08:17:35 AM »
I've been keeping an eye on Reolink.  I wanted to buy a 12mp camera system from them, but with chip shortage, that didn't happen.  I'm signed up for their mailing list.  They gave me a promo deal on their new Duo camera.  I got a shipment email just today.

https://reolink.com/product/reolink-duo-poe/

I'm going all POE for my cameras.  The reason I liked this unit was because it has 150 degree view without any fisheye effect.  It stitches 2 cameras into one.  I won't be able to mount it until spring as it's too cold here in ND already.  But I'll probably play around with it by sticking it in a window for now.  My plan is to use IP Timelapse to get it to my site.
I like the idea of no fisheye effect and being able to cover just about my whole yard. Plus they have that version in wireless. More pricey but oh well. Might have to pull the trigger on that one. Been going back and forth over what cam to get. Soo many to choose from.

Offline scudwatcher

• Billy T. Forecaster Webmaster csraweather.net
  • Senior Contributor
  • Amateur Radio KC4SRA csraweather.net
    • CSRA Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 05:10:18 PM »
Hi,
  I am now running six (6) Reolink RLC-511W 5MP Wireless IP cameras utilizing IPTIMELAPSE for still and timelapse images FTP'd to my website at https://csraweather.net  These cameras are not solar powered and do need to be plugged-in to 110v outlets.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2021, 03:53:37 PM »
I received my Duo camera and plugged it in.  What they didn't tell you is that there are two separate streams, two cameras in one housing.  It's not stitched together as a single image/stream.

Debating on whether I'll keep it or not.  I think IPTL will support 2 cameras.  Just a question if I want two views in the same general direction.  Probably not.  I'd rather one camera east, one camera west. 

I've emailed Reolink about a return.  We'll see what they say, then I'll decide.
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2021, 04:00:34 PM »
I got the Argus 2 in yesterday but haven't been able to get it connected and have sent a support ticket to Reolink.  Their booklet talks about making changes to encryption method of the WiFi network and other things which I am not about to do... 

I don't yet have the Micro SD card and wonder if that is the reason.  Any thoughts?

p.s. no duties and no taxes on arrival =D>

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2021, 05:04:19 PM »
I bought one of these. Argus 3 Pro.
https://reolink.com/us/product/argus-3-pro/#specifications
So far so good. No issues and Paul it connected fine. No SD card either.  I even shut down my router to see if it would reconnect and it did. If this one works out I may get one for the front of the house. Even has a time-lapse feature which is kinda cool.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2021, 05:07:03 PM »
I received my Duo camera and plugged it in.  What they didn't tell you is that there are two separate streams, two cameras in one housing.  It's not stitched together as a single image/stream.

Debating on whether I'll keep it or not.  I think IPTL will support 2 cameras.  Just a question if I want two views in the same general direction.  Probably not.  I'd rather one camera east, one camera west. 

I've emailed Reolink about a return.  We'll see what they say, then I'll decide.
I did a lot of research on that one but ultimately went with another one.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2021, 05:11:22 PM »
It's not a bad camera by any means.  But I can get 2 of their RLC 410's for about the same cost.  I'm hoping they'll let me exchange it for 2 of those.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2021, 05:45:42 PM »
So is 5Mp the same as 2K, 4K, etc, or is that just a larger screen size? This stuff is confusing. :?

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2021, 06:01:54 PM »
2K should be about 4 MP.
4K about 8.3

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2021, 06:09:29 PM »
2K should be about 4 MP.
4K about 8.3
Right. The cam I just bought is a 4MP 2K. So is there a 5MP 2k or 4K? Specifically what is 2K versus 4K. 

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2021, 08:01:01 PM »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2021, 11:57:23 PM »
I submitted my support ticket to Reolink this afternoon and received a telephone call at 11:00 pm our time - probably late Saturday morning overseas somewhere.  Victoria was excellent and patient as she walked me through the process to connect the camera to WiFi.  I couldn't have done it without her on the other end of the call.  None of that process was with the instructions included in the camera box.  She also answered several of my questions on how to use the app and client software, and do the settings.  Very pleased with the support.

Now to see what the camera can do.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2021, 08:52:22 PM »
My first Minnesota winter with a couple of battery operated Argus 2 cameras. Temp got down to 5°F, and they were all recording and reporting without problems. One thing that did stop working is that its too cold for the solar panel to recharge the battery, and that's a big issue. Batteries seem to last a couple of weeks without charging so I may need to bring them into the house to recharge.

Spec states operating temperature is -10°C to 55°C (14°F to 131°F). So it will need sunshine and warm enough temperature to recharge the battery.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2021, 06:20:19 AM »
That's odd. I never knew cold weather affects the panels ability to charge. Just thought it needed sunshine or even a cloudy day to charge.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2021, 08:43:53 AM »
More a problem with cold battery than cold solar panel.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2021, 09:52:19 AM »
More a problem with cold battery than cold solar panel.
Just assumed that with todays technology that wouldn't be an issue. I wonder if Davis users in cold climates have the same problem.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2021, 10:06:30 AM »
I sort of wonder too as my Argus 2 that is even shadowed half the day runs all winter if sun is out. It takes many days of heavy obscuration to knock it out.

But the panel should not be any trouble due to simply cold.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2021, 11:22:29 AM »
This doesn't seem right to me because it seems too long, but I saw one of Reolink's support articles stating that it takes the solar panel 3-4 days to fully recharge a cameras battery if the camera is off or in standby mode and within working temperature/humidity standards. Mine doesn't have any problems keeping a full charge if the conditions are right.

How Long Does it Take to Fully Charge the Batteries for Reolink Battery-Powered Cameras
https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-us/articles/900000438403-How-Long-Does-it-Take-to-Fully-Charge-the-Batteries-for-Reolink-Battery-Powered-Cameras
Please note that the charging time for all Reolink Battery-Powered cameras is greatly affected by the charge environment temperature.

• Normally it will take about 4-5 hours to fully charge the battery-powered camera under environment temperature 10 ℃- 30 ℃
  • It will take about 6-8 hours or more time to fully charge the battery-powered cameras under environment temperature 30 ℃- 45℃
  • It will take about double of the time to fully charge the battery-powered camera under environment temperature 0 ℃- 10 ℃ than the normal environment temperature
  • It will not charge the battery properly once the environment temperature below 0 ℃ or over 45 ℃

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173