Author Topic: Repairing vs replacing ISS on VP2  (Read 718 times)

Offline JohnAweather

Repairing vs replacing ISS on VP2
« on: September 15, 2021, 11:22:48 AM »
Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker/obssesor

I have a VP2 6153 purchased July 2016. I am torn between repairing vs replacing the ISS assembly.

Background is my station has been shamefully neglected and damaged. It has had about 3 years of operation, followed by an additional two years of sitting indoors after the unit took a fall and cracked the housing to the ISS and snapped some screws.

I've caught the bug to get 'er back in operation. I've replaced the temp/humidity sensor, FARS fan/batteries, broken screws, etc.

But, back on topic, the ISS transmitter housing got cracked when it fell over. Really, it's just the back shell cover - it got busted up and a piece of plastic is missing. Fortunately, the circuitry and front panel appear to be in great shape and all has been reporting just fine since I put it back together just a couple of days ago. But I don't like the idea of having an ISS housing that is cracked - susceptible to insects and moisture. I want to properly take care of my station now. Seems like it should be well sealed up.

So far I have ordered a new rear clam shell cover and foam insert from SI. How easy would it be to remove the circuitry from the current housing and fasten to the new back shell cover? I'm trying to avoid having to pay $150 for a whole new ISS with printed circuit board assembly when only a $6 shell is broken.

How doable is a rear shell replacement? It seems like it could be pretty tricky removing and then refastening the existing PCBA to the new rear shell with the antenna and such.

What are your thoughts/experiences?

I appreciate your feedback

John

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Repairing vs replacing ISS on VP2
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 01:18:28 PM »
The slightly tricky part if you're not used to it is removing the existing backplate from the ISS, but just needs a little care and patience - sometime the securing clip comes out easily, but sometimes it needs a bit more brute strength and leverage.

Once the old backplate is out then swapping the PCBS is simple - 4 (IIRC) screws and pull out the white tab compressing the antenna grommet. Reverse actions to reassemble.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline JohnAweather

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 05:27:32 PM »
Thank you for the information. Seems very doable!

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 06:46:14 PM »
I hate pulling that clip. Do it the wrong way and it suddenly pops out and something flies across the room, you bash your knuckles, or whatever.

A carefully planned pry device working both ends a tiny bit at a time seems to work for me.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 07:51:12 PM »
Thank you for the information. Seems very doable!

I have done this several times over the years for cleaning, etc., and it is fairly easy. Take few photos before you do that in case you forget how to reassemble.

Davis used to have a video either on its website or maybe it was on YouTube on how to do this procedure. Very useful if still available. Found it—

https://support.davisinstruments.com/article/gs7bxerhdf-replacing-your-davis-weather-transmitter

« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 08:30:58 AM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline JohnAweather

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 12:09:25 PM »
Thanks everybody for your input. The video is a great suggestion. Theirs came off easy. Should receive the part today or tomorrow.  [tup]

anything