Author Topic: The straw that broke my back...  (Read 3288 times)

Offline A1cntrler

The straw that broke my back...
« on: August 30, 2021, 10:15:00 AM »
I've been an Acurite user for many years.  Probably was in 2013 when I got my first 5-in-1.  I upgraded it with the dual solar panel option (The SoCal heat made that a necessity!), purchased the Bridge for it to upload and share my data and even built a Meteobridge for it to share my data elsewhere and with faster updates.  Had 4 displays through my home for it, and upgraded the displays several times as newer and nicer looking ones became available.  I purchased 2 other complete systems (upgrades too and internet connected) for my dad at his house and my mom at her house.

When the Atlas was in development I was fortunate to be a part of the beta testing.  I enjoyed the interaction with the development team and felt like suggestions were being listened to and bugs were getting worked out.  Once complete, the reward for being a part of that was a production Atlas unit.  I did purchase two additional displays (one was my beta display, one with the new production Atlas plus 2 more) for the various locations around the house.

Yesterday I needed to move the plug for one of my displays to another location on my UPS to make room for something else.  When I plugged it back in I was greeted with the Acu>Rite splash screen and that's it.  Unplugged again, tried the hidden reset button.  Nothing.  Left it unplugged overnight, plugged it back in, same screen.

This incident has sealed the fate of my Acurite system and finally pushed me to move on somewhere else.  Below I'll list my reasons (and after seeing them all listed out like this, I'm really not sure why I lasted so long, even though most of my equipment was free to me....)

1.  The first thing I wasn't pleased with was the new method for getting my data to the internet.  I enjoyed being able to share my data where and when I liked to (not just WeatherUnderground) via my Meteobridge.  The data was rapid-fire and updated every couple of seconds.  Once the new bridge came the MeteoBridge could no longer see my data.  So is my data really mine anymore?  It now all belongs to Acurite and they can use it as they see fit.

2.  Atlas Display:  The display is beautiful.  There's no denying that.  But I'd like to be able to display data on it that is useful to me.  The biggest gripe is rainfall.  I'd much rather be able to see the amount of rain I've had each day, resetting at midnight local each day.  I'm not really interested in seeing it randomly shown at past 24 hours, past 48 hours, past 72 hours....

It would be nice to be able to see the dewpoint year round.  Instead it forces me to see heat index and wind chill and occasionally it will display the dew point in certain temperature ranges..

Also I'm running 4 displays.  Each one shows different information at the same times.  Rainfall and lightning strikes are the most noticed differences.  For instance I'll show .25 rainfall on one display and .67 on another.  Also one unit will show the weekly rainfall amount as 0.00 despite there being .25 for the day shown.  It will however add that .25 for the day into the yearly total.  I never figured it out so would just live with it.

3.  Atlas unit:  It has an amazing array of sensors.  If they all worked properly it would be awesome!  The lightning detector would frequently show thousands of strikes on bright sunny days.  I tracked the issue back to the solar panels.  Tried to get it replaced or repaired, but with no receipt or purchase record (reward for beta testing) it was jumping though hoops to try and get anything looked at.  I solved my own problem by swapping the solar panel top off my Beta unit onto the Production unit.

The UV sensor never seemed to work properly both on my Beta or Production unit.  Sitting in the SoCal sun midday in the summer, I'd at most get a UV reading on 3.  Other nearby stations report reading of 10 plus.  Was never able to get this sorted out so just lived with it.

These were the things that frustrated me the most.  I'm sure there were other smaller things that I just lived with.

My brother has had the same Ambient station since 2014  and it's still pumping out data like day 1 with no problems.  I'm probably leaning in the Ambient/Ecowitt direction but still doing my research.  The WS-5000 intrigues me with the ultrasonic wind measurement and the display.  I really enjoy the lightning detector and this unit is one of the few I've seen that integrates it into the display. 

Thanks for listening!  Farewell Acurite.

Ambient WS-5000 (KVACHEST93)

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: The straw that broke my back...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 03:10:04 PM »
I feel and share most of your frustration with the Atlas line of products. It was released too early and with problems. I bought my Atlas the first week it was released from Amazon and have had multiple problems.
  • I’ve had three HD displays freeze up just like yours. (Replaced under warranty).
  • My Access stopped working. (replaced under warranty).
  • I had the false lightning problem and sent it back for repair. (Repaired under warranty).
  • The wind direction got stuck at 23 degrees, they sent me a new weather vane cable (Fixed under warranty).
  • Complained about the low UV readings and filed a warranty claim. They acknowledge there was a problem and said they were working on it. Never heard back from them again (Not fixed).
  • Hate the rain total, dew point problem on the display too, makes it useless to me.
The only good thing I can say is that although its been a pain in the ass to deal with the problems, to AcuRite’s credit they have replaced my defective equipment (Except the low UV readings) and have been good to deal with.

Coming up to three years since purchase and things have been working well now for close to two years after dealing with the problems.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 03:15:45 PM »
I held off buying a weather station for 4 years waiting for Accurite to release the Elite weather station. I finally gave up and bought an Ambient WS-2000. I have had it less then two weeks, but so far I am happy with it.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline A1cntrler

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 03:44:55 PM »
they have replaced my defective equipment (Except the low UV readings) and have been good to deal with.

I have seen on the forums that they do tend to be rather attentive sometimes, I had a hard time the first time I requested help due to the unit being my reward for being a beta tester.  Instead of jumping though hoops every time to try and get things fixed I just lived with them.  I'm surprised I've made it this far.   If I recall correctly, the beta testing was complete and I got my production unit the end of 2018? 

I don't think the UV readings were ever right on my beta or production unit.  I remember bringing it up that I was in Southern California, bright sunny cloudless skies in the middle of summer at high noon and it'd read at a max 3 or 4.  They told me that those were the UV readings on those days (despite local NWS stations showing 10+ some of those days). 

Offline A1cntrler

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 03:50:20 PM »
I held off buying a weather station for 4 years waiting for Acurite to release the Elite weather station. I finally gave up and bought an Ambient WS-2000. I have had it less then two weeks, but so far I am happy with it.

I'd like to think the Elite would have better QC than the Atlas being that they were both announced around the same time and it has yet to be seen in the wild even for testing.  Haven't seen mention of it for a while either from Acurite.

Good luck with your WS-2000!  My brother has had an Ambient 1400IP for many years now trouble free and that's the reason I'm considering Ambient myself.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 07:01:17 PM »
When my 5 in 1 system dies I'll probably look somewhere else too. The smart hub to access switch wasn't handled well and really soured me to Acurite. Like you I'm leaning towards Ambient.

On a slightly different somewhat off topic note, I had an LG TV that got stuck on the splash screen. I tried the stuff you mention, reset, power down, restart, etc. Researching this online one of the cures recommended was baking the mother board in the oven (385deg for 15-20 minutes. yeah, seriously). I assumed it was a joke or an attempt to get people to do something stupid but since it was heading to the garbage I figured I didn't have anything to lose. Long story short it fixed the problem. That was over 5 years ago and it's still working fine.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2021, 07:13:45 PM »
Acurite needs a PC connect display for the Atlas, or a different kind of hub that is flexible like the Ecowitt receiver.

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 12:06:42 PM »
I have an atlas that I installed a few months back.  Continuously malfunctioning.  2 displays, one HD touchscreen, which didn’t work out of the box and was replaced, and a WiFi unit that malfunctions seemingly every day…and has been serviced and replaced.

AcuRite admits that there’s an issue they are working on with the reporting, but there’s no end in sight yet.

It would be wrong of me to leave out the fact that every time my atlas malfunctions my 5in1 is chugging along without fault…and hasn’t been touched in a year.

No joke, I have done at least several hundred “factory resets” on the atlas…as that seems to be the “cure-all” that cures nothing.

My back is broke too…feels like a freight train and not a straw having hundreds in a system that doesn’t do the one thing one I thing I want from it: reliably report weather to the internet.

Offline vreihen

• El Nińo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 12:51:31 PM »
After waiting two years for the Elite, I bought a Davis VP2.  The VP2 is long out of warranty already, and the Elite is still vaporware.  Not that I need a warranty, because the only time that I had to touch the VP2 was to clean some seeds out of the aerocone rain bucket's debris screen...once.

Note that it took less than a minute to add the Davis station to WeeWX, and it is supported natively and not via some kludge with third-party interceptors gathering packets bound for WU.

My old 5-in-1's were durable, but a real PITA to get data from locally once the AcuRite consoles with USB support went unobtanium.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 10:30:58 AM »
This morning I checked my email and had offline notices from MyAcurite..no communication for 4 hours.  I don’t usually get that when there’s a problem with the data…everything is good, but no data.

This morning was the opposite, my AcuRite said offline and all the data was there and the connections appeared good.

Then I went back and looked and the data is now gone  :roll:

The old 5in1 still trucking along without a hiccup….

Offline thomas

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2021, 07:31:16 PM »
I posted a couple weeks ago about my Atlas going dead.  I purchased it when they first came out.  Had a 5 in1 before that went about year and a half.  They are all in a box in my basement now decided they are just not long term instruments.  I have a Davis and 2 Tempest systems now.

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2021, 07:59:24 PM »
Attached is what I get from my Atlas pretty much every day…a five hour so period of NO data.

Have been working with AcuRite for about two months.  They’ve had me factory reset and other guidance, sent the unit back and returned it to me with NO info…(it didn’t work after they touched it), replaced the unit, and nothing ….seriously NOTHING has changed.

They even suggested that after they replaced the unit - bought from weathershack - that I rerun what they sent me to weathershack.

That’s not a return!!!

Have had everything related to the internet replaced, even underground wires to the street and all hardware.  Upgraded to the best service I can possibly buy…

The most recent email string with AcuRite has 40 emails and all you can gather from it is that they know are issues and their searching for a solution.  I’ve tried to follow up and provide additional info…and they respond acknowledging an issue and they will let me know if they ever figure it out.

Don’t even get me started in the lightning detector….a total sh!t show…one I could OVERLOOK if the atlas had any semblance of reliability.  Apparently I am supposed to eat the cost of a lightning detector on top of the hundreds I’ve invested in system that doesn’t work…

Tired of the costly blame shifting.  This Atlas system is a train wreck!!!

Still, My 5in1 trucks on…not so much as a hiccup and at a much lower cost.  1 year now and have done ZERO maintenance, and haven’t even changed batteries.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2021, 08:56:46 PM »
So the problem is the Access or the Atlas? It seems like what I experienced when my Atlas would not send to the Access after sundown, but would send fine to the display. Once the sun came up, data would flow again. This was the Atlas I was sent for Beta testing the system. The beta unit worked fine, and so did the third Atlas they sent me, and it is still working. All the units worked OK on the display, but the one that worked well with the Access would lose signal on the display at times. Very odd.

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2021, 09:13:44 PM »
I don’t have an access.  Just an Atlas and a WiFi display.

Don’t know which is the problem; just that a I paid for a system that would report to the internet and don’t have that; at least with any degree of reliability.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2021, 08:35:13 AM »
I've been pleased for the most part with my 5in1 sensors over the years. I've had 3. The anemometer works great now with new sealed bearings. It starts and turns even when my Atlas cups are stopped. The Atlas cups are a couple of feet higher than the Iris. The Atlas signal is the only serious issue I've had, and the batteries die after about 8 or 9 months. I guess that isn't terrible, but seems like they should last a little longer. I may take down the Atlas, as it isn't really doing anything extra for me, and is just out there in the yard. The temperature and humidity match the Iris well.

Offline mikemaps

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2021, 12:38:42 PM »
I’ve got to say I’ve had my Atlas over 2/12 years now. I’m on my 3rd display the other 2 died quickly but the 3 rd one has worked fine for close to 2 years. The only real problem I’ve had was the range, if the station was about 50 feet away from the Access with a couple of walls it lost connection quite a bit. Now that I have the Access closer it works fine. It appears to be very accurite even the rain & lightning. That said, if I was in the market for a new station I would go with the Ambient WS-2000 or WS-5000, or if I wanted to spend more the Davis Vantage Pro.

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2021, 01:20:31 PM »
Well, I’ve messaged AcuRite and asked to return the whole system.  I’ve been through the ringer troubleshooting a problem that and have been chasing my tail the whole time.  I’ve probably spent five times what the system costs trying to sort it out, and they know there’s a problem and don’t have an answer.

Don’t know they’ll say now.  The bulk of my system came directly from AcuRite, and some ancillary components from weathershack.  Last time we discussed a return they seemed to want me to dump the stuff on weathershack…maybe that will change now that they admit a problem?  If they want me to return cables and miscellaneous components to weathershack…I will eat the cost on those things.  I’m simply not  going to return minor parts to a company and expect them to reimburse me when the product they’re attached to is the issue.

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2021, 01:22:12 PM »
By the way…same hiccup in reporting today.

Offline jjh92

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2021, 01:50:25 PM »
DanInNC, do you get those dropouts if the Atlas is close to the display indoors in the same room?  Trying to understand if you have a RF transmission issue.

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2021, 05:50:14 PM »
I haven’t taken the atlas down and set it next to the display, but Ive been able to confirm that it has perfect signal during the spells of no data.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2021, 10:52:31 PM »
is it maybe a time issue (GMT) ?

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2021, 10:16:35 AM »
Yeah, I don’t know.  There’s no more troubleshooting steps from AcuRite…this is all I can get now.

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2021, 10:13:14 AM »
Going a different direction now and going to try an Access as opposed to the WiFi display.

Crossing my fingers, but not holding my breath.

Offline DanInNC

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2021, 01:21:44 PM »

The only good thing I can say is that although its been a pain in the ass to deal with the problems, to AcuRite’s credit they have replaced my defective equipment (Except the low UV readings) and have been good to deal with.

One thing I can agree with is that AcuRite’s staff has been excellent.  The rep I have been working with has been exceptionally patient even when my limits have been tested beyond max.  They have, over the long run, made right on everything.

It’s been VERY frustrating for me…but that staff has done a great job.

Offline aspexin91

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2021, 05:03:40 PM »
I've had the Atlas with Access unit now since 2019 and it has performed flawlessly. There was a hiccup a few days ago which looked like a problem with the Acurite Web site not collecting data. I've been happy with this setup.

anything