Author Topic: Saratoga - getting variables for WU-radar-inc.php  (Read 584 times)

Offline seocom

Saratoga - getting variables for WU-radar-inc.php
« on: June 26, 2021, 09:38:25 AM »
Hi All,

Got in an Ambient WS-2902C and have been setting up the Saratoga Templates. Getting most of it done OK, but am having trouble getting the $MetroURL and $CityURL variables.

Went to Wunderground and tried to pull up a NEXRAD map and do the listed steps to acquire this info, but it does not seem to work. When I can actually get to what I believe to be a NEXRAD map for my area of the country, and I try to draw the square, sometimes it does seem to work, but it comes out way off center from what I "squared off". And when I try to right click to save image, it just does not even give me an option to do so.

I know that Wunderground seems to change things around on a regular basis, so is this one of those "changed things" now? And if so, how can I get this info for setting up my WU maps?

I've been struggling with this one over the course of several days now and it gets frustrating...Many thanks on any ideas.

Stan...

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: Saratoga - getting variables for WU-radar-inc.php
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 10:22:34 AM »
I'm using Firefox browser on a Win10 system, and the square-drawing and right-click (on the Save Image link at the bottom), then 'Copy Link' seems to work fine for me (just tried it).  Also tried (and it worked) with Chrome and Edge browsers. Which browser on which OS are you using?

Yes, WU is fiddling with the classic radar presentation displays.. it's only recently that the square-draw select was re-enabled again.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline seocom

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 08:00:43 PM »
Hi Ken,

Many thanks for getting back to me on this. After fiddling for a while, I was finally able to get some WX maps to get this done. I mis-read the instructions and was looking for "save image" in the dropdown after you do the square drawing bit.

A couple of problems that I was running into were that, besides that I was looking for the save image click in the dropdown instead of at the bottom of the page, were that if I actually drew the box around my location, the resulting map would come out to be far too high, so after many trial and errors, I ended up drawing my box about 250-300 miles to the South of my location and then it came out close enough to work with. The other thing was that after trying to draw the box once or twice, I would have to exit the map completely and start over from the main map, otherwise it would stop allowing me to draw the box. (BTW, I am using the latest Firefox on Win7. Although I did try Chrome with the same results...)

I did notice that some maps are not available, even on your site. Mode5 (entire US), Mode 4 (large section of US), and the fronts map (mode6) and flu map (mode20), so I guess these are not available.

Also, do you have to subscribe to something to get the GRLevel3 maps to download, or should I post this as a separate question? All I get is the status of my local NEXRAD station (KOKX) and the statement that "GRLevel3 radar images are not available at this time."

Many thanks for your help, and for all the hard work and time you have put into these templates. They are great!!!

Stan...

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 07:36:07 PM »
Yes, WU is still (slowly) pruning back the number and types of maps shown on the site, and the WU-radar-inc.php hasn't kept up with the changes.
The maps for Mode5, 6, and 20 just aren't being produced any more.  I'm trying to let them settle into what they will offer before I grind thru and prune back the WU-radar-inc.php script to a shadow of its former self.

Re GRLevel3 -- it's a for-purchase program ($80) from http://www.grlevelx.com/grlevel3_2/ -- well worth it for good radar images.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP