Author Topic: Vantage Pro2 temperature won't sense/display temps below -30F I'm in Alaska  (Read 315 times)

Offline WX99716

I have a Davis Vantage Pro2 station.  I purchased it in 2011. 

It no longer displays temperatures colder than about -30F.  I live in Fairbanks, Alaska and this matters to me.

The symptom/behavior was for the sensor data to "flat-line" at about -30F when I know it was -40F.  Then when it warms up, it comes back to life.

Today, it jumped to display 0F (zero F) when it got down to -40F last night.

Do I need a new temp sensor?
Davis lists SKU 7346.070 for $60

John

Offline N0NB

• Amateur weather observer
  • Contributor
    • N0NB.us
Call Davis.  Within the past couple of weeks my new ISS transmitter stopped transmitting for some periods of time when it got to -10F or so and even at those temps would come back to life.  We've had a lot of cloud cover the past month but one of the days had been cloudless and it quit about 20 minutes after sunset then came back a few hours later in the middle of the night.   #-o   I know how frustrating it is when a person wants to record these extremes and the equipment fails.

You might also consider contacting Ryan at Scaled Instruments https://www.scaledinstruments.com/ for another opinion.

Offline drrehak

Have you tried replacing the battery?  My Davis does similar things in cold with no sun to charge the super capacitor; drops some sensors but not all; they come back at random times.  My Meteobridge shows some sensors with no battery/no signal and others OK.  New battery seems to help. 
Dan Rehak | Pittsburgh PA
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus | Meteobridge Pro
Local Site | Raspberry Pi 4B

Offline WX99716

I replaced the battery about 2 months ago.  But as you know batteries depend on a chemical action which gets very slow at -40F. 

I did contact Davis and purchased a new temp sensor and they are also sending a new super capacitor.

I noticed today that I have " L " loss of signal display on the console when it was -40F.  So maybe not just the temp sensor.

So today I followed that up with a request for information about an external power supply for the remote.
I could just run an extension cord and "plug it in".

I also asked about a replacement transmitter in case that was the failure point in these cold temps.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 04:37:40 PM by WX99716 »

anything