Author Topic: Persistance of rolling thunder and the mechanism behind it  (Read 10409 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Persistance of rolling thunder and the mechanism behind it
« on: June 22, 2013, 08:39:13 PM »
One of my favorite sounds in the summer is the slow passage of a distant thunderstorm, with quiet conditions locally allowing the enjoyment of 'gentle' thunder, rolling along for perhaps ten or fifteen seconds after the initial onset.

I have never seen a good explanation for how the length of time that a distance lightning discharge creates a longer rolling sound.  Is it cloud to cloud lightning discharging towards and away from me, rather than perpendicular?

I have a hard time thinking the sound is reflected from clouds and rain internal to the clouds, and the lightning is usually far enough away that a flash isn't seen, nor the usual sharp start to the thunder that occurs with closer strikes.

Anyone know why, or heard a good explanation?

One last observation and again a question as to the mechanism.  Forgive my prose, my grammar school teacher didn't advise me to go into creative writing.

To set the stage, at maybe two or three a.m. I was awakened by the sound of distant rolling thunder coming through our open bedroom window.  I love the sound, and get to hear it so seldom with quiet local conditions and no wind or rain in the trees, that I stayed awake listening to it rather than fall back to sleep.

I used the '1001, 1002, 1003...' method of trying to time the length of each roll, knowing that the perception of time can be warped with being tired or not having some more precise way of gauging the time I could hear the rolls.

Most were in the 10 - 12 second range.

Then, a very rare occurrence of a wonderful roll:  It started as the others did, but according to my counting, persisted for 35-37 seconds.  During the roll, at about 15 seconds, it became somewhat louder and as it decreased in intensity at about 20 seconds, the vibration must have hit a resonance of the house and ground, since the whole house 'shuddered' and I perceived a true shake or movement of the house as would be from a very nearby strike with more acoustic energy in it.  No dishes nor windows rattled, but it definitely gave a good shake for a couple seconds, then the roll continued to die out.

A few more normal rolls, then the same longer roll, with the ground/house shake or resonance occurred again.  Very cool. 

I am at a loss to explain the longer rolls, and wonder if anyone else has experienced the resonance or shaking of a building from thunder who's original lightning must have been 15-20 miles distant?

Thoughts?

Whatever caused it, it was wonderful and no I hadn't been drinking or smoking anything.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: Persistance of rolling thunder and the mechanism behind it
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 07:35:15 AM »
"I hadn't been drinking or smoking anything."
That's funny. :grin:
I don't have a definitive answer but in the decaying stages of thunderstorms you get a lot of cloud to cloud lightning. I have read that this lightning can stretch out to over 30 miles. Imagine if it's starting point was somewhere near you and it's endpoint was 20 miles away. That could explain the long duration of the the thunder. Also terrain has something to do with it. I have heard Slow Weather, Chris, talk about the rolling thunder where he lives in the mountains. I have a friend who lives in western North Carolina in the mountains who also says that the thunder seems to go on forever.
Also, I have heard that loud thunder you experienced where the whole house just shakes. It goes on for a bit then you get a couple deep booms where you can hear plates or metallic objects bang together. Definitely cool.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 08:51:35 AM »
An experiment to help determine the cause of this phenomenon of 'rolling thunder' would probably involve an array of microphones over several square miles.  The recordings could then be analyzed in order to visualize the augmentation and diminution of sound waves at various times and locations during the storm.  The hypothesis that multiple reflections and/or diffuse origins could result in prolonged 'rolling thunder' might be subjected to a more rigorous analysis and test.

My personal opinion, and that's all it is, is that multiple ground and air-based reflections produce 'rolling thunder', and at times these reflections reinforce each other to produce a strong 'shock wave' that we feel, marvel at, and mostly enjoy.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 09:28:50 AM »
sounds great, the sound would appear to be more of a doppler effect.    I always thought "rolling thunder"  was  Fat Albert on roller skates after partaking of the annual baked bean feed. ](*,)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 09:59:30 AM »
Again thanks for the multiple replies, guys (and gals).

One theme to the replies is that I discovered I'm not alone in having experienced this, and also that the phenomenon brings out a bit of appreciation of nature and awe in the responders.

Good to know we can be impressed by nature.

Now, on to find out why sometimes lightning seems to 'crawl' along the bottom of a cloud.  Very impressive if you're lucky enough to see it.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 02:59:05 PM »
hills are good and reflecting the sound as well
the open flat country side of say the mid west does not bounce around the thunder like rolling hills do
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 10:24:26 PM »
This is just an abstract, but I have read similar material on the web and lightning books. The lightning "tortuous" path is 3D and the sound does not emanate from a single line source. It can have varying distances associated with a single stroke. The sound arrival times vary giving the drawn out effect.

http://asadl.org/jasa/resource/1/jasman/v72/i6/p1911_s1?isAuthorized=no

Greg H

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF