Author Topic: WU read API  (Read 1816 times)

Offline jteloh

WU read API
« on: February 27, 2021, 09:33:30 AM »
Does anyone know if WU has changed or eliminated the read API? It seems that users are no longer able to read data...

Offline jteloh

Re: WU read API
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 10:31:56 AM »
Does anyone know if WU has changed or eliminated the read API? It seems that users are no longer able to read data...

Let me be clear on this. Web usage of any station is not a problem. Apps that try to read a stations data don't function.

Online saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 12:29:33 PM »
The PWS Conditions (according to the docs should still allow queries of the format
Code: [Select]
https://api.weather.com/v2/pws/observations/current?stationId=StationID&format=json&units=e&numericPrecision=decimal&apiKey=yourApiKey
I just tried using my station, API key and it worked fine (JSON returned)
{"observations":[{"stationID":"KCASARAT1","obsTimeUtc":"2021-02-27T17:27:07Z","obsTimeLocal":"2021-02-27 09:27:07","neighborhood":"Scotland Dr. near Glasgow Dr.","softwareType":"WeatherDisplay:10.37S","country":"US","solarRadiation":466.0,"lon":-122.022957,"realtimeFrequency":null,"epoch":1614446827,"lat":37.2747,"uv":1.1,"winddir":301,"humidity":64,"qcStatus":1,"imperial":{"temp":48,"heatIndex":48,"dewpt":36,"windChill":45,"windSpeed":5,"windGust":7,"pressure":30.19,"precipRate":0.00,"precipTotal":0.00,"elev":375}}]}
Which apps are you using that are now failing?
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline jteloh

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 01:16:56 PM »
underthewx which is a mac app.

{"observations":[{"stationID":"KCASARAT1","obsTimeUtc":"2021-02-27T17:27:07Z","obsTimeLocal":"2021-02-27 0

[/quote]

underthewx a mac app which does not use the key.

Online saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 01:21:19 PM »
When the TWC/WU API was implemented in 2019, all queries have to have a valid API key (Free for WU data contributors, paid for other apps/non-contributors).

The author of underthewx would have to use an API key to RETRIEVE your WU conditions (either paid for by the author, or allow a setting for you to enter your PWS API key to use).

According to the apple store
UnderTheWX reads weather data off the popular AcuRite USB Professional Weather Centers and uploads it to Weather Underground, Weathercloud, PWSWeather, WOW and CWOP.

The app is a Status Bar Menu which displays Temperature, Humidity, Wind speed and direction, Rainfall and Barometer. UnderTheWX supports the AcuRite 01025, 01036, 02032, 02064 and 06037M USB Personal Weather Stations.

So is your problem with SUBMITTING data to WeatherUnderground?  If so, you just need to have a WU userid/password as submissions are done with HTTP GET requests with the weather data incorporated in the URL along with your stationID, userid, password.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 01:26:23 PM by saratogaWX »
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Auntie Weda

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 04:41:17 PM »
I am having problems as well with the UnderTheWx Mac app. I am NOT sending them my PWS data as I do that via my Ambient Weather Station and app.
I am unable to "Fetch" any WU weather station information which would appear in my Menu bar. Every test fails fetching anyone's weather info. It was last working Feb. 25, 2021. I have emailed the dev/getware but haven't received a response.
I thought that it might be due to the recent Big Sur update 11.2.2 but the same issue occurs on another Mac with Macos Mojave. That being said, WU may have changed something that the app Dev needs to figure out.
My PWS data is displaying and updating all of the time on the WU website. Just missing this convenient little app and my PWS info in my menu bar. First world problem! 😜
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 04:46:12 PM by Auntie Weda »

Offline jteloh

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 04:49:55 PM »
When the TWC/WU API was implemented in 2019, all queries have to have a valid API key (Free for WU data contributors, paid for other apps/non-contributors).

The author of underthewx would have to use an API key to RETRIEVE your WU conditions (either paid for by the author, or allow a setting for you to enter your PWS API key to use).

A
So is your problem with SUBMITTING data to WeatherUnderground?  If so, you just need to have a WU userid/password as submissions are done with HTTP GET requests with the weather data incorporated in the URL along with your stationID, userid, password.

No I submit data just fine. underthewx retrieved data just fine until two days ago. They must have made the API key mandatory.

Online saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 05:56:47 PM »
The API key has always been mandatory (since they initially released the API V2).  It's possible that the API key built-in to underthewx app has expired, and so stopped working.  That's something to take up with the app developer.

It's also possible that the app developer slipstreamed on using the default API key used by the WU website for queries, and now the WU/TWC elves have identified that misuse (likely by the request headers of browser type and/or referrer) and have firewalled off the use from the app.  If the developer hadn't purchased an API key, then the above is a likely scenario.  If they had purchased and API key, it may have expired and needs to be renewed.  In either case, it's a fix only the app developer can make to their app.

Offline Auntie Weda

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 08:37:34 PM »
I just received an email from the UnderTheWx Dev. Here's his response-->

UnderTheWX is currently broken for users that fetch data from Weather Underground (WUnderground).  On February 26, the WUnderground API we use started returning an error.  This happened back in 2020 which caused a 4 day outage, but eventually the API worked again.   This time, the situation looks more serious.

We are working hard to find an alternative solution and to keep our App free to everyone.

Not a surprise in light of what WU/IBM has been doing in the past couple of years....

underthewx which is a mac app.

{"observations":[{"stationID":"KCASARAT1","obsTimeUtc":"2021-02-27T17:27:07Z","obsTimeLocal":"2021-02-27 0

[/quote]

underthewx a mac app which does not use the key.

Offline jteloh

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 09:45:39 AM »
I love this program and the developer is pretty responsive too!

From email from Developer

As many of you know, our App stopped working on February 26th for users pulling from Weather Underground.  AcuRite users are not affected.

The Wunderground API we use finally broke.  We have a fix and are currently in test.  Instead of running a usual Beta cycle, we are going to release the App on the Mac App Store and go for broke.  Any additional feedback and bugs will be included in subsequent releases.  We expect to submit the binary to Apple this weekend and it should be released a few days later.

The fix requires you to create an account on Wunderground, which many of you have.  Once you have an account, you need to create an API key and this key will be entered into the App preferences.  If you want to get a head start, create your account and API key here:
https://www.wunderground.com/member/api-keys

Lastly, we want to thank all of you for your support.   We are grateful for all of the offers to pay for the App.  But our App will always be free and we only live for positive feedback, feature suggestions and 5 star ratings.

Check the Mac App Store for the update in a few days.

Offline Auntie Weda

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 10:54:09 PM »
I love this program and the developer is pretty responsive too!

From email from Developer

As many of you know, our App stopped working on February 26th for users pulling from Weather Underground.  AcuRite users are not affected.

The Wunderground API we use finally broke.  We have a fix and are currently in test.  Instead of running a usual Beta cycle, we are going to release the App on the Mac App Store and go for broke.  Any additional feedback and bugs will be included in subsequent releases.  We expect to submit the binary to Apple this weekend and it should be released a few days later.

The fix requires you to create an account on Wunderground, which many of you have.  Once you have an account, you need to create an API key and this key will be entered into the App preferences.  If you want to get a head start, create your account and API key here:
https://www.wunderground.com/member/api-keys

Lastly, we want to thank all of you for your support.   We are grateful for all of the offers to pay for the App.  But our App will always be free and we only live for positive feedback, feature suggestions and 5 star ratings.

Check the Mac App Store for the update in a few days.

This method using the WU API will only work if you have a PWS & share your data with WU. Otherwise WU won't let you get an API KEY. I'm lucky & have had one for years but many won't.

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk

anything