Author Topic: Going to try to order one for Central California  (Read 917 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Going to try to order one for Central California
« on: August 25, 2014, 12:33:53 PM »
What are the current buying recommendations? I sent in my email request.

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
Re: Going to try to order one for Central California
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 03:18:35 PM »
Basic setup would be either the H-field or E-field amplifier plus the controller; many are running both (my E-field kit should be arriving later this week).  All other components can be sourced in the U.S. and anything you need to order will most likely arrive before the kit components.  As far as the antenna goes it's up to you, the ferrites do make for a nice compact installation. 
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 03:38:58 PM »
Greg, are you moving to get a faster internet speed? You don't have to go that far....

Seriously, shoot the wad... go combo E and H... might as well go in with full data capability as they gradually bring stroke parameters online through the server...

Most convenient way is to order the complete kit, less power supply, shielded CAT5/6 cables and/or coax, and the antennas, which can be built, or somebody can make for you. And you don't have to chase all over for some of the more hard to obtain parts.  I'm lazy.

Mike

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 07:03:06 PM »
What are the current buying recommendations? I sent in my email request.

Hi Chris,

Take a look at the following link in the WXFORUM.
You should be receiving a response to your inquiry that is similar. As has already been mentioned, some of the items can be ordered from US vendors which will save you quite a bit in shipping costs. If you go for the whole enchilada (Controller, H-field kit and E-field kit - highly recommended) that would be options C, H, & E to be ordered from Egon). The remaining parts & components can be purchased on-line. You would need the following items to give you a complete system:
  • D: STM32F4DISCOVERY board - get from Mouser
  • F: Loop or Ferrite antenna - roll your own, it's easy.
  • G: External GPS antenna w/SMA connector - many available on-line
  • 5-volt pwr supply - the PowerStream unit is recommended.
  • Misc components, RG-6 coax, Shielded TWP Ethernet cables, etc
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 07:05:34 PM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 07:30:45 PM »
Greg, are you moving to get a faster internet speed? You don't have to go that far....

Seriously, shoot the wad... go combo E and H... might as well go in with full data capability as they gradually bring stroke parameters online through the server...

Most convenient way is to order the complete kit, less power supply, shielded CAT5/6 cables and/or coax, and the antennas, which can be built, or somebody can make for you. And you don't have to chase all over for some of the more hard to obtain parts.  I'm lazy.

Mike
BOY... have I gone brain-dead... confusing SLOWmodem with SLOWeather...  Sorry, Chris, ... Sorry, Greg...  :oops:  ](*,)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 08:16:27 PM »
Mike - you could always edit your post and then no-one will ever know...  :twisted:
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849