Author Topic: New station on-line, but noise issue  (Read 1169 times)

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
New station on-line, but noise issue
« on: March 13, 2014, 09:26:14 PM »
Jim in Mauston, WI received the station I built and has it on-line. However, he is seeing a severe noise issue that is driving his station into periodic interference mode and otherwise severely reducing the auto-adjusted amp gains. I've attached a picture of the noise.

The pulses are continuous and vary somewhat in frequency between 10 KHz and 12 KHz or so. The noise signals from both channels are always perfectly in-phase. Only the amplitudes vary as the amps readjust their gain due to the auto-adjust algorithm. The noise remains constant regardless of station location in the house or antenna orientation. Lightning waveforms that make it through the noise and low gain look perfectly normal.

My bet is on a noisy 5v power supply used to power the system. Any other thoughts?

Thanks and regards,

Don
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:44:55 PM by dfroula »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: New station on-line, but noise issue
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 10:09:26 PM »
One thing you could try is making a steel shield for each antenna. I used a 1 1/4" (double check this diameter) steel pipe section with a cap that was just long enough to cover the antenna. With the pipe shields in place, it will tell you whether the noise is referred to the antennas, or is back-way (via power, grounding, etc). If the noise disappears with the antennas shielded, then the rest of the system is OK and it really is getting into the antennas alone. Of course, this is just a test. It eliminates the desired lightning signal along with the noise.

I found that my noise floor on my 6.8USB system was quite good and all the noise was being picked up by the antennas.

It might help isolate the problem.

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 10:22:18 PM »
Good idea!

The ferrites are already in shielded tubes using aluminum tape with a narrow longitudinal gap. Perhaps wrapping some aluminum foil temporarily around the tubes, bridging the gap, would achieve the same thing.

The station hardware was outperforming my own station here in Chicago, so the basic hardware should be fine. Jim's using a locally obtained power supply.

Don

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:40:03 PM »
Good idea!

The ferrites are already in shielded tubes using aluminum tape with a narrow longitudinal gap. Perhaps wrapping some aluminum foil temporarily around the tubes, bridging the gap, would achieve the same thing.

The station hardware was outperforming my own station here in Chicago, so the basic hardware should be fine. Jim's using a locally obtained power supply.

Don
The aluminum won't block the near E-field...  That noise may also be from a computer... 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:43:17 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 12:07:27 AM »
Is he using a different 5v power source than what you used when you built the system? Could be a bad ground too. Is his antenna and amplifier located away from the controller board and especially away from any computers he may have. Any electric fences around his area?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 12:09:10 AM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 05:09:53 AM »
Good idea!

Don

Don,

It needs to be ferrous material. As Cutty said, it will only block the e-field. It will also create a shorted turn, leaving only leakage inductance.

If he can't do the pipes, maybe some soup cans with both ends cut off (will they fit :?:) and placed end-to-end might work. They are steel (still?) I think. The pipe nipple and cap was just a matter of a run to Home Depot and a few bucks...

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 06:33:05 AM »
Good idea!

Don

Don,

It needs to be ferrous material. As Cutty said, it will only block the e-field. It will also create a shorted turn, leaving only leakage inductance.

If he can't do the pipes, maybe some soup cans with both ends cut off (will they fit :?:) and placed end-to-end might work. They are steel (still?) I think. The pipe nipple and cap was just a matter of a run to Home Depot and a few bucks...

Greg

Thanks for the tact, Greg.. my post should have read 'H-field'...  :oops:  ...one of those days...
He might also try the 'AM radio' trick...

Mike

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 09:53:26 AM »
Yep, that makes sense. Had a brain fade on that for a moment.

Thanks for clarifying!

Don

Good idea!

Don

Don,

Greg

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 10:38:28 AM »
Yep, that makes sense. Had a brain fade on that for a moment.

Thanks for clarifying!

Sigh... . I wish my brain fades were momentary...

Offline jmcmurry

• Jim McMurry
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless.
    • Juneau County Weather
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 02:51:51 PM »
Swapping out the power supply didn't help, but grounding the controller ended up fixing the problem.  Now the system is performing great!  Thanks Don for getting me up and running on the network.   =D>

- Jim

Forum Search and Google Can be Your Best Friends

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 09:05:12 PM »
Thank goodness the Alien Factor didn't need to be invoked.

Great job on the station.  Those nasty lightning strikes will be here soon.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

anything