Author Topic: New Member with WLL question  (Read 936 times)

Offline BrettCook

New Member with WLL question
« on: April 03, 2022, 12:48:03 PM »
Hi;
I found this forum while searching for help with my Weatherlink Live receiver.
I thought I'd see if someone in this group may be able to help me figure out why it stopped reporting data from the ISS.
I have had a Davis VP2 with WLL setup since Dec '21. It's been working fine, until yesterday, when I decided to move my WiFi router. The WLL was of course connected wirelessly.
After moving the router, I noticed that the data reported online was not up to date.
The console still gets data, so I know the ISS is transmitting.
I moved the WLL receiver closer to the ISS, and connected it via ethernet to my router to remove any question of WiFi connectivity. I was able to connect via BT to the WLL receiver and get it online. But, there is still no data reporting.
The device was offline again this morning. I was able to connect again via BT, and get it online.
I've double-checked the device settings, and ID. The ISS, console and WLL all are set to ID1.
I've powered off the WLL to attempt to reset it, and was able to get it online again. It still doesn't report any data. The last update was a day ago.
Any ideas what I else can check?
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
Re: New Member with WLL question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 07:17:11 PM »
Have you tried moving it closer to the ISS then restarting the WLL by removing power and batteries? Thats about as much as i can think of as youve tried everything else i didnt know of, there is a good few users on here and a distributer here in UK the that will help but it may be quicker to give Davis a call.
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline BrettCook

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 08:00:02 PM »
Yes, I moved it closer in my house, and connected via ethernet.
The RSSI reads -82dB, but I don’t know if that value is current or was from the last time the WLL updated data.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 01:42:33 AM »
Yes, I moved it closer in my house, and connected via ethernet.
The RSSI reads -82dB, but I don’t know if that value is current or was from the last time the WLL updated data.

-82db isnt normally a good RSSI, if my ring doorbell was that low it wouldnt work, its actually quite high at -40 i think it was last i looked so works great, my WLL is at -61 and that too works great. You maybe getting some interference from somewhere.
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline BrettCook

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 10:08:34 AM »
The manual says it should be higher than -90, which it was. But, I agree -82 is fairly weak.
I moved it again and got it to connect finally. RSSI is now -75.
I think their value of -90 is a bit aspirational.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 10:41:16 AM »
If we're talking about ISS transmitter reception then personally I like to see -85 as a minimum, though typically -90 would be OK. The issue with -90 is that there's not much 'safety margin' then, so if RSSI fluctuates a bit, as it's bound to do with eg transmitter power for instance overnight if the battery is getting down) or heavy rain, then some dropout is more likely.

WiFi RSSI is a somewhat different matter. The Davis minimum benchmark still seems to be -90 but the WiFi is obviously a different wireless system to the 900MHz ISS transmissions so RSSI considerations may be a bit different for WiFi.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline BrettCook

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 10:48:25 AM »
I was referring to the ISS RSSI.
I connected the WLL unit directly to my WiFi router to eliminate WiFi signal strength as a possibility.

Offline Pedr057

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 04:08:08 AM »
I have a similar problem. I have a Pro2 wireless ISS that's communicating fine with the console but not with the WLL. The WLL apps suddenly stopped receiving data last night. I get a flashing blue light that eventually goes out. I've tried re-sating the ethernet connect, using a different connection, putting the WLL close to the console, nearer to the ISS, deleting the app and re-installing it, removing power and batteries from WLL. Nothing seems to make any difference.

Anyone know how to do a complete re-set from scratch and re-install on the iphone? Failing that, how do I switch off ethernet and choose wifi instead? I must be missing a set up screen somewhere.

I've submitted a ticket to Davis Support but haven't found them much use when I first bought the ISS and had issues setting it up.

One last question that may seem basic to some - does the ISS communicate directly with the WLL or does it communicate via the console?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 06:24:57 AM »
Comms from the WLL / Console and ISS are independent, WLL and Console have no reliance on each other

Offline Pedr057

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 06:30:43 AM »
I found a partial work around. I have the Weatherlink 6.0.5 software on my desktop PC that's connected to the logger/consule. It's possible to set it up to transfer the data to Weatherlink.com, then use a browser instead of a mobile/tablet app to view the data  when remote from the desktop PC. This being so, I think the WLL is almost redundant.

I also draw up something showing how all the components join up (and sent it to the Weathershop) - it would've been very useful for an novice like me when trying to figure out what I needed and how they interact.[img] [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 07:19:22 AM »
I found a partial work around. I have the Weatherlink 6.0.5 software on my desktop PC that's connected to the logger/consule. It's possible to set it up to transfer the data to Weatherlink.com, then use a browser instead of a mobile/tablet app to view the data  when remote from the desktop PC. This being so, I think the WLL is almost redundant.

Not sure that I totally understand. Using WL605 to upload to wl.com is an alternative to uploads via WLL (or eg WeatherlinkIP or compatible loggers such WFL/MPE/Meteobridge) and is a standard option. What that won't give you is access to fully live data (ie 2.5sec wind/rain updates) on the local network that WLL provides to iOS or Android apps (but not to the browser app). I suspect some network issue with WLL unit. A complete power-off reboot would have been a good idea. But a key question was whether you can see data from the WLL unit in the wl.com browser app?

NB Davis support are swamped at present. Pretty sure you will get a reply but turnaround times are typically 5-7 days currently.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2022, 04:34:41 PM »
Calling Davis telephone support is your best solution. It appears you live in the US so take advantage of Davis’ US-based telephone support team—if you live outside the US, that probably isn’t a practical solution—you have to rely on email and it takes awhile (several days or more) for them to respond, but I understand, they eventually will.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 07:57:42 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2022, 04:53:54 PM »
just a tip, I always found making sure that one of the large flat sides of the WLL is facing the ISS gives better signal reception.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •