Author Topic: 6152 wireless soil sensor  (Read 999 times)

Offline yamiacaveman

• Forecaster
    • Penn Lake Weather
6152 wireless soil sensor
« on: July 20, 2021, 11:05:08 AM »
For a Davis 6152 wireless, can I just add a soil sensor to the ISS or do I need other stuff, like it's own transmitter?

Offline yamiacaveman

• Forecaster
    • Penn Lake Weather
Re: 6152 wireless soil sensor
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 11:11:02 AM »
I believe my old Davis Vantage Pro 2 has slots that I can just wire the sensor to, but to check that out I have to dig up a ladder and climb up 25ft, lol, so if anyone knows offhand I would certainly appreciate the info.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 11:15:36 AM »
No, you must get a 6345 transmitter in order to add one (of up to four) soil moisture sensors and run this on a different wireless channel. These sensors cannot attach to an ISS.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline yamiacaveman

• Forecaster
    • Penn Lake Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 11:46:12 AM »
Thanks Johnd!  And thanks for saving me a trip up the ladder, starting to get to old for this stuff. lol, again thanks.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 10:23:16 AM »
For a Davis 6152 wireless, can I just add a soil sensor to the ISS or do I need other stuff, like it's own transmitter?

For soil moisture measuring it is needed:
- 6345 transmitter
- soil sensor
- temperature probe, which is used for soil sensor temperature compensation

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 11:00:31 AM »

- 6345 transmitter
- soil sensor

My understanding is that the soil temperature sensor is advisable but not essential. The soil moisture reading needs temperature correction for optimum results. If there's no temperature sensor paired with the moisture probe then the console will default to using the main ISS outside temperature reading for correction, but obviously this may often not be a good substitute for the actual soil temperature.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 11:34:53 AM »

- 6345 transmitter
- soil sensor

My understanding is that the soil temperature sensor is advisable but not essential. The soil moisture reading needs temperature correction for optimum results. If there's no temperature sensor paired with the moisture probe then the console will default to using the main ISS outside temperature reading for correction, but obviously this may often not be a good substitute for the actual soil temperature.

I do not have at the moment archive readings of soil moisture sensor without temperature correction, but please believe me, the readings are fluctuating and are not readable.
In my opinion there is no sense to mount soil moisture sensor without paired temperature probe.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 12:15:35 PM »
Is this a newly set up moisture sensor? They're not the easiest things to set up and proper pre-soaking is essential for consistent readings. Quite a few users do use these moisture sensors without a paired temp sensor and seem content with the results, but possibly they are not very critical users?

TBH the Irrometer moisture sensors (which unfortunately are the only ones compatible with a VP2) are often not the best option. Other types like those made by Sentek or Decagon (or whatever they are called now - Metergroup is it?) or several other makers that are compatible with Davis EM stations give good results more easily (accurate, easy set-up, rapid response) than the Irrometer Watermark gypsum block ones. It's one of the several reasons that eg agriculture users now prefer a Davis EM to a standard VP2 station, though of course an EM still typically uses a VP2 ISS for its standard weather sensors, as opposed to eg soil etc sensors.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline dorsetbred

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 10:43:22 AM »
Is this a newly set up moisture sensor? They're not the easiest things to set up and proper pre-soaking is essential for consistent readings. Quite a few users do use these moisture sensors without a paired temp sensor and seem content with the results, but possibly they are not very critical users?

TBH the Irrometer moisture sensors (which unfortunately are the only ones compatible with a VP2) are often not the best option.

John, reading your comment with interest, I am trying to add a soil temperature sensor and a soil moisture sensor, and I ws wondering about the "pairing" point as I've never seen that before. Do I need to consider anything or do anything for this?
I am trying to figure out how to add them on the console, as right now they are reading.
Many Thanks
Db