Author Topic: Froggit WH3000SE Wi-Fi weather station - Help needed with time setting.  (Read 3264 times)

Offline The Weatherman

• This is me
I have recently purchased the Froggit WH3000SE Wi-Fi weather station. I am very pleased with it so far.

Always a BUT....

The time which i assume is being pulled from a server somewhere, is currently one hour behind. There is a small DST icon. Which i assume is Europes Daylight Saving Time. In the UK we call this BST - British Summer Time.

Either way the time is preset to one hour behind - Even if I manually change this in settings - It re-polls the time server and drops back an hour.

I have seen in an online manual that there (was) an option to turn off the DST - But my firmware version doesn't seem to have this??

I have been in touch with the supplier, but so far had no replies..

Any thoughts, experiences or solutions would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Ian D -
The Weatherman
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 04:37:10 AM by The Weatherman »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Froggit WH3000SE Wi-Fi weather station - Help needed with time setting.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 07:54:29 AM »
Press and hold SET button to enter settings.
Let go of SET button (the first item flashes).
Then tap SET to advance through all the settings.
Stop at the one that says DST on (probably okay to leave on).
The next one is ZON which is time zone...be sure this is correct for you 0.
Press LIGHT/SNOOZE to exit settings mode.

I think you just have the wrong time zone set.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline The Weatherman

• This is me
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 07:59:07 AM »
Hi thank you for taking the time to reply.
This is the challenge. My setup doesnt have DST or time zone options. It skips straight to time setup.
Which i can set. But it then polls the time server and pulls it back an hour again

Hmmm.

I have seen two PDF manuals - my printed manual doesnt mention DST or timezones. The online Manual found on the Froggit site suggests the same as you have suggested.

Firmware bug maybe. But i dont know how to manually change firmware. It seems to be automatic updates.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 08:03:45 AM »
So your display settings jumps from Hi:Lo Reset to Time?

Firmware update is not automatic.
Run WS View mobile app and check for firmware update.
Tele-Pole

Offline The Weatherman

• This is me
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 09:40:48 AM »
Hi again

Thats exactly it.. it jumps to Time from LI/LOW - no sign of DST or time zone settings

I have been using the WS view app. But i cant see any mention or access to firmware information.
Just uploading instructions for the various weather portals

I am usually good with these things tbh. But this one has got me stumped for sure.
I do appreciate your support.

Many thanks

ID

Offline The Weatherman

• This is me
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 09:52:25 AM »
So WS View doesn't show firmware version. It just lists the device.

I downloaded and tried WS tool. That shows upgrade firmware in blue. (Current 1.4.2 - upgrade to 1.1.4) But i doesn't seem to do anything when selected - it just goes to upload options the same as WS VIEW..  #-o

Same goes for the AWNET app too.. Finds the device. But no Firmware upgrade shown. Only the WS Tool shows the upgrade listed. But again, no option to upgrade.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 10:04:20 AM by The Weatherman »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 10:44:00 AM »
Sounds like your only option is to contact Froggit and get them to fix this. If they are unresponsive then see about your options to return the station. If they won't accept the return then see about your options with your credit card company as many offer buyer protection on purchases. I think Froggit should resolve this matter for you within your return period. If not then escalate to credit card company. It is completely unacceptable for you to be experiencing this if you purchased through legitimate sources (ie. not eBay...unless it was Froggit themselves through eBay).

After you return my recommendation would be to purchase from Ecowitt and you will have a great customer service experience. The Ecowitt WH2910C is the same system. But if you can budget for the WH2551 instead that would be better.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 10:45:50 AM »
By the way the only app you need for Froggit or Ecowitt is the WS View app. The other apps you mentioned are only for Ambient branded versions.
Tele-Pole

Offline The Weatherman

• This is me
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 01:35:53 PM »
Small but not much of an update
Froggit DE's response has so far been to do what I cannot do and what I have specifically asked how to overcome.
I cannot get to the DST or Timezone options in the firmware that is installed on the console and cannot find a way to update or roll-back the firmware.  The result is an incorrect station time that i cannot change or override.

Galfert has been extremely helpful and obviously knows his onions, so i do thank you for your input.

I guess I might be getting into return phase, which is of course a pain in the proverbial.

See video
[youtube]https://youtu.be/vDj0gDP-11w[/youtube]

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 02:11:16 PM »
Firmware on this device can only go forwards. And it can only do so when the app presents the opportunity.

One last thing to try would be a factory reset to see if it fixes the problem.

Factory Reset procedure:
https://ambientweather.net/help/how-do-i-restore-console-to-factory-default-osprey-series/
Tele-Pole

Offline danidelgado

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 05:31:24 AM »
Hi The Weatherman

I'm having the same issue. did you have info to solve the issue?

Thanks

Offline casacota

• Observatori de Sant Martí de Canals
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 06:17:14 AM »
If you can connect to ecowitt.net you can adjust the time settings on that website.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 08:32:06 AM »
Hi The Weatherman

I'm having the same issue. did you have info to solve the issue?

I don't think this issue has a resolution unless a firmware update were to come out. My advice is to return the item and get a different brand or model as I stated above.

If you can connect to ecowitt.net you can adjust the time settings on that website.

This issue has nothing to do with the data that shows up online at Ecowitt.net. This is an issue with the time on the display console. Settings on Ecowitt.net do not affect what you see on the display console.
Tele-Pole

Offline casacota

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2020, 05:53:15 PM »
This issue has nothing to do with the data that shows up online at Ecowitt.net. This is an issue with the time on the display console. Settings on Ecowitt.net do not affect what you see on the display console.

I'm sorry, but I see that if I change that setting on ecowitt.net, after a few seconds the display on the console changes accordingly without touching it. Maybe only if you have the latest console firmware.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2020, 06:31:45 PM »

I'm sorry, but I see that if I change that setting on ecowitt.net, after a few seconds the display on the console changes accordingly without touching it. Maybe only if you have the latest console firmware.

Well that is rather interesting. I'm trying to wrap my head around what you are saying I just don't see how this would work.

First I don't have an Ecowitt console so I can't test your claim. I have an Ambient WS-2000. I only upload data to Ecowitt.net via my Ecowitt GW1000.

But I'm trying to understand how what you are saying would work from what I know of the Ecowitt protocol. The GW1000 or HP2551 or other Fine Offset clone will upload to Ecowitt.net with a json HTTP POST upload. I didn't think this upload method could be used in getting any settings back from the online service.
Tele-Pole

Offline casacota

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2020, 08:29:56 PM »

Well that is rather interesting. I'm trying to wrap my head around what you are saying I just don't see how this would work.

First I don't have an Ecowitt console so I can't test your claim. I have an Ambient WS-2000. I only upload data to Ecowitt.net via my Ecowitt GW1000.

But I'm trying to understand how what you are saying would work from what I know of the Ecowitt protocol. The GW1000 or HP2551 or other Fine Offset clone will upload to Ecowitt.net with a json HTTP POST upload. I didn't think this upload method could be used in getting any settings back from the online service.

One thing is the upload protocol, but it seems that the console independently from the upload does make requests to ecowitt to retrieve the time and set the clock. This works also if no upload is scheduled or configured!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2020, 09:39:23 PM »
Setting the clock time synchronization is a different matter. Most Internet connected devices synchronize the clock with Internet time servers. These are called NTP servers (Network Time Protocol). A device that is connected to the Internet will always have the correct time if it is talking to a correctly running NTP server, but usually that is for the minutes and seconds....as the time zone set in the device is respected....meaning an NTP server does not send you the hour...it is just sending you what the minutes and seconds is suppose to be at the moment.

NTP and its minute/second synchronization is not the issue with the OP. The issue with the OP is that the time zone or rather the hour is the incorrect part that can not be properly selected.

In the case of our Fine Offset stations I don't know what NTP server they are using but typically devices use one of the following NTP servers. Therefore this time sync data is not coming from Ecowitt.net.

Popular NTP servers:
time.nist.gov
pool.ntp.org
time.windows.com

More comprehensive list of NTP servers:
https://gist.github.com/mutin-sa/eea1c396b1e610a2da1e5550d94b0453
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 09:50:39 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline casacota

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2020, 03:01:11 AM »
Setting the clock time synchronization is a different matter. Most Internet connected devices synchronize the clock with Internet time servers. These are called NTP servers (Network Time Protocol). A device that is connected to the Internet will always have the correct time if it is talking to a correctly running NTP server, but usually that is for the minutes and seconds....as the time zone set in the device is respected....meaning an NTP server does not send you the hour...it is just sending you what the minutes and seconds is suppose to be at the moment.

NTP and its minute/second synchronization is not the issue with the OP. The issue with the OP is that the time zone or rather the hour is the incorrect part that can not be properly selected.

In the case of our Fine Offset stations I don't know what NTP server they are using but typically devices use one of the following NTP servers. Therefore this time sync data is not coming from Ecowitt.net.

Popular NTP servers:
time.nist.gov
pool.ntp.org
time.windows.com

More comprehensive list of NTP servers:
https://gist.github.com/mutin-sa/eea1c396b1e610a2da1e5550d94b0453

Well, time is one thing, and another is timezone and DST setting. This is obviously taken from ecowitt.net since the display changes accordingly to the setting you configure on the website. Eg. I like to run all my stations in UTC time without DST, so no problem, see here: https://www.ecowitt.net/home/index?id=11244

Also, this behavior is described on the station user manual:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2020, 03:59:21 AM »
Okay then. Sounds neat.  [tup]
Thank you for your clarification and insight into this.
Tele-Pole

Offline joem

Hi everyone.
I have a similar weather station as the OP, but built and sold in AUS/NZ.
There's no option of setting up a timezone NOR DST.

I'm struggling setting up this device with weewx with the help the weewx-interceptor (observer).
My problem is that at the top of the hour, the device is reporting once the wrong time. The one timestamp is LT + 12 = UTC + 24. LT in my case is NZST.
At that moment, weewx creeps out and starts acting weird. Data is skipped, not analyzed, not saved in the database, etc.

Here's an example of the captured data via interceptor.py. The problem is the row containing 1592942400.

Code: [Select]
mapped packet: {'dateTime': 1592902763, 'usUnits': 1, 'pressure': 30.287, 'outHumidity': 98.0, 'inHumidity': 42.0, 'outTemp': 41.2, 'inTemp': 68.9, 'windSpeed': 0.0, 'windGust': 0.0, 'windDir': 126.0, 'rad                                                                         iation': 0.0, 'rain': 0.0, 'UV': 0.0}
mapped packet: {'dateTime': 1592902763, 'usUnits': 1, 'pressure': 30.284, 'barometer': 30.245, 'outHumidity': 98.0, 'inHumidity': 42.0, 'outTemp': 41.2, 'inTemp': 68.7, 'windSpeed': 0.0, 'windGust': 0.0, '                                                                         windDir': 126.0, 'radiation': 0.0, 'dewpoint': 40.6, 'windchill': 41.2, 'rain': 0.0, 'UV': 0.0}
mapped packet: {'dateTime': 1592902763, 'usUnits': 1, 'pressure': 30.284, 'barometer': 30.245, 'outHumidity': 98.0, 'inHumidity': 42.0, 'outTemp': 41.2, 'inTemp': 68.7, 'windSpeed': 0.0, 'windGust': 0.0, '                                                                         windDir': 128.0, 'radiation': 0.0, 'dewpoint': 40.6, 'windchill': 41.2, 'rain': 0.0, 'UV': 0.0}
mapped packet: {'dateTime': 1592942400, 'usUnits': 1, 'pressure': 30.284, 'barometer': 30.245, 'outHumidity': 98.0, 'inHumidity': 42.0, 'outTemp': 41.2, 'inTemp': 68.7, 'windSpeed': 0.0, 'windGust': 0.0, '                                                                         windDir': 128.0, 'radiation': 0.0, 'dewpoint': 40.6, 'windchill': 41.2, 'rain': 0.0, 'UV': 0.0}
mapped packet: {'dateTime': 1592902835, 'usUnits': 16}
mapped packet: {'dateTime': 1592902823, 'usUnits': 1, 'pressure': 30.284, 'barometer': 30.245, 'outHumidity': 98.0, 'inHumidity': 42.0, 'outTemp': 41.0, 'inTemp': 68.7, 'windSpeed': 0.0, 'windGust': 0.0, '                                                                         windDir': 126.0, 'radiation': 0.0, 'dewpoint': 40.5, 'windchill': 41.0, 'rain': 0.0, 'UV': 0.0}
mapped packet: {'dateTime': 1592902823, 'usUnits': 1, 'pressure': 30.284, 'barometer': 30.245, 'outHumidity': 98.0, 'inHumidity': 42.0, 'outTemp': 41.0, 'inTemp': 68.7, 'windSpeed': 0.0, 'windGust': 0.0, '   

Did anyone had such an issue, is there a workaround?

I don't want to highjack this thread, if anyone thinks that my message is in the wrong place, please let me know and I'll start a new thread.

Thanks

Offline Schni

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2021, 02:49:41 AM »
For the record:

My issue was, that the device and other sites had the correct time, but ecowitt showed it an hour early.
Went to ecowitt.net/manage/index on Chrome on Windows and checked "Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes"

Offline Gyvate

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2021, 03:42:01 PM »
@joem:
we have a weewx board in the forum where I would suggest to post your issue:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=119.0

But I'm wondering how a Froggit WH3000SE = Ecowitt WH2910 would be built in AUS/NZ ... :shock:
Sold I would understand ...
All Ecowitt/Fine Offset (clone) consoles and sensors are built in China by Fine Offset.
They may be rebranded, sure ... and sold all over the globe.
WS2350 1.6.7, GW1000(3) 1.7.7,WH2650 WiFi (2) 1.7.7 (test/backup), GW1100 2.3.1, GW2000(3) 3.1.1, HP2551 1.9.5,5.1.5;HP3500 1.7.2,WS3800 1.2.8, WN1910 1.2.3,WN1980 1.2.3;
Ecowitt WS90(2)1.3.5/1.4.0, WS80(2)1.2.5, WS68, WS69, WH40, WH31, WH31-EP, WN30, WN34L, WN35, WH32, WH32-EP, WH32B, WH57 [Lightning], WH41 [PM2.5], WH51, WH45, WH55
MeteobridgePro(2)[test,prod] 5.8 Mar 01 2024, 15185 - Blake-Larsen Sun Recorder - RPi4/weewx 4.8.0/4.10.2/CumulusMX 3283/Meteobridge RPi4B-2GB(3169)
Barani Meteoshield Pro, MetSpec Rad02 - Ecowitt 5763,34418;WU ISAARB3(WH4000SE),ISAARB22(HP2553), http://meshka.eu

Offline joem

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2021, 04:17:47 PM »
I didn't notice that there was a setting on ecowitt.net, I was looking for such a setting in the app and the device itself. I did the change on the website one day ago, so now I'm following the reports to see if there are any random dropouts.

@Gyvate, my bad, built in China, sold in AUS/NZ.
Thanks for pointing me towards that subforum, I'll post there if the dropouts continue.

anything