Author Topic: Goofy Humidity Readings from my Vantage Pro2  (Read 387 times)

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
Goofy Humidity Readings from my Vantage Pro2
« on: June 25, 2020, 02:04:27 PM »
I have the Davis Vantage Pro2 ISS with 24 hour Aspirated Fan and Radiation Shield (model 6323).  I've had it since 10/2017. 
Yesterday, I noticed that my humidity reading was WAY off compared to readings from other stations.  I'm still using the Vantage Vue console so I checked how to calibrate the humidity -- which as you know is used to compute the Dew Point.  I made the adjustment (which was huge), but today things still seem very much out of sync.

Do I need to replace the sensor?  I took the unit apart for cleaning and saw that the sensor is pretty deep inside.  It did not look corroded or damaged -- but that's no indication that it's functioning properly.

Is this a common issue after a few years of use?

Thanks,
-gene
Geno

Davis 6323 Wireless Vantage Pro2 ISS
with 24-Hr Fan Aspirated Radiation Shield and Aerocone
VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Goofy Humidity Readings from my Vantage Pro2
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 03:58:55 PM »
I have the Davis Vantage Pro2 ISS with 24 hour Aspirated Fan and Radiation Shield (model 6323).  I've had it since 10/2017. 
Yesterday, I noticed that my humidity reading was WAY off compared to readings from other stations.  I'm still using the Vantage Vue console so I checked how to calibrate the humidity -- which as you know is used to compute the Dew Point.  I made the adjustment (which was huge), but today things still seem very much out of sync.

Do I need to replace the sensor?  I took the unit apart for cleaning and saw that the sensor is pretty deep inside.  It did not look corroded or damaged -- but that's no indication that it's functioning properly.

Is this a common issue after a few years of use?

Thanks,
-gene
Is it common? Not really, but that said it is probably bad. It is super easy to replace, merely pull the fan and cone thingy out and slide the sensor out and reverse the procedure. Good place to buy is here...matter of fact, I have one sitting in my mail box as we speak I gotta go fetch.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/parts/vantage-pro2-parts/temperature-and-humidity-sensor-parts/davis-7346-070-pro2-digital-temperature-humidity-sensor-sensiron-sht31/

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
Re: Goofy Humidity Readings from my Vantage Pro2
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 06:37:41 PM »
Contacted Ryan at Scaled Instruments -- same place I bought my station.  Very helpful and confirmed that it is most likely a bad sensor.  I'm checking with Davis now to see what they can offer since the set up is only a few years old.
Geno

Davis 6323 Wireless Vantage Pro2 ISS
with 24-Hr Fan Aspirated Radiation Shield and Aerocone
VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

anything