Author Topic: Davis Vue only half-responsive?  (Read 317 times)

Offline JustLookinAround

Davis Vue only half-responsive?
« on: June 22, 2020, 06:02:52 PM »
Hi all.
About a year ago I bought a brand new Davis Vantage Vue, after having a much cheaper Chinese weather station for a few years. It has been working just great since then without any issues, that is until now.
Last week we had a thunderstorm nearby (and it's not the first time the station goes through one either...), and since one of those lightning bolts struck nearby (not the station, about 400 metres away from my property), the Davis' temperature and humidity sensors stopped getting any kind of readings, and the wind speed got stuck at zero. The only thing that works is the wind direction, the wind speed is stuck at zero, doesn't even show dashes. I mention the thunderstorm because I think it's related, but it may not even be, we've had many more since I've had the station.

I have tried changing channels, I've even tried letting it sit inside and without batteries for about 3 days to see if all the caps discharged, still nothing. What puzzles me is that somehow it still remembers my channel choice from 3 days ago - is that because I should let it sit for longer or?

I'm obviously going to ship it back to my supplier as it's still under warranty, but from what I searched around here and on the Internet, this seems almost unheard of with non-cabled stations! There are also absolutely no CRC errors or whatever in the diagnostics screens.

Wondering if there's any other possible solution or if shipping it back is my only choice...
Thanks.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Davis Vue only half-responsive?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 06:31:53 PM »
Wondering if there's any other possible solution or if shipping it back is my only choice...
Still under warranty? No brainer...send it back. Digging into a Vue ISS is not where you want to go, especially if you don't have to.

Offline ashland weather

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 08:08:56 AM »
Try shutting down the console. remove the batteries. could be a static charge from the storm. 

Offline JustLookinAround

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 11:27:39 AM »
I've had both console and ISS shut down for a couple days to no avail so...

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 03:47:34 PM »
Even if it is under warranty, I don't think the seller or Davis would replace it free of charge. It was a natural phenomena that may have fried it. I'd contact Davis directly, see if they still have the complete refurbish deal for $100 and send it in to get it fixed. But be prepared to wait, it took two months to get mine back because of this Coronavirus. Just my opinion.