Author Topic: Firmware 2.25 is ready to download  (Read 6534 times)

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Firmware 2.25 is ready to download
« on: September 28, 2019, 12:53:24 PM »
Firmware 2.25 is ready to download.

What is new:
- Function "Stay Alive" - PING gateway and Google server (8.8.8.8). Ping gateway every 3 minutes, Google every 60 minutes. If there is a problem with connection to the Internet then
  WiFiLogger will be rebooted.
- TCP connection has no more manual pause.
   - Pause - WiFiLogger internal software will be paused and console is free to use by connected PC software like WeatherLink PC, or Cumulus.
   - Pause with disconnection - WiFiLogger will close connection with PC software every 60 sec.. WFL will make all own exports in a queue and connection by PC software will be possible
     again. This option is proper to work with WeatherLink PC, because WL PC even if don't download any data from console, it can keep connection established, blocking WFL exports.
     Cumulus has own function for similar mechanism.

New custom export options PHP&MySQL. It is a full set of JSON files made to export all data from the console.
Set of files can be exported by:
- FTP
- MQTT
- HTTP PUT - HTTP PUT will work with PHP script and MySQL database, this is still in preparation.

Local access to JSON files:
http://WFL_IP/wflreg.json
http://WFL_IP/wflrtd.json
http://WFL_IP/wflhilow.json
http://WFL_IP/wflhilowex.json
http://WFL_IP/wfllastlog.json

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
Re: Firmware 2.25 is ready to download
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 03:56:16 AM »
I updated, it seems great. For the 'Stay alive' function I have selected only Google and not the gateway. Also selecting the gateway I fear that if you need to restart the modem, in the moment of lack of connection, the wifi logger will be uselessly restarted.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 04:16:03 AM »
I updated, it seems great. For the 'Stay alive' function I have selected only Google and not the gateway. Also selecting the gateway I fear that if you need to restart the modem, in the moment of lack of connection, the wifi logger will be uselessly restarted.

Some users wanted send ping every 1 minute to Google. I don't want to spread to many useless packets.
It is working like this:
Every 3 minutes ping is being send to router. If there will be no success, then Google counter will reduce to 1 minutes. Then after 1 minute from failed router ping there will be ping to Google.
This was to easy. WiFiLogger will reboot after 3 failed pings to Google. This means it will take 4 minutes to reboot WiFiLogger. It will contains one failed ping to router and 3 failed ping to Google with 1 min. interval. Ping to router is woking when WiFiLogger is running minimum 15 minutes from power on. This is for setup reason.

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 04:36:24 AM »
Fantastic!!!! Then I put google + gateway !!!

thanks a lot

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 03:45:49 AM »
I have a question. With 2.25, the output power of the wifi is the same ??? I seem to notice that the wifi is weaker. In my case I have no problems, as the modem is unlocked and works at full power. Are there any feedback or is it just my feeling?

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 05:49:56 AM »
Wojciech, I have installed version 2.25 without any issue.

Unfortunatey, there are a few (ie: many) questions that are remaining unanswered - I am somewhat a bit (a lot!) confused with the new options and their purpose/usefulness.

When I start the WiFiLogger GUI interface, it displays 'Pause: auto' in large black characters on a pinkish background. What does that really mean? Can the pause (and the 'space taking' message) not be deactivated anymore? Does the 'Pause: auto' message needs to be continuously display (I find it annoying and taking too much space)?

What would happen if I set the 'TCP Port' setting (on the 'System' setup screen) to the 'Disable' option? Does that mean that data will not be available to the software accessing the assigned TCP Port (such as, for example, prevent Weather Display from accessing the data from TCP Port 22222)?

You wrote that if the 'Pause' option (for the 'TCP Port' setting) is selected, the "WiFiLogger internal software will be paused and console is free to use by connected PC software like WeatherLink PC, or Cumulus" - what exactly in the WiFiLogger is paused? Does that mean that the WiFiLogger stops sending its data to whatever services have been setup in the 'Data Export Setup' screen? I guess the 'Pause' option (for the 'TCP Port' setting) is the setting needed for the Weather Display software as Weather Display can fetch the data directly from the logger (be it the Davis Instruments WeatherLink IP/Serial/USB Data Logger or the WiFiLogger or any other data loggers)?

What kind of data is being saved in the JSON files, such as 'wflreg.json', 'wflrtd.json', 'wflhilow.json', 'wflhilowex.json', and 'wfllastlog.json' - the abbreviated names do not mean/say very much about their contents?

In the 'Custom Export Setup' screen, what information is needed for the 'HTTP -> PHP -> MySQL export settings', what should be entered for the 'Your Server' option?

It seems that this setting might/will be used to save the data to a database - then, other than the host server IP address, the port number as well as the name of the database as well as the user name and password are needed to write any data to a database.

I know, I know, I am asking a lot of questions ... but my 72 year old brain needs clear answers in order to make sense of all this new information...  :oops:
R_o_B
---
eMail: weather@herray.net

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 11:37:26 AM »
Wojciech, could you please, PLEASE, make firmware version 2.24 available on the WiFiLogger web site - I really really do not like the behavior of firmware version 2.25.

As I wrote in the previous message, I do not like to have the 'Pause: auto' overly large message displayed on the 'Real Time Data' screen. I prefer to have the data (and only the weather data) on the 'Real Time Data' screen (as well as the clock) to be continuously updated - I have the 'Real Time Data' permanently displayed on one of my computer screen.
R_o_B
---

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 11:44:26 AM »
Wojciech, could you please, PLEASE, make firmware version 2.24 available on the WiFiLogger web site - I really really do not like the behavior of firmware version 2.25.

As I wrote in the previous message, I do not like to have the 'Pause: auto' overly large message displayed on the 'Real Time Data' screen. I prefer to have the data (and only the weather data) on the 'Real Time Data' screen (as well as the clock) to be continuously updated - I have the 'Real Time Data' permanently displayed on one of my computer screen.

I would prefer not to publish firmware 2.24, because it can damage WiFiLoggers with version 1.xx. I will just send you 2.24 on priv. I will have answers for your questions from yesterday in short while.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 12:14:59 PM »
When I start the WiFiLogger GUI interface, it displays 'Pause: auto' in large black characters on a pinkish background. What does that really mean? Can the pause (and the 'space taking' message) not be deactivated anymore? Does the 'Pause: auto' message needs to be continuously display (I find it annoying and taking too much space)?

Auto Pause means that WiFiLogger access to the console is freezed. Some PC software takes control over console. You know that there can be only on connection to the console. WiFiLogger is one connection, Cumulus/Weather Display/Weatherlink is second. WiFiLogger exports, or even data on Real Time Data page are paused/freezed/not working.

What would happen if I set the 'TCP Port' setting (on the 'System' setup screen) to the 'Disable' option? Does that mean that data will not be available to the software accessing the assigned TCP Port (such as, for example, prevent Weather Display from accessing the data from TCP Port 22222)?

Yes. You will disable connection by TCP port 22222. There will be no access by Weather Display.

You wrote that if the 'Pause' option (for the 'TCP Port' setting) is selected, the "WiFiLogger internal software will be paused and console is free to use by connected PC software like WeatherLink PC, or Cumulus" - what exactly in the WiFiLogger is paused? Does that mean that the WiFiLogger stops sending its data to whatever services have been setup in the 'Data Export Setup' screen? I guess the 'Pause' option (for the 'TCP Port' setting) is the setting needed for the Weather Display software as Weather Display can fetch the data directly from the logger (be it the Davis Instruments WeatherLink IP/Serial/USB Data Logger or the WiFiLogger or any other data loggers)?

Yes. WiFiLogger export functions are stopped to make clear path for access to the console by PC software.

What kind of data is being saved in the JSON files, such as 'wflreg.json', 'wflrtd.json', 'wflhilow.json', 'wflhilowex.json', and 'wfllastlog.json' - the abbreviated names do not mean/say very much about their contents?

This set of JSONs were made to export full info from the console, but there are different export reasons and different time, so data from console was splitted. JSON format was used, because it is very common and it is "organic" for any modern computer language.
wflreg.json - registration - console settings and WiFiLogger settings. This is exported once when WiFiLogger is rebooted.
wflrtd.json - Real Time Data/LOOP1&LOOP2 current weather it can be exported every 3 sec.
wflhilow.json - basic hilows data from console VP2 and VUE
wflhilowex.json - extended hilows leaf soil extra temp etc VP2 only
wfllastlog.json - last archive entry data. Weather data from data logger. Only the newest record.

In the 'Custom Export Setup' screen, what information is needed for the 'HTTP -> PHP -> MySQL export settings', what should be entered for the 'Your Server' option?

You have to have own server to use it. This is custom export. Export to MySQL is working fine. You need to have PHP script from me, or make own. The same with MySQL database settings. Using this feature you can make WL.COM alternative version with full history and RapidFire speed.
At the moment I have made only first part of this work. Second is to take out data from MySQL and display it in web browser.

It seems that this setting might/will be used to save the data to a database - then, other than the host server IP address, the port number as well as the name of the database as well as the user name and password are needed to write any data to a database.
If you have version 2.25 and you could go to SETUP|Network Info. There is a new item. WID - WiFiLogger ID. Unique identification for each WFL. This is MAC address changed to decimal number. This is the same like DID in WL.COM.

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 07:08:41 PM »

Auto Pause means that WiFiLogger access to the console is freezed. Some PC software takes control over console. You know that there can be only on connection to the console. WiFiLogger is one connection, Cumulus/Weather Display/Weatherlink is second. WiFiLogger exports, or even data on Real Time Data page are paused/freezed/not working.
Could you possibly (please) add a setting to completely disabled the 'Pause: auto' so that there is no pause whatsoever - I do not need any pauses. My Weather Display software has been using the 'realtime' data file that  is produced by the WiFiLogger every minutes (so no direct contact between the Weather Display software and the WiFiLogger). My weather34WD web pages and my Meteobridge (both) have been contacting the WiFiLogger through TCP port 22222 for months without any problem.

I do not understand the answer you have provided that "there can be only on connection to the console. WiFiLogger is one connection, Cumulus/Weather Display/Weatherlink is second". None of those software can communicate directly with the console - all those software have to go through a logger. So, when the software (Cumulus/Weather Display/WeatherLink) wants to download the data from the console, it has to make a request from the logger where the data is cache. Again, no software can communicate/talk directly with the Davis consoles (Vantage Pro or Vantage Vue). That is why Davis Instruments sell those over-priced IP/Serial/USB WeatherLink Data Loggers. That is why a console by itself is worthless - it can only display the weather data, it cannot download any weather data.
R_o_B
---

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 07:23:53 PM »

That is why Davis Instruments sell those over-priced IP/Serial/USB WeatherLink Data Loggers. That is why a console by itself is worthless - it can only display the weather data, it cannot download any weather data.
The console is certainly not worthless to those who don't want their data online. For that matter, I am online and still use three of them.

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 07:39:21 AM »
This firmware 2.25, for now, is working very well.
Yesterday I had my adsl down for about 18 hours, on the return of the adsl I found myself on WL.com all the data, even those of when I had no connection. I'm using the wifi logger with uploads on WL.com every 2 minutes, in case of internet shortage, how many hours or days can the wifi logger accumulate data with my update interval?
If the power goes out and the batteries run out too, do I lose all the configurations of my wifi logger?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 02:03:54 PM »
Yesterday I had my adsl down for about 18 hours, on the return of the adsl I found myself on WL.com all the data, even those of when I had no connection. I'm using the wifi logger with uploads on WL.com every 2 minutes, in case of internet shortage, how many hours or days can the wifi logger accumulate data with my update interval?
If the power goes out and the batteries run out too, do I lose all the configurations of my wifi logger?

Normally weather services takes real time data. WL.COM works different. It take real time data (please set to 1 min WLIP and WL PC standard). It is only current data they make no history from it. History charts are from data logger memory which WiFiLogger contains.
Only WL.COM and PHP&MySQL use history data from data logger memory. Cumulus and WL PC as well, but those are not weather services.
Problem is in two connections:
1. Ask for last entry date.
2. Send data from this moment from point 1.
WeatherUnderground will accept history data, but it gives no feedback information about last entry. So this is not easy to make. I will try in the future.
BTW. Real time data is being send to WL.COM by WLIP/WL PC/WiFiLogger in 1 min. interval, but this can be change in WiFiLogger to 3 sec. RapidFire on WL.COM  :twisted:
Who would like to test it? Firmware change is needed for that.

Capacity:
1 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 42 hours
5 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 days
10 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17 days
15 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26 days
30 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 53 days
60 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 106 days
120 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 213 days

About firmware 2.25. It contains new set of libriaries from producer of WiFi chip. I was expecting better working.
I had never more than 14 days without reboot. Today I have 20. This also means, that I didn't make any firmware changes for 20 days :)
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

WiFiLogger is working like a pipe. Takes data from console and send it to the Internet.
WiFiLogger keeps all settings in flash memory. It can be power on off 20 times per minute, no problem.
We should take care of console and console data. Console should be stand by 100% of the time.

I like backpowering from MeteoPi. I will do it with WiFiLogger. All units around the world can be made as back powering using soldering iron. This means no one will make it :)
I will try to put to the shops version with cable. How it will work?
- You are not connecting power supply to console, but to special wire which is soldered to WiFiLogger and it should be taken outside.
- Console is powered through diode.
- When there is no AC power then WiFi chip is off. No WiFi ability, but no power, no WiFi from router. Console has own batteries for itself and data logger memory.
Console can work as remote thermometer for 1 year on batteries.
Console can work as logging thermometer for 3 months. (console + data logger RS232/USB/WiFiLogger with back powering)

I would like to provide version of WiFiLogger which will have power cable (not nice looking). This version will be able to restore battery backup in console.
Console with WL IP can work on batteries 3 days
with WiFiLogger1 3 days
with WiFiLogger2 1 day.
All modern loggers are destroying console battery backup functionality. WiFiLogger with power cable will restore it.

Online Herbaldew

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 08:31:31 PM »
When I initially tried 2.25 all seemed fine but I did revert the WFL I tried it on to 2.24 to give some time to watch the forum for problems.  Not seeing any, I decided to go ahead and update both my WFLs to 2.25 and have spotted an issue (not a bug) that has caused me to revert back to 2.24.

It is the removal of the manual pause.  When Cumulus or WeatherLink are connected to the WFL it now pauses the Real Time Data screen.  I keep a Raspberry Pi running CumulusMX connected to one of my WFLs 24-7, so its Real Time Data screen is useless with 2.25. 

I have had a problem with phantom extra temps showing up.  This happened with my MeteoBridge/Davis USB logger also.  Because of this, I have the Real Time Data page of both my WFLs in iFrames at the bottom of a local html file that is a compilation of weather stuff I check regularly.  Every time I open this page (several times a day) I always scroll down to make sure all looks correct on the Real Time Data pages.  I do this because of how tedious and time consuming it is to edit the Cumulus and WeatherLink logs - I like to see when the phantom data shows up ASAP to limit how much time I have to spend editing.

I wasn't going to say anything and just happily run 2.24, but after reading about the updated libraries above I would prefer being able to update to take advantage of those and future improvements.

Not asking for you to revert to the way it was, but would you consider adding Manual Pause back to the TCP Port selection as a fourth option?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 08:20:44 AM by Herbaldew »
VP2+ Wireless - 24 hr FARS

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 05:41:57 AM »
Not asking for you to revert to the way it was, but would you consider added Manual Pause back to the TCP Port selection as a fourth option?

If it is important for you, I will restore, but not manual pause, but I will add 3rd option with collision. No one was using manul pause. You had to click on time/date on Real Time Data page to turn on pause on pause duration time. But after that I have made auto pause which is working much better than I assumed it would be.
Collision option will be almost the same like manual pause, but without trigger on real time page and without pause duration.
Collision option is 100% unprofessional. There will be fight between Cumulus and WFL access to the console to catch data.
In general Cumulus is very greedy. It want to have console data every 2.5 sec. With collision it will be disturb every 3 sec. This mean your WFL will have data every 5 sec. and Cumulus will have data every 5 sec. In fact you could not noticed that there is so much interaption. On the other hand weather data is not changing so fast. Maybe some wind gust could be mist.

I will restore collision option. I wanted you to know that is 100% unprofessional, but if it is making my clients to feel better, then it is very needed.

Online Herbaldew

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2019, 08:23:43 AM »
There will be fight between Cumulus and WFL access to the console to catch data.  In general Cumulus is very greedy. It want to have console data every 2.5 sec. With collision it will be disturb every 3 sec. This mean your WFL will have data every 5 sec. and Cumulus will have data every 5 sec.

Is this the way it has always been prior to 2.25?

If yes, I would like to try the collision feature as all is working well for me in 2.24.  The WFL CumulusMX is connected to does not upload so not being able to pause is OK with me.
VP2+ Wireless - 24 hr FARS

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2019, 09:05:00 AM »

Normally weather services takes real time data. WL.COM works different. It take real time data (please set to 1 min WLIP and WL PC standard). It is only current data they make no history from it. History charts are from data logger memory which WiFiLogger contains.
Only WL.COM and PHP&MySQL use history data from data logger memory. Cumulus and WL PC as well, but those are not weather services.
Problem is in two connections:
1. Ask for last entry date.
2. Send data from this moment from point 1.
WeatherUnderground will accept history data, but it gives no feedback information about last entry. So this is not easy to make. I will try in the future.
BTW. Real time data is being send to WL.COM by WLIP/WL PC/WiFiLogger in 1 min. interval, but this can be change in WiFiLogger to 3 sec. RapidFire on WL.COM  :twisted:
Who would like to test it? Firmware change is needed for that.

Capacity:
1 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 42 hours
5 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 days
10 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17 days
15 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26 days
30 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 53 days
60 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 106 days
120 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 213 days

About firmware 2.25. It contains new set of libriaries from producer of WiFi chip. I was expecting better working.
I had never more than 14 days without reboot. Today I have 20. This also means, that I didn't make any firmware changes for 20 days :)

WiFiLogger is working like a pipe. Takes data from console and send it to the Internet.
WiFiLogger keeps all settings in flash memory. It can be power on off 20 times per minute, no problem.
We should take care of console and console data. Console should be stand by 100% of the time.

I like backpowering from MeteoPi. I will do it with WiFiLogger. All units around the world can be made as back powering using soldering iron. This means no one will make it :)
I will try to put to the shops version with cable. How it will work?
- You are not connecting power supply to console, but to special wire which is soldered to WiFiLogger and it should be taken outside.
- Console is powered through diode.
- When there is no AC power then WiFi chip is off. No WiFi ability, but no power, no WiFi from router. Console has own batteries for itself and data logger memory.
Console can work as remote thermometer for 1 year on batteries.
Console can work as logging thermometer for 3 months. (console + data logger RS232/USB/WiFiLogger with back powering)

I would like to provide version of WiFiLogger which will have power cable (not nice looking). This version will be able to restore battery backup in console.
Console with WL IP can work on batteries 3 days
with WiFiLogger1 3 days
with WiFiLogger2 1 day.
All modern loggers are destroying console battery backup functionality. WiFiLogger with power cable will restore it.

I have been without adsl for over 16 hours, then once back the wifi logger has loaded the data on WL.com and I have not lost anything of the hours without adsl

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 12:33:27 PM »

Offline CannockChaseWeather

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2019, 10:12:05 AM »
I may have my dense head on but where do I find the updated firmware to download ?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2019, 10:31:36 AM »

Wojtek,
Why do you show? Station ID: 13669889
The default Station ID should be zero.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2019, 10:35:11 AM »
To download the latest firmware use the update firmware function from the WiFi Logger Setup Menu under System.
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2019, 10:36:16 AM »
I may have my dense head on but where do I find the updated firmware to download ?

https://wifilogger.net/support.html
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline CannockChaseWeather

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 10:38:46 AM »
Thanks for that. Can I use that firm wear because I have the logger 1 not 2 ?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2019, 03:21:20 PM »

Yes you can.
Firmware is the same, but build in two versions, for ESP8266 (WiFiLogger 1) and for ESP32 (WiFiLogger 2).
Both devices have own path to download theirs firmware.

Offline gvspfc

• Blumenau/Brazil Wunderground
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2019, 12:34:31 PM »

Yes you can.
Firmware is the same, but build in two versions, for ESP8266 (WiFiLogger 1) and for ESP32 (WiFiLogger 2).
Both devices have own path to download theirs firmware.

Hi, I recently bought a Davis Vantage Vue with wifilogger. It is installed and sending data correctly to wl.com. However the record of the maxims is well delayed as print appendix. It is now 14:30 and the maximum does not update, displays the max from 11:08. Since I didn't update anything, I probably have firmware 1.xx. Has this been fixed in any firmware updates? As I have old firmware, how do I upgrade? [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]