Author Topic: Enquire on Davis 6100 Weather Link Live available mobile apps for the 6152 ws  (Read 1405 times)

Offline vortilon

As I'm a newbie I would like to get to know about available and useful mobile applications for collecting and viewing weather data especially with regard to wind direction and its speed. Are there any other applications with high refresh rate that can connect to Davis hardware apart from the WeatherLink software (2.1.110)?

Regards,
Martin

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
As I'm a newbie I would like to get to know about available and useful mobile applications for collecting and viewing weather data especially with regard to wind direction and its speed. Are there any other applications with high refresh rate that can connect to Davis hardware apart from the WeatherLink software (2.1.110)?

No other mobile/cellular apps that I know of at present. There are of course browser apps like CumulusMX and Meteobridge that can receive data direct from a WLL unit, but you seem to be asking specifically about mobile apps. There's no reason in principle why someone couldn't develop an alternative mobile app to Weatherlink using data sourced via the WLL API or the weatherlink.com v2 API and subject of course to having the correct credentials set up. But to the best of my knowledge no-one has done this yet.

The best update frequency for any sensor, including wind, that you're going to get away from the home LAN is once per minute of course since that's the frequency with which data is uploaded to weatherlink.com. And if you're connected to the home LAN then the WL app already provides live updates every 2.5 secs so I'm not sure what would be gained by having a new app. But yes a new app is possible.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Too bad there was not a constant refresh for the wind data here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tools4monitoring.meteo.pws.pro&hl=en&gl=US

If you keep hitting the refresh button it works like Rapid Fire.

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
The beauty of the Android WeatherLink Live app is the live wind and rain updates right on the front page.
Wind is updated every 2.5 seconds.
Rain is updated every 10 seconds.

I also like that the app gives me the high and low of the day on the first page.

I love the "Records" page.
Temperature - High and Low for Day, Month, Year and All Time Record.
Rain - High Rain Rate and Totals for Day, Month, Year and All Time Record.
Wind - High Wind Gust for Day, Month, Year and All Time Record.

The Android WeatherLink Live app does everything my VP2 Console does and more. 

And best of all it's always in my pocket!

https://www.davisinstruments.com/weatherlink-app/
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 08:13:42 AM by TraderGary »
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
The app Weather Station will display data from WL.
But as John said it will only be at 1 minute updates.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
This is an example of the wind speed graph in that app.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline vortilon

Many thanks for all these helpful answers! Taking this opportunity I will also ask about the WeatherLink Live installation itself because I have some issues with it. As far as the Weather Link Live installation is concerned I tried to set up software yesterday, but every time I tried to select Wi-Fi network, the device lost connection and lost the Wi-Fi password, despite this informing me that the entire installation process was full successful and Weatherlink Live is online (and the blue LED light is flashing for some time and stops) and it wasn't. Off course the station name and location is displayed but WeatherLink can't connect to the Davis Vantage Pro 2 console and there aren't any weather parameters from my station at all. I don't know what it's caused by but I have some suspicions and one of it is that Weather Link device was plugged into my laptop's USB port and not electrical outlet (electric socket on the wall, I need European type plug and not US one).  Maybe USB port is not providing enough voltage to power device? What do you think about it and do you have any other suggestions?

Martin

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
All USB devices need a good power supply, so it's difficult to conclude anything until you've fixed the WLL power supply. Any good USB mains adapter (with the right USB plug/socket of course) should suffice, eg maybe a Raspberry Pi one. But do check the plug/socket for WLL compatibility - from memory the WLL uses USB Type A still, not Type C.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline vortilon

Weather Link plugged into the wall with AC adapter and Davis 6100 seems to be up and running flawlessly. Also mobile app started providing weather info. I have also made app upgrade to Pro version and don't know if I did the right thing at this early stage of weather monitoring?

Regards,
Martin

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
Weather Link plugged into the wall with AC adapter and Davis 6100 seems to be up and running flawlessly. Also mobile app started providing weather info. I have also made app upgrade to Pro version and don't know if I did the right thing at this early stage of weather monitoring?

Regards,
Martin

Here's why I did the Pro upgrade:
* Data viewing and exporting.
* Custom charting.

I value having off-site data storage on the Davis servers and I can download any time period I want.

With the weatherlink.com browser app (I use Microsoft Edge) I can slice and dice charts to show exactly what I want even down to line colors.

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro

Offline vortilon

Would you please show or describe what means fiddling with the charts in Pro version and what to download statistic for when your have a continuous access to historical data (Davis servers)?

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
Would you please show or describe what means fiddling with the charts in Pro version and what to download statistic for when your have a continuous access to historical data (Davis servers)?

Here I am looking at weatherlink.com in my browser.

Here's the bottom of the screen for completeness.

Here I have chosen the Chart tab and I can look at charts.
I can choose what chart I want to see.
I can scroll down for more charts.
I can change any parameters I want.

Here I have chosen the Data tab.
I can scroll to the right to see all of my data columns.
I can choose where the data starts.
I can choose data size. Day, Month, Year, etc.
Choose the little box with an arrow to download your data.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 11:03:32 AM by TraderGary »

Offline vortilon

Wow! Now I am convinced that it was worth upgrading to the pro version, because at the touch of a finger tip I have an unlimited access to my weather data on the basis of which I can keep statistics for every year on. And the weather and world's weather changes make it more and more interesting to keep an eye on. Thanks a lot and take care.

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
Wow! Now I am convinced that it was worth upgrading to the pro version, because at the touch of a finger tip I have an unlimited access to my weather data on the basis of which I can keep statistics for every year on. And the weather and world's weather changes make it more and more interesting to keep an eye on. Thanks a lot and take care.

That's why I did the upgrade to Pro. After using the Pro upgrade for 6 months, I'd absolutely buy it again. I have the cost of $49USD/year set up on auto renewal. Have you tried the smart phone app yet? You'll love it!

Offline vortilon

Yes, You're right, I have already fallen in love with the pro version when it started drawing temperature and weather charts for me. Now it looks fantastic. I also tried the smartphone app, but unfortunately I was worried about one thing that I only noticed now. Actually the weather data sent by Davis 6100 Weather Link Live do not reflect the actual weather situation at the moment and I have some concerns that the data allegedly sent from my station "URSUS GOŁĄBKI" actually comes from another station. For example, I have a Davis console on the wall, which at the moment displays the outside temperature of 4.8 ° C, while the application gives me 4.6 °C? Moving on, the pressure from the console is 1014.5 hPa, and from the application 1014.1 hPa, the wind is also totally wrong with displayed speed and direction. I don't have slightest idea what is the reason for that? Is this difference in indications due to a delay in data transfer (lag) or some internal application settings. What do you think and what do you suggest I should do?