Author Topic: C Cell battery substitution and fan replacement in 24 hour FARS?  (Read 1467 times)

Offline egeezer

• Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
LABob posted that Eneloop AA cells with a sleeve to fit the battery compartment are working well, but the Panasonic brand Eneloops are 2000 mAh.
See his post at https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40169.msg412093#msg412093 

The batteries in my almost four year old ISS no longer hold a charge. I see Amazon has pre-charged C Cell 1.2V Rechargeable Batteries (5000mAh Ni-MH). My concern is whether the increased capacity might be incompatible with the solar charging system.

Has anyone used the 5000 mAh NiMh batteries in their 24 hour FARS?

On a related subject, the fan is noisy, and I plan to order another one. Some purchasers have complained about the quality of the replacement unit, and I see some WxForum members here have found part numbers and sources for just the fan motor. My plan is to replace the fan assembly and order a motor to 'rebuild' the old fan as a spare.

Comments and experiences on fan and motor replacement and are welcome. 

Thanks, EG

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: C Cell battery substitution and fan replacement in 24 hour FARS?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 05:48:08 PM »
Before I went a/c case fan, I used this as a replacement for the lame Davis motors. Whether Davis has upgraded their motors since ( I haven't used one in many years), I have no idea, but these work fine. They're slightly smaller in diameter, so a minor mod is necessary.

https://www.jameco.com/z/RF-500TB-18280-R-Nichibo-Taiwan-3-Volt-DC-Motor-2104-Rpm-1-3-Volt-Range_2158442.html

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 12:47:50 AM »
That motor is a bit short on the shaft too eh?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 01:02:23 AM »
That motor is a bit short on the shaft too eh?
Did the fan blades push down as far as stock? Honestly, don't remember, but completely irrelevant because it obviously worked.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 01:55:16 AM »
Yeah, a bit less engaged re: fan on shaft.

Works just fine buy I may order something different next time.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 03:26:48 AM »
Yeah, a bit less engaged re: fan on shaft.

Works just fine buy I may order something different next time.
That makes complete sense.

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 11:16:00 AM »
Before I went a/c case fan, I used this as a replacement for the lame Davis motors. Whether Davis has upgraded their motors since ( I haven't used one in many years), I have no idea, but these work fine. They're slightly smaller in diameter, so a minor mod is necessary.

https://www.jameco.com/z/RF-500TB-18280-R-Nichibo-Taiwan-3-Volt-DC-Motor-2104-Rpm-1-3-Volt-Range_2158442.html

I purchased a 6163 in Oct 2020 and the fan is squealing loudly today. I'd say they haven't upgraded the motors.
I have no AC available at the mounting site, so will have to get another Davis it looks like.
Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24hr FARS, WLL

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 06:26:17 PM »

I purchased a 6163 in Oct 2020 and the fan is squealing loudly today. I'd say they haven't upgraded the motors.
I have no AC available at the mounting site, so will have to get another Davis it looks like.
What's wrong with the link I supplied?

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 08:03:22 PM »

What's wrong with the link I supplied?
Well, reading the thread, it seems like the shaft is short and the housing needs tweaking.
If I have to in order to have a reliable/longer lasting fan, but I'd rather not.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 08:13:53 PM »
Hellofalot better and cheaper than going with the Davis crap. I used this exact motor for a good six months before going a/c, short shaft or not. As far as the housing, all I used was this to wrap around the motor once or twice for a perfect fit. Your money.

https://sep.yimg.com/ay/paperlanternstore/wide-thick-double-sided-sticky-foam-tape-0-10-thick-1-25-wide-x-118-long-16.jpg

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 08:49:10 PM »
Hellofalot better and cheaper than going with the Davis crap. I used this exact motor for a good six months before going a/c, short shaft or not. As far as the housing, all I used was this to wrap around the motor once or twice for a perfect fit. Your money.

https://sep.yimg.com/ay/paperlanternstore/wide-thick-double-sided-sticky-foam-tape-0-10-thick-1-25-wide-x-118-long-16.jpg

Better is always good. Good method of creating a shim!
So, still seems a bit steep for a motor, with shipping and the minimum fee, $17.19

"Please note: Jameco has a surcharge on orders of less than $20 worth of product. Based on your current shopping cart, Jameco will add a $10.00 order processing fee to this order. This charge will disappear when your cart exceeds $20."

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 08:57:34 PM »
Wow, I sure as hell didn't have those insane charges back then (it was about $4 to the door), but that was obviously back in more sane times.

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 09:44:38 PM »
Wow, I sure as hell didn't have those insane charges back then (it was about $4 to the door), but that was obviously back in more sane times.

These are no longer sold on Amazon either, so they are the sole choice for Jameco. I couldn't even find it on EBay.
Better than airfare though. I watched a flight I need go from ~$400 to $895 over the past 3 days!

I will see if I can get Davis to cover the replacement this time around. It hasn't even been 6 months.
Then, if they don't want the old part back, I'll have it to see what will fit and work well.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2021, 10:13:50 PM »
I will see if I can get Davis to cover the replacement this time around. It hasn't even been 6 months.
No idea what the warranty is. If it's out, be buttery on the call and see if they'll "good will" it. I actually think you've a decent chance of succeeding. GL.

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 10:50:03 PM »
As I stated in another thread, the Jameco motors spin 100-300 RPM less than the Davis motors in current production. They were changed at some point in the last 5+ years. The Jameco motors APPEAR to be like the original FARS motors from before then, but even then it's a guess by appearance only. I strongly recommend sticking with a Davis motor, or doing the AC conversion. Davis because you have a warranty and we know they last a few years USUALLY (others have reported Jamecos failing in a matter of months, and that includes Davis or anyone too), and AC because IP67 rated Coolermasters (80x80x25) have a 7 year rating on them - at ~$20 a pop if they fail.

Now, as for your charging question -
Any 5000maH rechargeable C cell will work. It doesn't have to be Davis's Tenergy. It's the same mAH rating matched to the solar panel. More capacity (if they even make them) would be a different story, but even charging both existing 5000maH batteries fully - mind you fully - depends on how much and how strong of sunlight the solar panel receives. And again - Davis chose Tenergy because of reliability. The Amazon batteries may not be made to as high a specification and may last much less = costing more in the long run.

Just stuff to ponder. Hope some of this helps.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 10:58:33 PM by azchrisf »
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2021, 11:04:11 PM »
As I stated in another thread, the Jameco motors spin 100-300 RPM less than the Davis motors in current production. They were changed at some point in the last 5+ years.
Guess I missed that part. Since I've been on a case fan for six years, evidently I had an older version, at least shaft length wise, just for the simple fact it worked in service until I pulled it. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2021, 11:08:47 PM »
Hi CW,
Yeah I think I posted pictures of what the current one looks like - inside and out.
Here you go:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41044.msg420979#msg420979
My setup:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2021, 11:14:00 PM »
Very well. I will no longer recommend this motor. Thank you.

Offline egeezer

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2021, 03:30:55 PM »
Thanks all, for the enlightening discussion on the fan motor. At less than $3 the Ebay motor linked by AZchrisf's post is worth a try. (see https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41044.msg420997#msg420997 )

RE: my original post;

I'm still wondering about the battery replacement. The batteries in my almost four year old ISS no longer hold a charge. Amazon has pre-charged C Cell 1.2V Rechargeable Batteries (5000mAh Ni-MH). My concern is whether the increased capacity might be incompatible with the solar charging system. Has anyone used the 5000 mAh NiMh batteries in their 24 hour FARS?

Thanks again for all your replies!
EG

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2021, 04:22:04 PM »
I just looked at my stock battery and it an 2300 mAh NiCAD, not NiMH. However, I don't see why it wouldn't work but may behave differently. I don't think you'll break anything by trying them. Don't forget you should get buttonless top.

That said, I hold myself harmless in your endeavor.  ;)

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2021, 05:03:34 PM »
Thanks all, for the enlightening discussion on the fan motor. At less than $3 the Ebay motor linked by AZchrisf's post is worth a try. (see https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41044.msg420997#msg420997 )

I'm still wondering about the battery replacement. The batteries in my almost four year old ISS no longer hold a charge. Amazon has pre-charged C Cell 1.2V Rechargeable Batteries (5000mAh Ni-MH). My concern is whether the increased capacity might be incompatible with the solar charging system. Has anyone used the 5000 mAh NiMh batteries in their 24 hour FARS?

EG

Skip that motor, it was nowhere near what I expected. If you want to do replacement yourself use the Jameco. To center it, wrap with electrical tape and get a snug fit. I believe CW posted about another one that may work...?

I just looked at my stock battery and it an 2300 mAh NiCAD, not NiMH. However, I don't see why it wouldn't work but may behave differently. I don't think you'll break anything by trying them. Don't forget you should get buttonless top.

Nimh suffers from “memory effect” if I remember correctly more so but correct basically the same.
My setup:

Offline egeezer

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2021, 05:27:26 PM »
My apologies -- I had missed your post when I was scrolling through the replies! I will stick with the Tenergy NiCd 2300 MAh replacement - Buttonless. I'll check Jameco and find CW's alternative to see which may be better.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2021, 05:47:46 PM »
I'll check Jameco and find CW's alternative to see which may be better.
I used this. Probably easier than something thinner.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2021, 06:03:03 PM »

EG

Skip that motor, it was nowhere near what I expected. If you want to do replacement yourself use the Jameco. To center it, wrap with electrical tape and get a snug fit. I believe CW posted about another one that may work...?

Nimh suffers from “memory effect” if I remember correctly more so but correct basically the same.

Actually NiMh has less apparent memory effect.

Unless the spec called for it wouldn't the higher final voltage of NiMh affect how well the charger worked?