Author Topic: Questions before buying a 6162 or 6163  (Read 1470 times)

Offline DSDunbar

Questions before buying a 6162 or 6163
« on: June 29, 2019, 02:52:11 PM »
I’ve never owned a weather station before and I’m on the verge of buying either a 6162 or 6163 but I have some questions:

- does the fan on the 6163 significantly improve the temperature sensor accuracy?
- in the specs I didn’t see mention of a barometer.  Is it included?
- am I correct in thinking that a tripod is not included even though the images show one.
- I’m confused about what additional add-ons I need.  My objective is to have the station transmit wirelessly from outside to inside, to log the data, and access real-time data from my iphone and ipad.  It isn’t clear to me from the data logger info what exactly I need to accomplish this.  I won’t be able to connect the station to my router with a cord.

Another thing...
It occurred to me that I’d also like to have an air quality monitor integrated into my met station.  My new Dyson air purifier includes indoor monitoring of PM2.5 PM10 NO2 and VOC.  My outdoor concerns are primarily pollen (i.e., allergies) and gasses and particulates from forest fires.  Any thoughts on how best to do this within the framework of a 6163?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 12:46:18 PM by DSDunbar »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Questions before buying a 6162 or 6163
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 03:01:17 PM »
I’ve never owned a weather station before and I’m on the verge of buying either a 6162 or 6163 but I have some questions:

- does the fan on the 6163 significantly improve the temperature sensor accuracy?
- in the specs I didn’t see mention of a barometer.  Is it included?
- am I correct in thinking that a tripod is not included even though the images show one.
- I’m confused about what additional add-ons I need.  My objective is to have the station transmit wirelessly from outside to inside, to log the data, and access real-time data from my iphone and ipad.  It isn’t clear to me from the data logger info what exactly I need to accomplish this.  I won’t be able to connect the station to my router with a cord.
Yes, a fan will help in low to no wind situations.
Yes, the barometer is in the included console.
No, a tripod is not included.
There are many options for data transfer, but some form of logger will be necessary. Others will fill in here better than I can.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 03:14:58 PM »

In many cases/locations, Yes!
Last year I replaced my 2008 VP2 6152 with a 6163 ISS and I am glad I did. 

There are many options for data transfer, but some form of logger will be necessary. Others will fill in here better than I can.
The Weatherlink Live may be a good option for you https://www.davisinstruments.com/weatherlinklive/
Or the third-party WiFiLogger http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34312.0
and both are available from Scaled Instruments.
Further research on these will help you on which is best for you to set up and use.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 03:32:10 PM »
Expanding on what Paul said above.
I think the weatherlink live logger only sends data to Davis. If I am wrong on that someone please correct me. They have a nice interface to view your data and it updates every 2.5 seconds.
The wifi logger updates to several sites including Davis but only at 1 minute updates.
Personally I like the wifi logger better because of more options to upload your data but that's just me.
I would also get a  anemometer transmitter. Reason being is usually where you mount the ISS, that has temp gauge and the rain bucket, that location isn't ideal to site your anemometer. With the separate transmitter you could place that anny on your roof or some other place where you can get better wind data. Of course it will cost extra but in the end if you have a good place to place it, it will be worth it.
Edit to add that the wifilogger also sends data to weatherunderground. They are having a lot of issues but I just enabled it on the wifilogger and their Rapid Fire option is working. It sends data every 3 seconds. How long it works, who knows. But it is an option.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 03:44:22 PM by ocala »

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 04:13:30 PM »
I think the weatherlink live logger only sends data to Davis. If I am wrong on that someone please correct me. They have a nice interface to view your data and it updates every 2.5 seconds.
The wifi logger updates to several sites including Davis but only at 1 minute updates.
Personally I like the wifi logger better because of more options to upload your data but that's just me.
I would also get a  anemometer transmitter. Reason being is usually where you mount the ISS, that has temp gauge and the rain bucket, that location isn't ideal to site your anemometer. With the separate transmitter you could place that anny on your roof or some other place where you can get better wind data. Of course it will cost extra but in the end if you have a good place to place it, it will be worth it.
Edit to add that the wifilogger also sends data to weatherunderground. They are having a lot of issues but I just enabled it on the wifilogger and their Rapid Fire option is working. It sends data every 3 seconds. How long it works, who knows. But it is an option.

I have just check WeatherLink Live. It is transmiting data to WeatherLink.com in 1 minuter interval.
WeatherLink PC - 1 min for real time data
WeatherLink IP - 1 min
WeatherLink Live - 1 min
WiFiLogger - 1 minute interval for RTD, because other Davis solutions have 1 minute interval. WiFiLogger could send data to WL.COM every 3 sec., but we are guest there. If any Davis technology has 1 min interval, then WiFiLogger will have 1 min interval, but no technical problem to change it :)

WeatherLink Live, PC, IP have 2.5 sec. interval when you are connected inside your home network. With WeatherLink PC, or smartphone APP
The same is with WiFiLogger first HTML page with real time data is about 3 sec. interval.

Internet export with 3 sec. you can have with WiFiLogger and WU RapidFire, or with WiFiLogger custom export.
Or using other solutions like WeatherLink PC with RapidFire, Cumulus MX, Weewx, MeteoBridge etc. all with RapidFire.

Many weather services like Awekas don't want data faster than every 5 minutes.
Windy.com wants data every 5 minutes.
CWOP wants data every 5 minutes.
WOW wants data every 10 minutes.
Only RapidFire is allowed with 3 sec. interval.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 09:26:16 PM »

I agree that purchasing an anemometer transmitter is a good idea. I have 3 VP2s but only use 1 anny. The consoles are programmable to receive data from the single anny but separate data from each of my 3 VP2 ISSs which are all uploaded to CWOP, WU, etc.  I would really like to mount my anny from my chimney but my wife says no way!

Two of my ISSs have the daytime fan and the third one has the 24 hour fan. Where I live (suburban Chicago) I don’t see a big difference in the data among the 3 stations. I like the solar panel on the 24 hour unit but in hindsight, I really didn’t gain much when adding a 24 hour fan and changing the batteries in the 24 hour unit ranks right up there with root canal treatment for pain.That said, if I could hook up the 24 hour fan to AC power, I would do that but in my situation, it is not possible.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 09:49:52 PM »
changing the batteries in the 24 hour unit ranks right up there with root canal treatment for pain.
Why do you even need to change batteries already? Even if, removing three screws on the bottom of the ISS and the four for the two battery compartments is a root canal? Maybe I'm missing something... :???:

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 10:19:48 PM »
changing the batteries in the 24 hour unit ranks right up there with root canal treatment for pain.
Why do you even need to change batteries already? Even if, removing three screws on the bottom of the ISS and the four for the two battery compartments is a root canal? Maybe I'm missing something... :???:

I haven’t changed the batteries yet, I just know that effort is coming soon and remember the unpleasant task of assembling the ISS. Fortunately, Scaled Instruments has a very helpful tutorial on how to disassemble and then reassemble the ISS.

A root canal analogy is appropriate. A visit to your dentist when a tooth hurts and the dentist suggests “root canal treatment” which means pain, expense, followed by a crown and more expense! Okay, a slight exaggeration, but it makes good reading since hockey season is over!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 10:42:15 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 10:45:37 PM »

I haven’t changed the batteries yet, I just know that effort is coming soon and remember the unpleasant task of assembling the ISS. Fortunately, Scaled Instruments has a very helpful tutorial on how to disassemble and then reassemble the ISS.

A root canal analogy is appropriate. A visit to your dentist when a tooth hurts and the dentist suggests “root canal treatment” which means pain, expense, followed by a crown and more expense!
Removing literally three screws from the bottom of the radiation shield exposes the fan and the two battery compartments. I seriously don't know how much more anti-root canal you can get.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 10:49:02 PM »

A root canal analogy is appropriate. A visit to your dentist when a tooth hurts and the dentist suggests “root canal treatment” which means pain, expense, followed by a crown and more expense!
Removing literally three screws from the bottom of the radiation shield exposes the fan and the two battery compartments. I seriously don't know how much more anti-root canal you can get.

Just three screws—I guess I should give that a whirl—I thought the effort was more extensive than that.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 11:23:13 PM »
Yep, the only three down there. They're very long as they connect the entire bottom of the shield to the top two "bowls", but the threaded portion is maybe 3/4". Note, the bottom shields are aligned, so if you don't want to re-aligned them, keep them together as you pull it apart. Even if you do, it's not a "root canal" to fix. :roll:

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 11:18:50 AM »
Adding my 'my two-penny worth' of information to this thread...  ;)

Unfortunately, I do not recommend the purchase of the Davis Instruments Weatherlink Live unit - it is too expensive for its usefulness.

But, I strongly recommend the WiFiLogger - it is the best logger.  [tup]

Finally, changing the batteries of the 24-hour fan-aspirated radiation shield is certainly NOT similar to getting a root canal treatment - I am 72 and I was able to change the batteries without problem and assistance last summer ... there is no way I would go through a root canal treatment...  :roll:
R_o_B
---
eMail: weather@herray.net

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 01:29:34 PM »

The WeatherLink doesn't only send data to Davis' Weatherlink.com. The WeatherLink Live also has a new local network API. This allows you to easily get the data on the local network from the WLL via WiFi or Ethernet. I believe all major 3rd party weather software supports this feature; Meteobridge, Weather-Display, Cumulus MX, WeeWx. If they don't all yet...then I'm sure they all will very soon.

I think the WLL is the most exiting thing Davis has done. It allows you to run whatever software you want. And there is no reason you can't run multiple of these software at once without the headaches of the past in needing to use VVP. Even those that currently use WiFiLogger and want to also run 3rd party software need to deal with this brief disconnect to allow the software to get data and I've read it has some drawbacks. So I say the WLL with its new API is a much more elegant solution.

There seems to be a lot of love for the WiFiLogger. Maybe it's the price. I'd say for those considering the WiFiLogger to not forget that there is also a Meteobridge Nano which is similar and much more powerful.....and yes it costs more.

Still yet the WLL is more flexible allowing you to have more transmitter sensors. It may even be the best option for Davis to one day support a PM2.5. I can't see it being something they could add to the current consoles.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 01:50:12 PM »
There seems to be a lot of love for the WiFiLogger. Maybe it's the price. I'd say for those considering the WiFiLogger to not forget that there is also a Meteobridge Nano which is similar and much more powerful.....and yes it costs more.

Still yet the WLL is more flexible allowing you to have more transmitter sensors. It may even be the best option for Davis to one day support a PM2.5. I can't see it being something they could add to the current consoles.

I'd say that all three each have a place, each has its own pros and cons and price-performance considerations. What is becoming increasingly tricky is to try to explain the relative pros and cons of each to users who may be buying a weather station for the first time. It's probably also worth noting that the marketplace never stands still for long - WLL is a very new product and software support for it is not yet complete. So that part of the landscape will continue to change. And the hardware modules on which the WFL Logger and Nano are based also continue to evolve, offering new opportunities for weather station software. Who knows what additional options there may be in even 6 months' time?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 06:20:58 PM »
Good point John.
Someone who is familiar with all 3 should put up a post describing the pros and cons of each and Ken could sticky it.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2019, 06:40:49 PM »
For me the bottom line is this. The WLL isn't instead of anything else. It is what will enable you to run all the other options at the same time. It is like a new VVP, but better. Just running the WLL with nothing else is a poor option. Because then all you can do is what is limited by Weatherlink.com.

If you invest in a WLL then you can try out simultaneously any 3rd party software and that includes a Meteobridge device getting data from the WLL. That frees up the display console to even sport a WiFiLogger ...all at the same time. Then run Weather-Display, WeeWx, and Cumulus MX all on a single Raspberry Pi or other computer which will get the data from the WLL.

Then with this WLL setup you can figure out the Pros and Cons of each solution yourself. You can decide which software you like to reporting to whichever service or which one runs your personal website. Or you can use the tools, graphs and analytics from all the 3rd party software. If you can run them all at the same time then there is no compromise, and you get to have the most fun and learn and become experienced will all of them. If you find that one or more of the software isn't worth the effort then you just stop using it. But I suspect that there probably is good reason to perhaps run more than one solution even if it is just only two of them.

For most people trying out a different solution means turning off the current solution. Then you end up with a hole in your data. That is a big down side. With the WLL you can test and experiment and figure out a different solution without giving up the current solution.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 06:43:54 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2019, 04:04:19 AM »
Then run Weather-Display, WeeWx, and Cumulus MX all on a single Raspberry Pi or other computer which will get the data from the WLL...

Not CumulusMX (as yet). And I'm not sure that weewx (excellent product though I'm sure it is) is something that I'd want to encourage the less computer literate users who only know Windows as a basic user to try. That leaves WD and even there AFAIK this can only cope with Weatherlink Live data in what amounts to a VP2 emulation mode, ie without the flexibility to handle the full range of sensors that WLL is able to receive from.

This is why I say that the WLL landscape has some way to go as yet. I'm sure it will happen as new software versions are released but this isn't the situation today. And it may well be sometime before there's any local Windows-compatible software able to accommodate the full sensor capabilities of a WLL unit.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2019, 04:52:22 AM »
Someone who is familiar with all 3 should put up a post describing the pros and cons of each...

Well, I do spend a significant proportion of my time doing just that, but talking to/emailing prospective users. The bare bones are relatively simple (and bearing in mind that some users, especially those with a few more years on the clock, don't have too much in the way of computing skills and are also often looking for simplicity rather than 1001 features):

WiFi Logger: Probably the simplest and most cost-effective way for users to upload to online weather networks or connect via WiFi to local software;

Nano/MB Pro: More powerful but higher-priced and with a more complex interface than WFL. But able to function as a complete standalone local computing device, especially for those with greater computing skills. Inevitably, you have to use the built-in software implementation rather than having the flexibility to choose your own software that using a separate computer would allow, but if Nano does all you need then that's obviously not an issue;

Weatherlink Live: Also reasonably costly and, for most users, closely tied to using weatherlink.com and the WL smartphone app. But for those who are happy to use wl.com, especially with a Pro subscription, then it's an easy and appealing way of getting all your data on to the Internet and and with the responsibility of managing the data handled by someone else. There's the added bonus of full sensor flexibility (ie totally your choice of transmitters/sensors on all 8 wireless channels, which MB Pro Red - but not Nano - can also offer, but not other Davis-compatible loggers either, other than the legacy Envoy8X). WLL is for Davis wireless stations only, ie not cabled.

But beyond this short summary, it's not easy to provide useful extra comparative detail without getting into the minutiae of exactly how various features work on the different devices, and with quite a lot of qualifications and footnotes. It's more down to trying to tease out exactly what the individual user is seeking to achieve (though often they can't articulate a clear idea of this, which isn't particularly a criticism - if you've never used a similar device then how would know what kind of features it can offer?), their budget, level of computer skills and so on.

And as per other posts, this summary is broadly true today but in eg 6 months time who knows how the data landscape may have evolved further.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 12:37:34 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2019, 05:30:09 AM »
Not sure, but I think we may have scared the OP away.... :-s

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2019, 09:30:36 AM »
An outstanding synopsis by Johnd below. Great job, and thanks. I have 2 WiFi loggers and am very happy. Big improvement over the usb Davis logger I have that frequently loses connection with my computer in a thunderstorm.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 09:34:48 AM by WheatonRon »

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2019, 10:36:26 AM »
Someone who is familiar with all 3 should put up a post describing the pros and cons of each...

WiFi Logger: Probably the simplest and most cost-effective way for users to upload to online weather networks or connect via WiFi to local software;

Nano/MB Pro: More powerful but more costly and with a more complex interface than WFL. But able to function as a complete standalone local computing device, especially for those with greater computing skills. Inevitably, you're using the single built-in software implementation rather than the choice of software that using a separate computer would allow, but if Nano does all you need then that's obviously not an issue;

Weatherlink Live: Also reasonably costly and, for most users, closely tied to using weatherlink.com and the WL smartphone app. But for those who are happy to use wl.com, especially with a Pro subscription, then it's an easy and appealing way of getting all your data on to the Internet and and with the responsibility of managing the data handled by someone else. There's the added bonus of full sensor flexibility (ie totally your choice of transmitters/sensors on all 8 wireless channels, which MB Pro Red - but not Nano - can also offer, but not other Davis-compatible loggers either, other than the legacy Envoy8X). WLL is for Davis wireless stations only, ie not cabled.

But beyond this short summary, it's not easy to provide useful extra comparative detail without getting into the minutiae of exactly how various features work on the different devices, and with quite a lot of qualifications and footnotes. It's more down to trying to tease out exactly what the individual user is seeking to achieve (though often they can't articulate a clear idea of this, which isn't particularly a criticism - if you've never used a similar device then how would know what kind of features it can offer?), their budget, level of computer skills and so on.

I can agree with this small summary, I use all of the above devices in question, Except that I stop using the WiFiLogger for personal reasons... It just didnt fit my needs.

I can add a few more things that are appealing to users when considering.

WLL: Has battery backup and can also passthrough data to WDL and Meteobridge (Not sure about others)
WLL: Can retain data for later upload in case of wireless or internet outage.
WLL: Just plain simple to setup.

I am super happy I purchase a WLL!!!!!

Meteobridge: This is one is complex as there is a vast line of models, I own almost all of them and by far the best one is the Nano SD. The Nano SD acts like a smaller version of the Meteohub, Has the ability to archive and retain data it also has the ability to generate graphs (Pre configured templates as well as custom) It also has the ability to be accessible from the internet without having to do complex stuff in your network. The Nano line is super powerful and as noted above is not for every user.

WiFiLogger: Not much to say here as it has been pointed out above is just simple to use. I do have to point out that the developer is super active here and thats a plus. To me it did not work out because it can not work standalone as well with the software like WDL or WeeWX.... Is ether/or... Unlike the Nano SD were it can still function  standalone and in parallel with a software. This important when you use several functions with a custom website.
Whats appealing on the WiFiLogger? The price!

Also both Nano SD and WiFiLogger can send data to an array of weather services. (Nano SD does have much more options than the WiFiLogger). Is also worth noting that both devices leverage the consoles battery backup though I am not sure if they can properly work on battery only. (Somebody can help me on this one.)

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline DSDunbar

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2019, 05:11:45 PM »
Not sure, but I think we may have scared the OP away.... :-s

Nope - I’m still here.  I just hadn’t checked in for a few days.

Offline DSDunbar

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2019, 05:16:29 PM »

Well, I do spend a significant proportion of my time doing just that, but talking to/emailing prospective users. The bare bones are relatively simple (and bearing in mind that some users, especially those with a few more years on the clock, don't have too much in the way of computing skills and are also often looking for simplicity rather than 1001 features):

Nano/MB Pro: More powerful but higher-priced and with a more complex interface than WFL. But able to function as a complete standalone local computing device, especially for those with greater computing skills. Inevitably, you have to use the built-in software implementation rather than having the flexibility to choose your own software that using a separate computer would allow, but if Nano does all you need then that's obviously not an issue;

And as per other posts, this summary is broadly true today but in eg 6 months time who knows how the data landscape may have evolved further.

Thanks for the information on these various options - much appreciated.