Miscellaneous Debris > Tech Corner

Miicro$oft Surface Pro

(1/2) > >>

Garth Bock:
I found a M$ Surface Pro for sale. I want to know if anyone has one and is running weather software on it like VWS, Cumulus, WL? I know you can't install "outside apps" on the RT version of the Surface. Also it can't be updated past Win8. The one I am looking at runs Win10.

mcrossley:
I have a gen 6 and it's running Windows 10 Pro fine. Though there is a Surface specific version you can use the standard image and load all the drivers/firmware retrospectively.

They are great machines imho, though the higher spec processor can run hot if asked to do anything too strenuous - so much so they can actually throttle back to be much slower than a slower spec machine!

Garth Bock:
I am not sure what version it is. I would like to put Cumulus on it but the heat and throttling issue is going to be a strike against it. I am also looking at a cheap Windows 10 table I found on eBay but probably will pass on that too. Thanks for the heads up.

BrianLehan:
We have a few at work with the soft keyboards which crap out about the day after the warranty ends, but any Bluetooth keyboard can replace it. The only major gripe I hear all the time from users is why only one USB jack - ours are a few years old now not sure generation but think they arrived with Windows 8, upgraded them to 8.1, then 10 no issues with windows update. We give them a four port adapter but it is something else to carry and loose.

I have been able to load any windows program and have it run. Graphics are sharp, speed is good. Older folks hate the screen size. :)

Brian

Garth Bock:

--- Quote from: BrianLehan on September 26, 2020, 11:13:34 PM ---We have a few at work with the soft keyboards which crap out about the day after the warranty ends, but any Bluetooth keyboard can replace it. The only major gripe I hear all the time from users is why only one USB jack - ours are a few years old now not sure generation but think they arrived with Windows 8, upgraded them to 8.1, then 10 no issues with windows update. We give them a four port adapter but it is something else to carry and loose.

I have been able to load any windows program and have it run. Graphics are sharp, speed is good. Older folks hate the screen size. :)

Brian

--- End quote ---

I forgot about the single usb port. Not a real breaker for what I am planning.  I have several directions to take with what I am doing. Tommorow I am going to test Win10 on a RaspPi 4. If that works then  I will see how it handles Cumulus. I am leaning towards a LattePanda to run Win10 easier but everything is an option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version