Author Topic: Best weather station for RV  (Read 1095 times)

Offline larryjb

Best weather station for RV
« on: November 06, 2019, 08:56:14 PM »
Forgive me, I'm new at this...

I've been looking for a simple weather station for my RV.  What I would like is something simple, reasonably accurate forecasts of precipitation and temperature for the morning/noon/night, and perhaps 24h.  I want it simple because I don't want to keep extra gear to a minimum.  I am also not a big fan of the "cool looking" colour LCD.  I fear they will emit too much light and be annoying when trying to sleep at night.

The Acurite seem to come closest with the model 01181M, but it doesn't seem to give any forecasts other than a basic 12h.  Are the "trends" a good indicator to predict the proceding 4-8 hours?  I see it is self calibrating.  How much of a problem will this be if you travel 500 km from Oregon into California with very different elevation and weather patterns?  Would I have to wait a week for the calibration process all over again?

The Davis Vue comes in next, but it is more complex to set up, and perhaps not practical for travelling with an RV.

I like the Davis Pro 2, but that's way to bulky for travel.

LacrosseTechnology 308-1417V2 looks promising, but does seem similar to the Acurite 01181M in functionality.

Is there anything I'm missing in what I should be looking at?

Larry

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Best weather station for RV
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 09:09:12 PM »
What I would like is something simple, reasonably accurate forecasts of precipitation and temperature for the morning/noon/night, and perhaps 24h. 
No such thing. If you want a forecast, you need to do like everyone else and go to the NWS or such, or become educated in the field. PWS's "give" forecast, but they are basically worthless. Waaaay too many variables for this type of simple machine.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 09:24:36 PM »
https://darksky.net is all you need.

Pull it up on your phone or computer.

Better yet add the Big Sky skill to Amazon Alexa and then ask your Echo device for the forecast. It is scary accurate.
"Alexa, open Big Sky.”
“Alexa, ask Big Sky if it will rain in three hours.”
“Alexa, ask Big Sky how much it will rain tomorrow?”

"Alexa, ask Big Sky..."

...what's the high temperature today?
...will it rain in the next three hours?
...for the barometric pressure
...what was the weather on June 1st, 1980?
...will it rain before 10 pm?
...for the humidity at 4 pm?
...give me a weather fact!
...what will the wind speed be in three hours?
...what's the low temperature in the next seven days?
...about the weather this weekend.
...when is sunrise on Saturday?
...what's the weather on Friday?
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 09:28:42 PM »
There's really no good answer for this.  You'd be better off looking at the forecast from your smartphone.

The motion of your RV will make most readings meaningless as you travel.  You might get some data while parked, but you'd have to adjust your barometer and align your station to North for proper wind readings. 

Offline larryjb

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 01:20:34 AM »
All the answers rely on Internet.  When travelling, especially if boondocking, we do not have access to Internet as we do not have data plans.  (In Canada data plans are ridiculously expensive, and while in town we have enough access to WIFI we don't need data enough to purchase data plans.  When travelling, especially in the US, we'd be faced with roaming.  We could get a data plan on a US phone, but that gets pricey too if you're gone for just a couple of weeks.

There used to be a service called WeatherDirect which sent weather information to your weather station, without the need for WIFI.  Unfortunately that service shut down, presumably because data plans became cheap enough (in the US).  Maybe I'll look into a weather radio.  (I have one, but it's a little bulky, and everyone in the family seems to start talking every time I turn a radio on.  Then, when I want to talk, they turn on their own devices!)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 07:05:23 AM »
Maybe get yourself an Indian rain stick. It comes with free wireless service. :grin:

In all seriousness a weather radio is probably your best bet. I really like my Sangean CL-100. You can plug headphones into it.

Keep a printed list of stations so you know what to tune into wherever you may be.

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/weatheradio/find-your-network.html
https://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/resources/NWR_Brochure_NOAA_PA_94062.pdf
https://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/resources/NWR_poster.pdf
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:20:00 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 08:28:38 AM »
You need to find a storm chaser that is going out of business and buy their equipment.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 09:30:47 AM »
I would go with the vue myself.  Weather Stations don't forecast weather they measure it so set that notion aside. 

https://www.davisinstruments.com/case-study/mobile-weather-station-for-storm-chasing/
Randy

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 10:15:29 AM »
All the answers rely on Internet.  When travelling, especially if boondocking, we do not have access to Internet as we do not have data plans.  (In Canada data plans are ridiculously expensive, and while in town we have enough access to WIFI we don't need data enough to purchase data plans.  When travelling, especially in the US, we'd be faced with roaming.  We could get a data plan on a US phone, but that gets pricey too if you're gone for just a couple of weeks.

There used to be a service called WeatherDirect which sent weather information to your weather station, without the need for WIFI.  Unfortunately that service shut down, presumably because data plans became cheap enough (in the US).  Maybe I'll look into a weather radio.  (I have one, but it's a little bulky, and everyone in the family seems to start talking every time I turn a radio on.  Then, when I want to talk, they turn on their own devices!)

You might want to look into the offerings of SiriusXM.  They have weather products that integrate with a car's navigation system.  Also for boats and planes. 

An inexpensive NOAA radio system is also an option.  There are only 8 frequencies, and many will scan for those active in your area.  You can also get them integrated into CB radios, which could be a nice emergency communication option to have in an RV.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:24:25 AM by nincehelser »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 10:37:37 AM »
Weather Stations don't forecast weather they measure it so set that notion aside. 

^^^^ This times 100. Ding Ding Ding Ding! Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

If I only had a dollar for every time someone came over and saw my weather equipment and asked me, "So what does it say the weather is going to be?"  Uuuh....SMH  #-o

I have a weather station not a forecast office.

I realize some stations may incorporate Internet forecast data but that is in addition to and separate from what is being measured.

If you are wondering about the little cloud and rain graphics on some weather station displays, yup that is all gimmick. Never works.

The only reason useful weather forecasting exists is because of weather station networks (many station's data) and computer analysis models.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:45:37 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 10:55:29 AM »
I take a VantageVue on my month long fishing trips.  I use it only to gather the weather data to compare with my fishing data. I take it down and re-install if I change locations.  I get my point forecasts from NOAA.  This fall, it recorded 52 mph wind gusts one day.  Needless to say, I didn't get any fishing in that day.

Mark

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline larryjb

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 12:50:41 PM »
Thanks all, that's a pretty good consensus that I didn't get from any Internet searches.  I kind of wondered how good (or bad, as it turns out) the forecasting features of those personal weather stations were.

I have no interest in paying for yet another service, like satellite radio, phone data plans, etc.  I still might be interested in a simple weather station that provides barometric, % humidity, and temperature.  Wind direction and speed is a little iffy when camping because winds can be so localized depending on where you are camping.  It's not going to be an option to set one up on a tall pole. 

That said, I'll look into what weather radios can do.  I already see there are many options in these radios that I don't yet understand, so that's probably where I'll begin my learning curve.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 03:26:37 PM »
Weather Stations don't forecast weather they measure it so set that notion aside. 

^^^^ This times 100. Ding Ding Ding Ding! Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

Did you bring enough for the whole class?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 05:42:14 PM »
I take a VantageVue on my month long fishing trips.  I use it only to gather the weather data to compare with my fishing data. I take it down and re-install if I change locations.  I get my point forecasts from NOAA.  This fall, it recorded 52 mph wind gusts one day.  Needless to say, I didn't get any fishing in that day.

Mark

Nice [tup]

e. 
That said, I'll look into what weather radios can do.  I already see there are many options in these radios that I don't yet understand, so that's probably where I'll begin my learning curve.

Good idea, not many traveling without a cellphone with a basic internet plan these days, you are a dying breed for sure. Life was simpler before when you came home from vacation and went to the answering machine to see what messages you had.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 05:56:55 PM »

Mark

Nice [tup]

e. 

Good idea, not many traveling without a cellphone with a basic internet plan these days, you are a dying breed for sure. Life was simpler before when you came home from vacation and went to the answering machine to see what messages you had.
Still am, and still do... [tup]

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 06:33:24 PM »

I don't listen to voice mail anymore.  I let it be translated to text.  If my phone can't figure out what they're saying, it's probably not worth listening to.

Now that my phone won't even ring unless the number is recognized in my contact list, it's even better.

anything