Author Topic: US Dept of Transportation Noise Map  (Read 4164 times)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
US Dept of Transportation Noise Map
« on: April 01, 2017, 06:54:27 AM »
The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Bureau of Transportation Statistics’ (BTS) initial National Transportation Noise Map, released today, shows that more than 97 percent of the U.S. population has the potential to be exposed to noise from aviation and Interstate highways at levels below 50 decibels or roughly comparable to the noise level of a humming refrigerator.

A much smaller segment of the U.S. resident population has the potential to be exposed to higher levels of aviation and Interstate highway noise. Less than one-tenth of a percent of the population could potentially experience noise levels of 80 decibels or more, equivalent to the noise level of a garbage disposal (See Table).

The purpose of the noise map is to facilitate the tracking of trends in transportation-related noise, by mode, and collectively for multiple transportation modes. The data allow viewing the national picture of potential exposure to aviation and highway noise. The data also allow viewing of the potential exposure at the state or county level.

https://maps.bts.dot.gov/arcgis/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=a303ff5924c9474790464cc0e9d5c9fb

This is a large ARCGIS type interactive map.  You won't be able to embed the whole thing, but you might be able to zoom in and get a screencap of your area to post on your site.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 06:56:37 AM by WeatherHost »

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
Re: US Dept of Transportation Noise Map
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 09:25:08 AM »
Wow I don;t know where they got that base map but it is at least 20 years out of date.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 11:55:24 AM »
Interesting information. It looks like many of the military airbase areas are not even shown on the map. As an example, the Naval Air Station in Fallon, NV (home of Top Gun training) shows nothing at all.

The base maps for this area of Nevada appear to be quite up-to-date as they show some relatively new roads on them that have been new in the past year or so.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 01:17:30 PM »
Doesn't show rail, marine or industrial noise either.  I've got quarries nearby that you can hear for miles when they're doing certain things.

I can see excluding industrial since it's not 'transportation'.

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 06:54:39 PM »
The roads are very current near me, however...

Looks like the newest (3rd, north-south) runway at CVG is only used by silent aircraft.  :shock:

...and they still show a former state route, just north of the current state route, as still carrying a lot of traffic.
If they had a way to show noise by time of day...they could add the north-south road running next to my location (blue X) for all the trucks using it after midnight to reach the brewery north of Woodsdale.  :-(

Yes, if it's going to include aircraft, it should include railroads.

PS - How do I insert the images into the message? The "insert Image" did nothing.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 06:58:05 PM by LFWX »
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network