Author Topic: FAA Aviation Webcams for Alaska  (Read 4822 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
FAA Aviation Webcams for Alaska
« on: June 17, 2015, 12:02:17 AM »
This is great timing. I was sitting in my doctor's office this morning and noticed an FAA Safety magazine so I picked it up. One of the first articles was about how the FAA has installed webcams at many of the major and remote airports/landing-strips throughout Alaska. The purpose of them is for the pilots to be able get a visual clue about the weather at their target airport and for alternates along their route should they be needed. Many of the remote airports have little, if any, radio communications so the webcams tell the weather story in 10-minute increments. I wonder how they get their webcam images uploaded from these remote sites where I am almost certain they don't have any Internet services unless it is via a satellite link.

The link for this service follows:
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
  • Former Aviation Weather Observer
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
Re: FAA Aviation Webcams for Alaska
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 12:10:13 AM »
Thanks for that. Never seen that one before. I wonder if they will expand that to other states. Alaska is one of the more dangerous places to fly.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 12:55:50 AM »
This is great timing. I was sitting in my doctor's office this morning and noticed an FAA Safety magazine so I picked it up. One of the first articles was about how the FAA has installed webcams at many of the major and remote airports/landing-strips throughout Alaska. The purpose of them is for the pilots to be able get a visual clue about the weather at their target airport and for alternates along their route should they be needed. Many of the remote airports have little, if any, radio communications so the webcams tell the weather story in 10-minute increments. I wonder how they get their webcam images uploaded from these remote sites where I am almost certain they don't have any Internet services unless it is via a satellite link.

The link for this service follows:
I thought you were going to say it was for spotting moose on the runway.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 02:33:59 AM »
They are done by radio and the space birds. Also some of the passes have the showing view going into the passes. This program been going for some time now. It about 20 or so years and just about got the whole state covered. As too moose yeah they would show in some pixs. But it advisable to make an pass over on the remote strip to make sure no moose or grizzly are ambling down the center line

John

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 09:26:14 AM »
We had a member here that put a webcam on his own private runway just to check for cows when landing. He was using a cellular signal.
Randy

anything