Author Topic: Need help setting up WS-8478 Falcon  (Read 767 times)

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
Need help setting up WS-8478 Falcon
« on: April 03, 2019, 09:00:04 AM »
I bought this WS last Xmas so wifie can remote monitor temps in her horse barn (3 sensors) and rain fall for the pasture.
 I can follow the set-up instructions until I reach "Configure Wi-Fi, Server Setting, and Location" then I'm lost. Looks simple enough but the organization of the manual ... well I've seen better. Could use some help walking through those steps.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Need help setting up WS-8478 Falcon
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 09:42:49 AM »
I would recommend contacting Ambient Weather for support on this matter. The WS-8478 is not very popular around users of this forum and it may be a while before one of them makes it around to seeing your message and helping you. The WS-8478 is manufactured by a different company than some of the other more popular Ambient station hardware...which are manufactured by Fine Offset. Ambient actually is a reseller of various manufacturers. But they know their stuff. Which is why I (like many other users here) which have experience with the Fine Offset stuff probably can't be of much help with your particular model since it originates from a different manufacture.

Ambient Weather support has a very good reputation of offering incredible support.

email support@ambientweather.com

But that said ....if you offer us some more details and maybe some screenshots or photos maybe we can figure it out. But since you are a new user I think there is a limitation on posting attachments to this forum until you reach a certain post count or something. So try and see what happens...or just use good words.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:48:41 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 11:15:24 AM »
Thanks. I've been nippling at the set up since February (high on my to do list, obviously). I'll try posting from my desktop instead of this cell. I can sprawl out my notes using the (physical) desktop.

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 01:12:32 PM »
So I sent this email to ambient:
< I cannot use my browser (Chrome) to connect to the WS-8478.>
< From my desktop Windows 10 PC I get this:<ws WiFi>>
< But from my browser I get this: <try 2>
< RT-AC66U is the house router.>
< What am I doing wrong?>

Offline Sir_MAK

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 02:57:41 PM »
If you are going to use the Window 10 pc you will need to unplug from the House router while you do the setup.
Ambient WS-2000, Central Ohio - WU WC
Ambient
WS-2902, Lake Erie   -    WU WC

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 03:15:19 PM »
You're saying I can't have both the on board WiFi and Ethernet Cable connections active?

I thought it was an either/or selection and the OS (Win 10) would select and use the stronger one by signal strength.

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 03:16:16 PM »
I will try that tomorrow. Thanks.

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 08:17:05 AM »
By unplugging the ethernet cable I was able to log on to the console. And with Google maps I looked up the coordinates of the location on our property where the WS is sited.
But I have further questions .

1) As to location how accurate is accurate? I moved the map cursor around til I landed on the approximate location and recorded that. My guess is I'm within 20 feet. Good enough?
2) Router & Add Router - I need what here? With the router disconnected there's nothing in the drop down.
3) Station key - the manual says "see error section".  And I found zip. So what is the station key and where will I find it?
TIA
cvt

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 06:21:58 PM »
By unplugging the ethernet cable I was able to log on to the console. And with Google maps I looked up the coordinates of the location on our property where the WS is sited.
But I have further questions .

1) As to location how accurate is accurate? I moved the map cursor around til I landed on the approximate location and recorded that. My guess is I'm within 20 feet. Good enough?
2) Router & Add Router - I need what here? With the router disconnected there's nothing in the drop down.
3) Station key - the manual says "see error section".  And I found zip. So what is the station key and where will I find it?
TIA
cvt

1) From looking at the manual it shows decimal degrees to 4 decimal places. That should be good enough.
2) Make sure router is powered when searching for WiFi network to connect to. Alternatively you can enter in SSID manually on next line if it is hidden. I don't recommend making it hidden.
3) Station Key - This is the Weather Underground station key that you get when you configure your station account on Weather Underground.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 08:12:01 PM »
Thank you.

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 08:51:42 AM »
Finally ... I think. I don't understand why it took so many attempts, certainly more than 6, possibly more than a dozen, but all the settings seem to have took (he said with a wetherly bent). At least the WiFi LED is solid blue, I'm seeing TIME - SYNC DST, the WiFi icon is steady and the Sunrise/Sunset times are being displayed.
Next I'll look at Weather Underground to see if we're listed (KFLOCAKA199) and Ambient.net.

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 10:35:33 AM »
Kay riest.
Weather Underground seems OK BUT AMBIENT took me to Personal Weather Station that wanted a login but wouldn't except what I typed and now wants me to (re) set the WS password which means I'll have to update the Underground data and means I'll need to update Ambient which means ... And around and around we go and where we stop, Nobody knows.
It is not worth the aggravation I have to contend with!