General Weather/Earth Sciences Topics > Weather Photography

Sonoran Desert Snow

(1/1)

Randall Kayfes:
Snow in the Sonoran Desert is an "about every three years-ish" or so event. When it happens it is purely magically. On 2023-03-01 at approximately 21:55 we had the pleasure of an approximately 1 to 2 inches snow event which started as .04 inches of rain with the temperature at 38.2°F. The rain dropped the temperature to 36.1°F and then the snow started. It melted instantly when hitting the ground but it stuck when it hit furniture or plants. Eventually we got slush on the ground which melted within hours but the cacti snow lasted until approximately 11:00 to 12:00 noon (2023-03-02). The lowest Temperature I recorded on my PWS was 32.6°F. The photos below are a record of what I discovered at approximately 07:00 in the Tucson Mountain Park (I literally walk out my front door and there it is).

PaulMy:
Absolutely beautiful Randall!!  Again well done.

Yes snow can be nice, but yesterday our second very wet snow storm in about a week that made shoveling more than a chore (but helped by a neighbour who is an import from Wales, UK who just adores snow!)

Picture is of snow waiting to melt for CoCoRaHS reporting.

Enjoy,
Paul

CW2274:
I was soooo hoping you'd post pics since I live in the mid 20th century and am unable. I'm not a fan of cold weather, but seeing the snow in the desert not just once, but twice in a season.... =D>

Randall Kayfes:

--- Quote from: CW2274 on March 04, 2023, 05:10:26 PM ---I was soooo hoping you'd post pics since I live in the mid 20th century and am unable. I'm not a fan of cold weather, but seeing the snow in the desert not just once, but twice in a season.... =D>

--- End quote ---

I simply cannot let a Desert Snow Event pass without documentation. Given my aches and pains I thought I would keep my expedition to a couple of pictures but alas the magic of the moment kept me out much longer and I am paying the price but a price I am glad to pay.  :roll:

jessicaroselibra:

--- Quote from: Randall Kayfes on March 04, 2023, 10:22:30 AM ---Snow in the Sonoran Desert is an "about every three years-ish" or so event. When it happens it is purely magically. On 2023-03-01 at approximately 21:55 we had the pleasure tips on how to get rid of man moobs of an approximately 1 to 2 inches snow event which started as .04 inches of rain with the temperature at 38.2°F. The rain dropped the temperature to 36.1°F and then the snow started. It melted instantly when hitting the ground but it stuck when it hit furniture or plants. Eventually we got slush on the ground which melted within hours but the cacti snow lasted until approximately 11:00 to 12:00 noon (2023-03-02). The lowest Temperature I recorded on my PWS was 32.6°F. The photos below are a record of what I discovered at approximately 07:00 in the Tucson Mountain Park (I literally walk out my front door and there it is).

--- End quote ---

Every picture is so beautiful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version