Author Topic: AZ, QC, VP2+, Vue, Data Logger, Sonic, Final Results  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
AZ, QC, VP2+, Vue, Data Logger, Sonic, Final Results
« on: April 07, 2022, 11:49:06 AM »
Instead of thread piracy (three or more that I can remember) I started a new one to summarize my final setup

I Purchased a VP2+ well over 13 years ago. Using Davis refurb offers I have replaced the cup and vane setup several times (redtail hawk for some reason did not like Davis).

I Purchased Davis Sonic Anemometer about 6 months ago and have been getting great results since and the battery is working great (Arizona has no shortage of solar recharging). I was worried about the effects of rain on the wind gusts but have not experienced any of the false ultra-high gust some have reported.

With Arizona's extreme high temperatures, I have fought barometer adjustments and CWOPs QC since the beginning. With CW2274's guidance I decided a Vue Console between my datalogger and WL for the PC, with it's (only Davis Console that can) ability to report Altimeter barometer readings was my next step. My always on WL for the PC reports to WL Live which then forwards my data to WU and CWOPs for me. I was worried since a Vue setup has no Solar/UV sensors, the Vue Console would not know how to pass those reading on. In fact the Vue Console passes on the Solar/UV and even knows it is connected to a VP2+. The 13 year old datalogger however was incompatible with the newer Vue Console. Davis has a exchange program with the datalogger for $70. So I kept the VP2+ running on the old datalogger and VP2+ console until the newer Vue combatable datalogger arrived. I was actually happy to replace the datalogger as the original was infrequently spitting out errors that were locking it up. Original VP2+ console is now a spare in the bedroom for convenance. When the new datalogger arrived I setup the Vue Console in front of my PC. I looked back at a time when the nearest airport and my VP2+ logged data at the same time and looked at the delta. I made the delta adjust on my end and they have matched perfectly ever since.

One other thing while I was checking out the four airfields close to my house (Arizona has a lot of airfields given our nearly always clear skies). I found some instances where the airfields did not meet CWOPs QC - missing thumbs up and green checkmarks. So for all of us chasing the QC take it all with a grain of salt knowing that even a Air Force base and a International Airport can get dinged.

TBL - 13 year old VP2+, with Sonic anemometer, Vue Console and new datalogger set to altimeter mode, is very consistently passing all CWOP QC checks with thumbs up and green check marks.  More important to me was matching my local airfields. However, the most important thing is my PWS is reporting to me what I feel accurate enough and error free data regardless of somebody else's QC checks.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: AZ, QC, VP2+, Vue, Data Logger, Sonic, Final Results
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 08:30:48 PM »
One other thing while I was checking out the four airfields close to my house (Arizona has a lot of airfields given our nearly always clear skies). I found some instances where the airfields did not meet CWOPs QC - missing thumbs up and green checkmarks. So for all of us chasing the QC take it all with a grain of salt knowing that even a Air Force base and a International Airport can get dinged.
QC is always a conglomeration of data so take it for what it's worth. I don't recall your MADIS ID, but I use this as my "big picture" for local comparisons. Very handy one stop shopping. If you're not one of these PWS's shown, I could rattle a cage in HQ SLC if you'd like and perhaps get your PWS added.

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/LocalWeather?zone=AZZ504

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 02:26:58 AM »
My MADIS is DW4959 and that would be awesome!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 05:53:01 PM »
As I was searching for your data, I noticed yours and TUS's overnight lows were a whopping 11-12F higher than myself and we're only miles apart, so I had to see why. Come to find out, you guys south of town had east downsloping winds off the Rincon's all night causing compressional heating whereas I did not. 8-)

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 07:22:58 AM »
I absolutely love micro-climates. Absolutely awesome to see the differences.  The wind differences can be very telling. I am right up against the Tucson Mountains with a deep ravine between Cat Mountain Peak and Little Cat Peak. So many times I can see ravine effected wind runs going through it and dominating the runs and as you observed other parts of our weather. I am so glad there are enough nearby PWS's and of course KRYN (Ryan Airfield) to confirm my data and confidence.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2022, 05:40:46 PM »

I see Marana is still there. I asked them to remove it but evidently they missed it. I'll try again.

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2022, 06:26:32 PM »
Thanks again for trying!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 06:26:56 PM »
They just removed you so I think they're fixing it as we speak.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2022, 06:36:47 PM »
Thanks again for trying!
BTW, did you know your PWS is the point and click go to wx station for the west side of town? I click on my location and I get YOUR PWS!

Harrumph...

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-111.03112793806942&lat=32.247003075534295

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 01:46:25 PM »
I am so happy to have that P&C honor - I would like to thank all my family and friends that have helped me along the way.  #-o :roll:

But looks like revenge is sweet I am still not on the Local Weather Page...  :shock:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2022, 06:59:41 PM »
But looks like revenge is sweet I am still not on the Local Weather Page...  :shock:
Perhaps I should have kept my mouth shut about the "Marana " thing since your PWS was indeed on the page. No idea if you saw it or not as it wasn't there long. I just contacted them again and hope for a favorable outcome if I haven't soured them (I don't think so).  ;)

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2022, 06:35:49 PM »
No worries they like you are often very over worked, I am sure...

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2022, 10:48:39 PM »
No worries they like you are often very over worked, I am sure...
Don't look now.... I guess you should just move to Marana.. :roll: