Author Topic: Wunderground - station offline, but showing online in WU my devices  (Read 3203 times)

Offline hackR

i don't understand what is going on...and i'm not at my house where the wifi network, station and consoles are...i have a ws-2000 with gw1000...i thought WU was updating via the gw1000 and not the ws-2000...however, ecowitt.net shows that the gw1000 is receiving information fine...yet on ambientweather.net, the ws-2000 shows the last update was 2 hours ago...in the ambientweather.net site, only ambient icon has a green check - not WU...this makes me believe that WU is receiving data from the ws-2000 and not the gw1000 as i thought...and why would WU.com site show under my devices that it is online/green, yet when the dashboard shows offline my station is not on the map...

i have the WU station id and key...is my config screwed up somehow...should i delete the station and re-add it?...if so, where and how...(as i said, i am not at the location of my station and network)...thx!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Wunderground - station offline, but showing online in WU my devices
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 03:29:51 PM »
Ambient consoles have two ways to get data to WU. They can upload directly to WU and the other way is to have Ambientweather.net upload to WU. This second method means that the console first uploads to Ambientweather.net and then that site passes it on and uploads to your WU device ID.

Of those two methods I highly recommend that the console be the one to directly upload to WU. The advantage is 16 second uploads rapidfire to WU. If the other method is used then you only get 1 minute uploads to WU because that is the upload frequency to Ambientweather.net and thus that is the limiting factor...it is indirect and not as live. If Ambientweather.net has a service outage (it happens) then your WU gets interrupted. Not like WU isn't infallible itself  :roll:

Therefore do not enable WU upload in Ambientweather.net. Have the console upload directly instead.

Moving on you have two consoles...the WS-2000 and the GW1000. As far as the WS-2000 to enable this direct WU upload there are two ways to configure this. You can configure the upload on the WS-2000 display itself or with the assistance of the awnet app. Keep in mind that if you configure it in awnet app that it isn't the app that does the upload... rather the app is just a way to enter the settings into the WS-2000 for the display itself to do the uploading. This means that if you initially configure the upload with the WS-2000 display you can verify what you entered with the awnet app as it will show you what is configured. Or you can do it the other way around and configure the WU upload with the awnet app and then go into the displays Settings / Weather Server menu and see that the awnet app properly configured the console to upload to WU.

If you want to upload to WU with the GW1000 instead of with the WS-2000 then all you need to do is blank out the fields for your WU ID and key using either the awnet app or directly on the console, but I think it is easier to use the awnet app than navigating that onscreen keyboard on the WS-2000 display.

Since you have a GW1000 then you'll be needing to use the WS View app. Because of this every reference I made to the awnet app can be done with the WS View app instead.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 03:31:47 PM »
If you are wondering why Ambientweather.net has the ability to upload to WU when the consoles can upload themselves directly. The answer is that Ambient created this ability in order to help users that struggled to configure their consoles for direct WU upload. Some people are just more technically challenged and this was just a means to provide a simple solution and not everyone needs 16 second rapidfire.
Tele-Pole

Offline hackR

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 04:23:56 PM »

If you want to upload to WU with the GW1000 instead of with the WS-2000 then all you need to do is blank out the fields for your WU ID and key using either the awnet app or directly on the console, but I think it is easier to use the awnet app than navigating that onscreen keyboard on the WS-2000 display.

Since you have a GW1000 then you'll be needing to use the WS View app. Because of this every reference I made to the awnet app can be done with the WS View app instead.

1) on the awnet app - the blanking of the fields you mention...is that the same as deleting the WU station id/key entry that shows there?...there is no devices in the device list option - which allows viewing/changing to station settings...i assume this is because i am remote and not using awnet on the same network?...
2) if i delete and/or blank out this thru awnet app, how do you configure the WU upload using the gw1000?
3) btw - on ws view app and the awnet app, both show my registered WU station id/key?...is it supposed to?
4) any idea why WU shows it offline - yet the the WU my devices shows it online?
5) it is better to use one console over another to upload to WU?...ie. benefits of using the GW1000 versus the ws-2000?

thx...R
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 05:58:51 PM by hackR »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 08:12:59 PM »
1) on the awnet app - the blanking of the fields you mention...is that the same as deleting the WU station id/key entry that shows there?...there is no devices in the device list option - which allows viewing/changing to station settings...i assume this is because i am remote and not using awnet on the same network?...
Yes blanking = deleting = erasing (on the console you use the onscreen keyboard and click on Backspace). The awnet app and WS View will show you the consoles under Device List that are on your local network. You must be on the same WiFi network to see the devices. You must have joined them to your network first though to get them on your WiFi network the first time when unboxed. But only WS View will show you the GW1000 under Device List. The awnet app will only show you the WS-2000 in the Device List (as awnet only shows Ambient branded consoles). So yes you must be home in order to manage a device using the Device List in the mobile app.

2) if i delete and/or blank out this thru awnet app, how do you configure the WU upload using the gw1000?
Stop using the awnet app. You have a GW1000 and you gain no benefit from using the awnet app...it is limited to only managing Ambient branded consoles. Just uninstall the awnet app...you don't need to do anything before uninstalling. In the WS View app you'll be able to fully manage both the WS-2000 and the GW1000.

3) btw - on ws view app and the awnet app, both show my registered WU station id/key?...is it supposed to?
Both apps have the ability to show you any WU station you want. These apps can even show you stations that don't belong to you. This is just a way to monitor a station you are interested in. This monitoring has nothing to do with management of your console nor its uploads nor with management of your WU ID. Just consider this feature a perk of the app. Anyone can download these apps and even without owning a weather station they can add a WU station to monitor.

4) any idea why WU shows it offline - yet the the WU my devices shows it online?
The My Devices configuration menu in WU is not that responsive. If you see it say that a station is Online or Offline it likely is delayed a few minutes to hours. Sometimes it just doesn't work at all. The WU dashboard can even at times not be that reliable either. Lately it has been okay though. Things are touchy with WU. Go by with what your console configuration has and trust that rather than what WU shows.

5) it is better to use one console over another to upload to WU?...ie. benefits of using the GW1000 versus the ws-2000?
Some consoles or software upload a bit differently to WU. Some can upload more frequently. Some can be changed to change the rain rate method....etc. But between the WS-2000 and the GW1000 there really is no difference because they are both really running the same code from Fine Offset and uploading in the exact same manner and pulling from the same sensors live. They will both upload every 16 seconds. It may just be a matter of personal preference. Do you want the "i" circle on your WU Dashboard to show Software: AMBweather or Software: GW1000.  There is though the fact that if you will be using the GW1000 to also feed other software (Cumulus, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, WeeWX..etc) that perhaps since that can only be done via the GW1000 that then the GW1000 be the same one uploading to WU for the sake that all uploads will share the very same barometric sensor. See the GW1000 uses its own barometric sensor (its inside the GW1000) and the WS-2000 uses that external WH32B. In some ways the internal barometric sensor is more reliable than one that requires batteries and it is another RF signal device that could potentially drop out if out of range or RF interference. The fact that the GW1000 barometric sensor is built in, I think puts that console in a bit better stance as far as things that could go wrong. If running other software that the GW1000 feeds then calibration of the GW1000 barometric sensor is then universal with all the connected shared software and places that you may upload data to. And although you can perfectly calibrate the WS-2000 barometric sensor, any two barometric sensors are going to track on their own update cycle and could potentially be slightly off from each other at about 0.1 hPa at any given moment as they track changes, which is pretty insignificant...but still it is different. The GW1000 also has better RF range and performance with all sensors than the WS-2000. This mean that it is more likely that the WS-2000 loses a sensor due to range or battery performance.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 08:14:35 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline hackR

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 09:03:37 PM »
@galfert...i really appreciate the support and education...my station is at my summer lake home and i am at my home...so - i figured out what happened today...and it's kinda funny - in a way - as a weather newbie...my wife is at our lake house and knocked the power adpater while connecting her laptop...so the station went offline!...all plugged in again...the good news is that i learned a bit more from you today!...and also determined that i am uploading to WU via the ws-2000 and not the gw1000...looks like i will have to make the change this weekend when i return to the lake...no big deal...i appreciate this community and appreciate learning...

i've always wanted to put a weather station at the lake...i'm on a 20 square mile bay of lake ontario, south of the st. lawrence river seaway...our bay, Chaumont Bay, is a fishing and sailing bay...my station takes the prevailing northwest/western winds...so those that find it, will be able to know what's going on there!...as will I!...why install the station now?...well -  after 26 years of being on this lake, we only just installed internet in March due to the covid-19 craziness...needed an alternative place to work if covid-19 escalated in our home town...raised 3 kids there...with no tv and no internet (other than our smart phones, of course)...so i figure this will be a fun hobby to learn and helpful to those looking for lake weather...

R

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 10:00:38 PM »
That is funny. I can just see her thinking that nobody is looking at that display since you were not there and she needed the outlet so she unplug it. I gotta say they are all the same and I think that just makes them that more beautiful because of the innocence. I think we all have stories like this. But it goes both ways too I think.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 10:03:35 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole