Author Topic: measuring ?  (Read 1587 times)

Offline metzeric

• Contributor
    • www.niagaracountyweatherwire.com
measuring ?
« on: June 05, 2015, 07:44:04 PM »
If my rain gauge is between lines  such as 0.04 and 0.05 which number do i report ?

Thanks

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: measuring ?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 07:46:02 PM »
I personally would round up. You surely have some evaporation as well, plus 0.5 should be rounded up :D The automatic gauges also round half values up.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 07:52:59 PM »
Per Cocorahs: As water fills up the measuring tube, a curved surface is formed called a meniscus. This meniscus is formed by the surface tension of a liquid in contact with the sides of the tube. Always read the base of the meniscus when taking measurements. Here is an illustration to help you understand this process.
Randy

Offline metzeric

• Contributor
    • www.niagaracountyweatherwire.com
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 07:57:52 PM »
Per Cocorahs: As water fills up the measuring tube, a curved surface is formed called a meniscus. This meniscus is formed by the surface tension of a liquid in contact with the sides of the tube. Always read the base of the meniscus when taking measurements. Here is an illustration to help you understand this process.

Since mine is new there is no meniscus and is a total straight line in between the numbers.  I figured each time it was between i would alternate and go higher one time and lower the next      I also have a feeling that the new manual gauge is going to make me try to calibrate me automatic one a hundred times lol.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 08:14:46 PM »
I've had that happen before also no visible meniscus . I usually go the lesser amount. My last 2 rains Davis tipping was .01 more because of this. The Davis is lagging behind .17 on year, so surprises me when I see the Cocorahs reading less.
Something else working the water droplets still in the funnel down into inner tube can makeup the amount needed sometime to reach that upper .01.
Randy

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 09:16:17 PM »

Since mine is new there is no meniscus and is a total straight line in between the numbers.  I figured each time it was between i would alternate and go higher one time and lower the next      I also have a feeling that the new manual gauge is going to make me try to calibrate me automatic one a hundred times lol.
That is exactly what I do.
I hear ya about the automatic one. I spent about 3 hours one day turning this screw a little bit, then that one a little bit etc, etc.  :grin: