Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 53808 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #950 on: April 30, 2022, 07:01:48 AM »
Cooler heads and common sense needs to prevail.
a massive change in the way we govern and operate.
Although it'll probably never happen (never say never...) but I think no more career politicians. You serve your four years or whatever and you're done. No pensions either. Have a REAL job and serve your constituents then take a hike.
Agree 100%. Most politicians go into the business wanting to do the right thing but DC and the money corrupts them. Having fresh faces every 4 years would be great.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #951 on: May 18, 2022, 04:53:41 AM »
Headline today is over 6 dollars in places.

Our average is equal too over 6 USD.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #952 on: May 18, 2022, 05:28:48 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, this thread has become irrelevant. Time to act.

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #953 on: May 18, 2022, 06:30:08 AM »
You guys are lucky we here in the UK pay about £1.60 a litre for unleaded (in a supermarket) and around £1.75+ a litre for diesel! That's about $1.99 and $2.17 litre prices respectively.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Online SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #954 on: May 19, 2022, 09:49:22 AM »
Although it'll probably never happen (never say never...) but I think no more career politicians. You serve your four years or whatever and you're done. No pensions either. Have a REAL job and serve your constituents then take a hike.
Agree 100%. Most politicians go into the business wanting to do the right thing but DC and the money corrupts them. Having fresh faces every 4 years would be great.

Well here is the flip on that...what if the person in office is doing a great job? You want to force them out then after 4 years?

The problem lies with the constituents who repeatedly elect non-functioning/ corrupt reps... Many have no understanding on the basis and history how this country came about nor the form  and processes of the government...

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #955 on: May 19, 2022, 06:11:41 PM »

The problem lies with the constituents who repeatedly elect non-functioning/ corrupt reps...
You make the point exactly. The bad ones out number the good ones by tenfold, but the mindless will still put them right back in. What's the definition of insanity... doing the same thing and expect different results? Like Forrest said "Stupid is as stupid does."  :roll:

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #956 on: May 31, 2022, 10:10:31 AM »
I filled up yesterday, Memorial Day, for $4.05/gal. The price had actually come down from $4.19 a couple of weeks ago. I've been watching prices up through OK, KS and NE for my trip at the end of July and they seem to be holding reasonably low compared to some areas in the country. But, overall this month blew my budget for food and gas!

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #957 on: May 31, 2022, 06:53:04 PM »
$4.96 for regular at Naperville, Illinois Costco today. Unfortunately, I have to use premium in my car and that was $5.63 per gallon!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 07:10:23 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #958 on: May 31, 2022, 07:08:18 PM »
Ouch $5.63/gal, that hurts. I use premium in my lawn tractor, but we're in an extreme drought this year and so I've not mowed yet except the leach field. I looked at the 5 gal can the other day and thought no way I'm spending $25 for a can of gas for a lawn mower? I normally start mowing late March and several times until now, but we're a desert this year, it's sad. And, I've noticed a lot of road kill deer, I suppose with it being as dry as it is they're having to move around more to find edible forage and some don't make it home at night.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #959 on: June 06, 2022, 11:26:10 PM »
Our local prices jumped this afternoon 20 cents per gallon between 1pm and 2pm to $5.09.  Diesel went to $5.99.  I saw them starting to change on gas buddy and made a run across town with my empty 5 gal generator / lawnmower reserve can and my mother's car that was getting down as the closest station 2 mile down the road had already increased.  But didn't make it in time.   ](*,)

Fortunately I filled my truck up a few days earlier but even with 10 cents/gal off in Kroger rewards was still $72 for 18 gallons.  I know we are doing better here then many places but the local internet group was having a discussion the other day about at what point the cost of gas would make their commute to work no longer worthwhile.  Lot of the locals run a 60-70 mile daily work commute here.  I know some rural folks in the county to our South running over 100 mile commute to work everyday  The big city slickers and politicians talk about riding a bike or taking a bus or train or the best one, just buy an electric car.  Just shows how clueless they are to what is really happening in the more rural areas of the country.  My newest vehicle is  1998 Silverado with 153K miles.  I bought it in 1998 with around 10K mile on it.  Guy traded it off early for a Nissan because he changed jobs and the MPG was killing him.  Hoping the silver cloud of this will be truck prices returning to a more sane amount before rust disintegrates mine out from underneath me.  I refuse to pay $40,50,60K for a daily driver work vehicle.  That's just absurd.  You can buy a Cadillac and a trailer for that!   :lol:

Thankfully my commute at least for now is about 12 miles round trip to work and back through the city at the top speed of 35mph.  Still a bit much for an out of shape 55 year old to do on a bike with a trailer towing a tool box an other tools.   [tup]
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 11:32:37 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #960 on: June 07, 2022, 12:08:15 AM »
The big city slickers and politicians talk about riding a bike or taking a bus or train or the best one, just buy an electric car.  Just shows how clueless they are to what is really happening
At first, I think we all believed this. However, the writing has now long since been on the wall that this is all intentional, at the price of its citizens.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #961 on: June 07, 2022, 01:10:19 AM »
The big city slickers and politicians talk about riding a bike or taking a bus or train or the best one, just buy an electric car.  Just shows how clueless they are to what is really happening
At first, I think we all believed this. However, the writing has now long since been on the wall that this is all intentional, at the price of its citizens.

I would have to agree.  I should rephrase that to intentional in the top tiers of the current government command chain with many clueless followers backing them up.  Worse it's only one of numerous topics of discussion that description could be applied to.  I'll leave it that.  I've been around here too long to make the guys have to ban me for an off forum topic political rant.   ;)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #962 on: June 19, 2022, 03:27:34 PM »
I drove to Philly and back last week. Took more stuff to Philly to move my kid into an apartment.

Gas prices all over the place

Wisconsin 4.87
Illinois      5.59
Indiana     5.35
Ohio         4.95
Penn         5.27
NJ            4.93

Indiana turnpike sucks. Pave that sucker better.
I-76 is the worse designed interstate I have ever been on.

NJ-people can pump their own gas!!!!! Millions of people do it every day around the world. I have been doing it since I was 6. In a lawn mower without an automatic shut off.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #963 on: June 19, 2022, 03:50:13 PM »
Murphy's is showing $4.32 today. My trip isn't until the end of July so we'll see what the mid country charges.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #964 on: June 19, 2022, 05:42:26 PM »
Milk is more than a gallon of gas here milk the cheaper off-brand $5.17 gas 10% corn $4.70. Well, that was yesterday's prices could have changed today. 7.5 oz can of Campbells chicken noodle soup $2.19
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #965 on: June 19, 2022, 07:15:08 PM »

I-76 is the worse designed interstate I have ever been on.

NJ-people can pump their own gas!!!!!
PA turnpike is the absolute pits. Be glad it's not winter.

I think you meant to say can't pump their own gas. Been that way since...well, never mind.  :roll:

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #966 on: June 20, 2022, 07:59:46 AM »
Maybe I should have been more sarcastic

Dear NJ,

People CAN pump their own gas. Your residents must be stupid.

Sincerely,
The rest of the world.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #967 on: June 20, 2022, 06:54:55 PM »
Ahh, I see what you meant now.  #-o  I'll leave it at that.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #968 on: June 21, 2022, 03:21:39 PM »
Question: Aren't there laws against price fixing? Seems I've heard of them in the past. Ok, so when I look at Gas Buddy for either of my two local towns for gas, the stations are all exactly to the cent the same! - now, that ain't coincidence, that's price fixing for sure! - yeah I know, retailers can sell at any price they want, but wow, it definitely kills the "free market" big time!

Now, in MX that was gov gas so it was all the same price, the only difference was which station cheated more on the amount their pumps delivered for the pesos.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #969 on: June 21, 2022, 03:40:41 PM »
Minnesota use to have a law requiring a station to set their prices at least 8 cents a gallon (I think) above their purchase price so that the larger retail stations couldn't under cut the smaller mom and pop stations and force them out of business.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #970 on: June 21, 2022, 03:54:46 PM »
Question: Aren't there laws against price fixing? Seems I've heard of them in the past. Ok, so when I look at Gas Buddy for either of my two local towns for gas, the stations are all exactly to the cent the same! - now, that ain't coincidence, that's price fixing for sure! - yeah I know, retailers can sell at any price they want, but wow, it definitely kills the "free market" big time!

Now, in MX that was gov gas so it was all the same price, the only difference was which station cheated more on the amount their pumps delivered for the pesos.

Maybe price gouging for sure but few laws are actually enforced unless you offend someone using the wrong pronouns.
Randy

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #971 on: July 04, 2022, 09:29:22 AM »
WOW, UNDER $4 A GALLON! Yes, in Marble Falls several are selling at $3.98/gal. I guess they listened when the Pres said LOWER YOUR PRICES and they did! - yeah sure and chickens moo!

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #972 on: July 04, 2022, 10:10:10 AM »
Prices all over the place here. From 4.69 to 4.17. At least the trend is going down.
Nice to see prices below $4 Steve
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #973 on: July 04, 2022, 05:12:42 PM »
Nice to see prices below $4 Steve
Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but it's still lipstick on a pig.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #974 on: July 04, 2022, 05:27:43 PM »
I hear you, but with my trip to NE coming at end of month I'm looking for any good news I can imagine. And, NE just raised their gas tax the first of the month? Looks like OK and KS are better so I'll just not buy any in NE, not that it makes a lot of difference, but whatever?

anything