Author Topic: Question about modification usb - cat 5 ftp for web camera  (Read 2048 times)

Offline weather1967

• Senior Contributor
    • Μeteo station Peristeri Athens - Greece
Question about modification usb - cat 5 ftp for web camera
« on: February 10, 2009, 05:59:08 AM »
I would like to make a question if somebody for you have try to replace the usb cable with cat 5 ftp shield for to have more distance signal for usb web camera picture .
Because i have observe after 9 meters away with usb cable ,camera lost the signal picture with pc ,and after 14 meters away it lost the signal picture with pc ,if i use hub usb with external power .
I see the usb cable it is shield like cat 5 ftp ,but the inside cables it is smaller and many-ply and not one-ply like cat 5 ftp ,and one-ply cables it is better for long distances.
I wonder if this way we can to have signal picture web camera-pc for 20 or 30 meters away

Sorry, after i saw i put this thread in wrong place ,if the moderators can to delivery at correct thread with Weather Web Cams
Thank you

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 07:38:22 AM by weather1967 »
Best regards from Greece
Dimitris
http://users.otenet.gr/~meteo/index.html

Offline baggins

• Elgin Weather
Re: Question about modification usb - cat 5 ftp for web camera
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 06:10:15 AM »
on 2 forums eh!!!....see here

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 09:23:44 AM »
The right idea Baggins, but a bit pricey, no?  :)  Any way, get a USB Over Cat  5 extended.  $18 bucks for a Sabrent  set from dealextreme.com.  They work like a charm and no splicing necessary.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline wxkpt

• Kingsport, TN Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • When The Weather Gets Tough.. Get With The Weather
    • Kingsport, TN Live and Local weather
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 07:46:48 PM »
The right idea Baggins, but a bit pricey, no?  :)  Any way, get a USB Over Cat  5 extended.  $18 bucks for a Sabrent  set from dealextreme.com.  They work like a charm and no splicing necessary.

Thats where I got mine and it works great