Weather Related Organizations > WeatherUnderground

Notification emails

(1/4) > >>

sho23:
Hello,

I've been receiving  the usual notification email "Oh no, your station stopped sending us data on "
It's an amazing feature and I love it! Finally got to test my email forwarding (it forwards the WU email to my boss)

1 - 4/29 3:00PM - 4/29 5:33PM
2 - 4/29 8:45PM - 4/29 11:42PM
3 - 5/1 10:00PM - 5/2 00:34AM
4 - 5/2 8:30PM - 5/2 11:02PM

Questions:
1. On the first email, they included the timestamp on when the station stopped sending data, but on the 2nd email, it only said that it's back up. Is it safe to assume that the timestamp of this 2nd email is when the connection was re-established?
2. I logged in and looked around the WU site and can't find where those alarming email setup and preferences are.
3. Anything obvious to you guys? I checked in with our IT folks, but so far it's root cause is not yet found. I looked at our Virtual machine that's running weatherlink, and there has been no issue there. The data on weatherlink.com is also good (but then again, WL does backfill).

WunderTodd (PWS PM):
Hi there -
Thanks for bringing this up.

Email notifications for a PWS not reporting is not an active feature right now.  But...

Something got resurrected via our 3rd party sending the emails -- and they're most likely sending out a queue of stale emails from when this feature was actually active.

We're working to shut that off via the 3rd party vendor.

Sorry for the confusion.  And yes, alerting for a downed PWS is something that's on our radar for the future.

Thanks
--WuT

sho23:
Gotcha,

Thanks for the update. We'll be waiting for when the feature is back online.  :grin:

p.s. Woo I was first to brought it up here.. pretty rare!

hazyarc:

--- Quote from: WunderTodd (PWS PM) on May 03, 2019, 02:43:14 PM ---Hi there -
Thanks for bringing this up.

Email notifications for a PWS not reporting is not an active feature right now.  But...

Something got resurrected via our 3rd party sending the emails -- and they're most likely sending out a queue of stale emails from when this feature was actually active.

We're working to shut that off via the 3rd party vendor.

Sorry for the confusion.  And yes, alerting for a downed PWS is something that's on our radar for the future.

Thanks
--WuT

--- End quote ---

Interestingly, I received the first outage email for months that my station was down last night (it was).  The timestamp was correct on when it went down, so I doubt your provider is sending stale emails.  As soon as I got it back going, I got a follow up email stating it was back online.

galfert:
Knowing that my station is down is important to me. I currently use two different weather services to be notified if my station is down plus my weather software in case of bad data also sends alerts. I don't believe in just reporting to one service anyway. This is not a bash on WU, had WU email alerts worked I would still recommend setting up other alerts because you can never trust just one.

Alerts that I use:

* Weather Underground: Back when it worked, it would send out a nice email alert. I can't remember the time frame. Maybe it was 20 minutes or 30 minutes or an hour. I just can't remember now.
* AWEKAS: When you report to AWEKAS they have a 2 hour notification alert that you can turn on. You can't modify the time frame but it works pretty reliably. It really is a shame more people don't use AWEKAS as it is free and has a helpful neighbor station comparison.
* Ambientweather.net: 20 Minute alerts and automatic alert when it resumes. I know what you might be thinking, that you don't have an Ambient station so you can't use it. Not true. If you have a Meteobridge and you get the extra Ambientweather.net license (one time $150) then your station can report to Ambientweather.net. You get a great service and it gives you Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant integration plus they have an API that is starting to be used by some 3rd party developers for some other uses. So no I wouldn't pay $150 just for an email alert, but there is much more to gain. If you have a WeatherBridge or Nano purchased form Ambient then you already have this benefit as the license is already included to publish to Ambientweather.net.
* UPDATE - March 2020 - Ambientweather.net license for Meteobridge has new lower price, now just $100
* Meteobridge: The Meteobridge has some advanced email alerting capabilities that may not be obvious how to use at first glance. But if you follow my guide you'll have it set up in no time. This notifies you if your station is putting out what the Meteobridge considers bad data. This is a different type of alert like if a sensor goes bad or your console is down. This obviously will not work if your Internet is down...which is why the other methods are still required. This method just covers things from a different perspective.
Follow these instructions to set this up which even through written with the ObserverIP in mind it still applies to other consoles:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34948.msg357305#msg357305
Other Alerts you can use:

* If you have your own hosted website you can set up alerts if it ever stops receiving data. I don't know the particulars for doing this as I'm not yet publishing to my own website, but look into this I'm sure that there must be a solution.
* I'm sure that there are other similar tips that users of other systems/services can recommend for alerts. So ask for users that have your brand station or the 3rd party software that you may be using.
* Lastly if there is an online service that is important to you and they don't provide alerts reach out to them and recommend they add this feature.

Remember don't rely on just one. Lastly test it and be sure that it doesn't end up in your Spam junk email folder and make email filters so that this does not occur.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version