Author Topic: Blitzortung Presentation - Info Needed  (Read 1145 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Blitzortung Presentation - Info Needed
« on: June 25, 2014, 06:14:58 PM »
I have been approached by a local Amateur Radio club, of which I'm a member, and asked to give a presentation on the Blitzortung system.

Since this sounds like a great idea given that we are actively trying to recruit new station ownership throughout the US, I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on what and how to present Blitzortung to a group. Do any such presentations already exist that are suitable for our purposes? Other than the main Blitzortung document, I haven't been able to find anything to use. Perhaps this would be a great opportunity, as a community ourselves, to develop a presentation that all of us could use. I'm willing to help put it together but I would most certainly need some assistance from others in gathering the ideas. I'm thinking about a rather simple PowerPoint slideshow or something similar.

If anyone has any comments, ideas or pointers to resources that may already be available, please post them in this thread.

One thing I am thinking about doing once the presentation is finalized is to put it in a video format with audio narration so it could be viewed by one or more folks. We could also upload it to YouTube so anyone can easily view it.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
Re: Blitzortung Presentation - Info Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 06:21:19 PM »
Don,

You may want to ask Tobi if he has a recommended presentation.   Based on all they have been doing, I would think he does.

Good luck,

Joe
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 06:57:26 PM »
Tobi and Egon presented at the 2013 SevereWeatherCongress a very nice paper that used a lot of our station photos (mine included).

He asked that it not be published and it is in German. You might contact him and see if it could be used as a starting point and/or translated. Definitely get permission from him and Egon first.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Billl

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 08:02:25 PM »
If it helps, I put together a system interconnect diagram a while back that you're welcome to use.  [attached]

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:36:04 PM »
Ah, Donnie.. you know how to talk to HAMS... no BS... straight forward... no speculation, "I don't know that"... I'd give a very brief overview, emphasize the fun aspect, perhaps, and then let them lead me with questions... they're gonna wanta compare with Boltek et. al.. about all I've ever done with folks is suggest that about the only thing we have in common, is that both systems detect strikes, one is commercial, and one is MINE, by golly. I built it, I tweak it, and doggone if I haven't figured out how some of it actually works... ain't that a HAM?  (Well... old school, anyway...) And I can get instant aural and visual feedback on what I've done. Not only that, but I get to know cool folks like Cutty Sark Sailor, Jumpin' Joe, and those definitely ain't CB handles... :twisted:
You can use any of my images including Blitzorduck... need the links?

TV Doctor

oops... that was my old CB handle from another galaxy far far away across space and time... wonder whatever happened to that linear I built? hmmmm......

Mike

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 10:34:36 PM »
If it helps, I put together a system interconnect diagram a while back that you're welcome to use.  [attached]

Bill,

That is a very nice pictorial drawing you have put together. The only thing that has recently changed is that the E-field Amplifier board should be as close to the Controller board. This means you can run long lengths of RG-6 coax from the E-field Pre-amp board to the E-field Amp board. That minimizes timing issues due to the delays inherent in the signals coming out of the E-field amplifier to the Controller. Otherwise, your drawing is spot-on and well done.  =D>

It would make a great presentation item too. I'll keep that in mind as I move forward with my thoughts on a presentation. It's technical enough but not too technical for most audiences.

Thanks,
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 10:48:24 PM »
Ah, Donnie.. you know how to talk to HAMS... no BS... straight forward... no speculation, "I don't know that"... I'd give a very brief overview, emphasize the fun aspect, perhaps, and then let them lead me with questions... they're gonna wanta compare with Boltek et. al.. about all I've ever done with folks is suggest that about the only thing we have in common, is that both systems detect strikes, one is commercial, and one is MINE, by golly. I built it, I tweak it, and doggone if I haven't figured out how some of it actually works... ain't that a HAM?  (Well... old school, anyway...) And I can get instant aural and visual feedback on what I've done. Not only that, but I get to know cool folks like Cutty Sark Sailor, Jumpin' Joe, and those definitely ain't CB handles... :twisted:
You can use any of my images including Blitzorduck... need the links?

TV Doctor

oops... that was my old CB handle from another galaxy far far away across space and time... wonder whatever happened to that linear I built? hmmmm......

Mike

Well, I don't remember what my old CB handle was but I did have two FCC call-signs. The first one (in the 50's) was 4W1846. Later on, the FCC decided that USA-licensed radio stations had to begin with a W, K, A, or N. So they reissued everyone new call-signs. Mine became KBI8954. I used that call until the mid-60's. Never built a linear mainly because my Dad was in communications for the US Govt and it was kind of expected that we would follow the rules (gee, isn't that a novel idea?  :shock:)

Anyway, I agree the presentation should follow the KISS principle. However, I was specifically asked by a local ham how all of the data I collect gets into a database and then processed for tabulation and display around the world. It's a good question and made me realize that I really don't know much about how the data is handled by the servers and the processing of that data. That led me to ask the question is anyone had any info about the Blitzortung system. As suggested, I have already sent Tobi a private email this afternoon. I'll await a response from him for any further action on my part.

In the meantime, I'm looking around to see what I can find. I also looked at YouTube but there is very little useful information about Blitzortung.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 12:39:07 AM »
Well, I don't remember what my old CB handle was but I did have two FCC call-signs. The first one (in the 50's) was 4W1846. Later on, the FCC decided that USA-licensed radio stations had to begin with a W, K, A, or N. So they reissued everyone new call-signs. Mine became KBI8954. I used that call until the mid-60's.

I remember my dad's CB license no from around 1965:  KBL-6016.  It's funny what you remember after all those years.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

anything