Author Topic: In case anyone is interested in E-field antenna/preamp mount  (Read 928 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
We'll see if this lasts.

In case anyone is interested, here's how I mounted my E-field preamp and antenna, for the time being at least.

A junction box from the local Do It Yourself store, electrical (not plumbing) section.  The box is just the right size, but the Fconnector takes a bit of careful attachment with a needle nose pliers (all the time remembering Mike's 'ham handed' approach).

E1. jpg here

Then I put a small notch in the supporting tube a few inches below, to provide a place to put a zip tie around the coax.  In order to make a little more gripping area, I measured where the notch would be on the coax, and applied some tape to create the 'pig in a python' bump for the tie to grasp.  I realize that the notching significantly weakens the pipe, and I might think about wrapping it with something substantial to restore the strength but it doesn't seem to bad, especially after I wrapped it with tape for the seal, then applied elephant snot over it to really keep the moisture out.  Coax seal tape would probably also work, or the 3M self vulcanizing tape.

E3,4,5 here.

More in next response.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
Re: In case anyone is interested in E-field antenna/preamp mount
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 08:14:09 PM »
In case one wanted, a Dremel could be used to open a square in the cover right over the LED pilot light and secure a clear window over it.

I put dielectric grease on the pipes before I put them into the ends of the box.

I put the whole thing on a post on my elevated deck, about 20' away from the house.  I'll move it further out when I get the rest of the remote support done.

E6 here.

Anyone know how to insert photos and follow with more text?  Maybe this board doesn't support that function where a picture, text another picture more text is used to comment.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 08:18:15 PM »
My test area.

E7
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 08:43:08 PM »
Nice work - the PVC solution seems to work very well for quite a few people.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 08:45:26 PM »
My test area.

E7

Somebody must really like Kikkoman...  :grin:

Greg H

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 09:24:59 PM »
Kikkoman:

Fifi, who owns the wonderful Shanghi Bistro restaurant in town is a sucker for fresh flowers.  So when I bring her some she runs in back to grab some plastic pails.  They'd toss them until she found out a lot of people use them around their places, so she stashes them now.

I can't imagine they go through that much (5 gallons!) of Kikkoman, but she has a whole STACK of them!

They do well around the place.  Holds dirt while digging in the garden, chains for the snow plow over the summer, your H-field antenna that needs a temporary holder.  You know.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

anything