Author Topic: So what do I need..........?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline duke666

• Senior Contributor
    • Nightingale Weather
So what do I need..........?
« on: February 09, 2014, 03:47:49 PM »
Like many of you, it has been years since I built anything this small and intricate so any advice would be gratefully received. I have started reading through the forum and I am sure to pick up some good advice.

I've ordered myself a new anti-static mat and wrist strap along with a new Antex 12w(0.5mm tip) soldering iron (I assume the tip will be already grounded?).

I believe some extra magnification for the 'aging' eyes is also recommended?

As for testing/fault finding, I do not have access to a scope these days but do know my way around with a 'DVM' so hopefully this will suffice.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: So what do I need..........?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 05:15:24 PM »
There is an excellent guide in this forum compiled by W3DRM. http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=20037.msg201818#msg201818
My tidbit of advice is to measure the resistors and group them by marked value. You only need to measure on a paper strip and mark the strip. Some of the colors were tough to read for me, even though I know the color code.
The trickiest parts are the GPS and SOIC8 Op Amps. There is some advice in the referenced link.
Don't forget to download the PDF, TOA_Blitzortung_RED.pdf. I would recommend using Don's checklists or at least printing out the parts list to check off as you insert/solder the parts.
These and many more tips are in the guide that Don put together.

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 11:06:27 PM »
I probably should update the document so it is more up-to-date. The boards and components have changed some since I built my RED system so not all components I have listed will be accurate. Some of the op amps are now SMD's rather than pinned ic's.

As Greg has said, it will at least get you started. My main suggestion is for you, or anyone else just receiving their new BO kits, is to fully inventory everything you receive to make certain you are not missing any components. The second thing is to identify every single component and if it is a resistor, mark their values on the paper tabs they are attached to. I personally measured every resistor to be sure I read the color bands correctly. It is well worth taking the extra time to do this so your installation goes smoothly. When inserting the components be sure you take into account the height of the part, especially for those that will have another board sitting above it. The Blitzortung doc and my document point these items out to help you not forget about this major item.

Soldering is probably the most critical piece of the build. If you are not familiar with soldering or haven't soldered in a long time, I would suggest going to Radio Shack or some other electronics parts store and buying a circuit board and some 1/8w resistors and small capacitors to practice on. It is much better to destroy a practice board than the real thing. Your solder joints should always be nice and shiny when you are done. If they look cracked or like they are etched, try again. Applying the right amount of solder takes practice, practice, practice. Oh did, I say it takes lots of practice to get good at soldering. Google "soldering" and you will find thousands of links. I would suggest looking at YouTube for soldering videos too.

Good luck building your new kit and do ask questions if you aren't certain about anything. There are many folks here on this forum and in the Blitzortung forum who can help you get through the process. Just don't be afraid to ask questions.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:08:35 PM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 05:17:16 AM »
Welcome aboard!
Don and Greg summed it up pretty well. Don't worry whether you have a scope or not. I didn't. All I did was exactly what Don said do... inventory, check, solder carefully. Patience.   If you practice those, you won't need to trouble shoot!  The rest is learning what the thing is saying, how to calibrate, what it's doing, etc... and... is that signal or dadblamed neighbor's plasma tv???
Couldn't help but chuckle over Don's last paragraph:
Good luck building your new kit and do ask questions if you aren't certain about anything. There are many folks here on this forum and in the Blitzortung forum who can help you get through the process. Just don't be afraid to ask questions.
What you see on this forum is only the tip of the iceberg. Last year as we were getting this thing rolling, we burned up hyperspace figuring things out. (Still are, to a degree). The point I want to emphasize:
Any sticky point, strange question, problem, whatever.. stop right there, throw it at us. We've probably already pulled our hair out over it, and you don't have to.
Oh... Generally, the end of the soldering iron opposite the power cord is the hot end...

Mike

Offline duke666

• Senior Contributor
    • Nightingale Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:47:09 AM »
Oh... Generally, the end of the soldering iron opposite the power cord is the hot end...
Thanks for that Mike, but, my eyes haven't got that bad quite yet, but perhaps I should proceed quickly with assembly :grin:

Thanks for the above comments and suggestions, all documentation down loaded. I have filled in my details on the Blitzortung site last night and I am waiting for a reply.......

Offline duke666

• Senior Contributor
    • Nightingale Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 02:29:17 PM »
Guys, I've filled my details in on the Blitzortung website a couple of times now (correctly ;)) but no reply. It says if no reply in 24 hours try again :-(

Is there an email address that details can be sent to?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 03:06:05 PM »
See the email address in the last tab:

E-Mail:  info (at) blitzortung.org

(at)=@ of course.

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682