Author Topic: Controller pics  (Read 2524 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Controller pics
« on: August 04, 2013, 06:32:07 PM »
Here is a photo of the controller board mounted into the clear cover Bud box. I take the lazy way and drilled 1" holes with the hole saw.

Note the "reset" button. I re-purposed a CDROM audio cable. There is NRST/GND pair of header pins on the P1 of the ST board. The reset switch is momentary contact of course. The closure resets the processor.

I have a bit of a problem with the ST board mini-USB jack. I can't plug into this connector when the board is seated. I am going to look for a right-angle connector.

Here is the wall jack that passes out to the garage. I just added the ground wire which connects to a copper vent stack pipe (it is grounded). It seems to have helped. The connectors are a BNC for GPS, a 5-way binding post for grounding and the shielded RJ45 for the antenna amplifier.

Sorry about the drywall dust/debris, I took this before vacuuming..

Greg H.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 06:47:27 PM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Controller pics
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 06:47:35 AM »
Micro-usb right angle connector:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/micro-usb-male-female-m-f-right-Angle-90-connector-adapter-/350835244656?pt=US_USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item51af68fe70

Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered this from Newegg. The Moto one looked like it had the minimum width of right-angle adapters that I found.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA07R0AF0613

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 07:14:47 AM »

Sorry about the drywall dust/debris, I took this before vacuuming..

Greg H.

Huh? You actually cleaned up afterwards?  I hope my wife doesn't see that...

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 06:04:22 AM »
While installing my Red controller in the BUD NEMA box, I prepared a harness that plugged into the pins on the top of the STM32F4Discovery board for the two external pushbutton switches I mounted on the case. The NRST line for hard reset and PA0 line for the user blue button appear on one of the pair of rows of parallel pins on the top of the board.

As expected, hard reset was triggered by grounding the NRST line. However, grounding PA0 did not control the LCD display - no effect. I checked the schematic and found that the NRST line has a pull up resistor to keep the line at +5vdc when the button is open.

However, the PA0 button was wired in reverse. There was a pull down resistor on PA0 that kept the line at 0vdc when the button was open. It was necessary to bring PA0 to +5vdc to trigger the LCD and other control functions.

Therefore, GND and NRST need to go to the momentary SPST button for reset.  +5vdc and PA0 need to go to the LCD control switch.

I used Greg's idea of using an internal PC audio cable to make the three connections (all in a line) to VDC, GND and NRST. I used an old portable phone battery connector and wire to connect to the PA0 line, which is a few pins down from the other three signals on the pins. I cut the black wire off the repurposed battery connector to avoid bringing the adjacent signal to PA0 up to switches. I thought this might cause noise pickup on that line.

Regards,

Don
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 06:07:39 AM by dfroula »

anything