Author Topic: WR with selectable alerts  (Read 2269 times)

Offline larryjb

WR with selectable alerts
« on: November 09, 2019, 12:59:19 AM »
I see that the Sangean Cl-100 has the ability to block specific types of alerts that may not be relevant to your specific area.  Unfortunately, the Cl-100 has to be plugged in all the time or you will go through batteries like candy.

1)  For the Cl-100, if you go through the trouble to block some alert types, then remove the batteries and power, do all your settings get lost, or are they saved?  This radio may still be on my list of possibilities if this is possible.  If I have to redo all my settings every time I get the radio out for camping, that will be a pain.

2)  I really like the portable radio as well, (DT-800).  Unfortunately, for that radio, I don't think it is possible to block certain types of alerts.  All you can do is turn the alerts off.  If we are camping, I would want wildfire alerts active, but not some other types of alerts.  Is there a portable weather radio out there that does allow selective alert blocking?

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
Re: WR with selectable alerts
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 01:50:27 AM »
A lot of reviews on Amazon say that the batteries are drained WHILE the radio is on AC power. That is not a good feature for a weather alert radio, even if your settings are saved.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 08:31:13 AM »
A lot of reviews on Amazon say that the batteries are drained WHILE the radio is on AC power. That is not a good feature for a weather alert radio, even if your settings are saved.

I'm going through that right now.  I sent mine in, but they say they can't find anything wrong with it.  They are, however, sending me a new one.

Settings weren't saved for me.

Offline larryjb

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 02:27:10 PM »
The Sangean PR-D4W may be a good one to consider.  The alerts can be set to visual only.  But the selectable alerts of the CL-100 looks really nice too.  If I were to go for the CL-100, I think I'd want to use it with the batteries in a ziplock back ziptied to the side and keep it plugged in.  The, while camping without power, install the batteries.

I wouldn't want the family to be woken up to an alert that isn't relevant to us. BUT, if a wildfire broke out, I'd want to know about that.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 08:14:54 PM »
For most people the decision is often between the Sangean CL-100 and the Midland WR400. But neither of these are really designed for portability but rather for tabletop and AC mains use. The batteries are as a backup for the clock and perhaps for radio usage during a power outage.

I've had a CL-100 for 6 years. I've never had to reprogram it. I have two county zip codes programmed. I'm using the default alerts. If I pull the batteries and the AC at the same time the only thing I lose is the date and clock. My programmed multiple zip codes are not lost. I change the batteries every couple of years. I never gave it much thought that batteries needed to be replaced even though it is always on AC, because there are power outages. The thing to realize about this radio is that even when you don't have it turned on for listening the display is on and it is always listening to the set weather station if you have that weather alert switch flipped on. So to me it seems normal that it uses batteries even when on AC (because of power loss events). This past year though I decided to let the radio be without any batteries. I don't care about alerts if I have no power...because I install them then if I feel the situation warrants being alerted. Most of the time I just experience a power outage of 2 or 3 hours tops. When power comes back after a short while the clock sets itself so I don't care if the clock is not set right away after power is returned.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:33:31 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 08:50:53 PM »
The thing to realize about this radio is that even when you don't have it turned on for listening the display is on and it is always listening to the set weather station if you have that weather alert switch flipped on. So to me it seems normal that it uses batteries even when on AC.

That is not normal for a certified Public Alert radio.  When the power adapter is plugged in, power should be drawn from that source, not the batteries.  The batteries are reserved for backup operation.

From NOAA: https://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/info/nwrrcvr.html#residential
Battery backup: Since power outages often occur during storms, having a receiver with battery backup can be crucial. However, unless you have a portable unit which you will use away from other power sources, an AC power connection is recommended to preserve battery life. (Public Alert ™ - required for radios, optional for other devices)

An emergency radio that doesn't work under emergency conditions is rather useless.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 08:57:34 PM »
My point is that batteries are being used because of power outage events. People are surprised that batteries are depleted but they don't realize that perhaps outages occurred and the radio used up the batteries then.
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 09:41:30 PM »
My point is that batteries are being used because of power outage events. People are surprised that batteries are depleted but they don't realize that perhaps outages occurred and the radio used up the batteries then.

It's pretty clear a number of CL-100 radios are quickly depleting their batteries without any outages.  That's the problem.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 10:25:58 PM »
I'm tempted to do a parasitic drain test with my DMM. Maybe I'll set this up. I'm thinking put a piece of cardboard at the negative terminal and then tap both sizes.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 11:38:01 PM »
Sangean CL-100 Battery Drain Test Performed.

- Brand new set of 4 AA Duracell batteries 2027 expiration
- 1.55 V each (6.2 V total combined tested)
- Fluke 87V used for testing

AC disconnected
Weather switch OFF
Radio not in use
0.022 Amps battery use (display and clock usage)

AC disconnected
Weather switch ON
Radio not in use
0.041 Amps battery use

AC disconnected
Weather switch ON or OFF
FM radio ON (normal volume)
0.088 Amps battery use

AC connected
Weather switch ON or OFF
Radio ON or OFF
0.001 Amps battery use (same as what DMM shows when leads not connected...this means zero)

I guess I got a good CL-100. Purchased Dec 2013. System version 2.10.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 11:42:55 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline larryjb

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 12:21:03 AM »
Galfert, what year is your CL-100?  I see a lot of complaints from 2018 on.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 12:24:50 AM »
It says it is from Jan 2012 with system version 2.10. I purchased it Dec 2013.
Amazon has carried this model since 2004.
Tele-Pole

Offline larryjb

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 12:41:32 AM »
The problem seems to be affecting newer models, even some in 2019.

The Midland WR400 also has selectable alerts.  I'll be considering the Midland.  The use of batteries during a camping trip may be acceptable.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 08:25:36 AM »
You could buy a CL-100 and test it as I did. This is a simple test anyone can do. All you need is a DMM with DC Amps capability. Then return the CL-100 if defective. Amazon has free returns.

Not everyone needs a Fluke 87V ($350). A Fluke 107 would work which is a reasonable price ($87). If you need True RMS and don't want to pay for Fluke brand (like for at least a Fluke 117 $176) then the AstroAI 6000 is a very popular choice($34). Everyone should have a DMM.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 08:34:20 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 08:51:51 AM »
From my discussions with Sangean, there's a good chance the problem is actually in the AC adapter.

Offline larryjb

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 09:12:24 AM »
You could buy a CL-100 and test it as I did. This is a simple test anyone can do. All you need is a DMM with DC Amps capability. Then return the CL-100 if defective. Amazon has free returns.

Not everyone needs a Fluke 87V ($350). A Fluke 107 would work which is a reasonable price ($87). If you need True RMS and don't want to pay for Fluke brand (like for at least a Fluke 117 $176) then the AstroAI 6000 is a very popular choice($34). Everyone should have a DMM.

I've got a clamp Fluke already.  I got it for checking the current going to my e-brakes on the trailer.  But, I've got the rear defogger grid wiring to fix (connector burned out), a leaking vent on my trailer, my parents deck to power wash, ....  I'd love to try playing, but I have enough other projects going on already.  Also, while I live in Canada, I usually order using Amazon.com and pick up just across the border.  It becomes a pain to have to return items using Amazon.  And then, if CBP makes me pay taxes, I don't think I'll get a refund on those!  (Try asking a CBP agent for that, I don't think so!)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 02:32:51 PM »
I got a new replacement CL-100 from Sangean today. 

The power supply seems bigger than I remember.  It also has a hefty ferrite. 

On top of the documentation is a big note that they had to change to a switching power supplies under a mandate from the DOE, and that it might cause interference in the AM band.

I don't remember seeing those things on my first unit.

I guess we'll see if the batteries drain unexpectedly or not.

Update: When they say the power supply causes AM interference, they weren't kidding!  I guess I can't keep it were I did before.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 03:02:07 PM by nincehelser »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 04:45:53 PM »
Was it under warranty? Or are they doing this for those that have had it longer than a year?

Can you post some pictures of the new power supply and ferrite core?
Tele-Pole

Offline larryjb

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 05:59:33 PM »
Can you do a current draw test like Galfert?

Does the interference affect the NWR broadcast bands as well?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 08:05:49 PM »
Can you do a current draw test like Galfert?

Does the interference affect the NWR broadcast bands as well?

FM and WX bands are clear.

A short-term measure of the battery current isn't going to tell you much.  If the draw was that obvious the problem would have been corrected long ago.

anything